Step by step - new system advice

Hi all, 

I'm a noob here and I've done some searching already, but I'm in a bit of an odd situation and would like some advice please. 

Being recently divorced has been both a curse and a blessing. A curse because I'm starting everything again with only (some) of my clothes on my back, and a blessing because 1- I'm significantly happier, and 2- I get to start all over again! I get to design and build a new EVERYTHING! For example, I got an old timber bedframe for my son, we've sanded it back and we're about to stain it red and blue for Spiderman, might even paint some black web on the bedhead :D 

I can't afford to go all out audiophile straight away, however. Re-establishing a life ain't cheap :D  

So after reading through some threads on here, I think I know the direction I'd like to head in and want to offer this up for some expert scrutiny and advice please :)

The overarching philosophy is to piece good quality components together slowly, so I can add functionality as it grows.

I suspect the right way to do this is start with a good 2.0 setup that I can use for music and movies (music is more important). Overtime, I can add in a turntable, sub, centre, rears etc However, I would also want it for streaming via wifi (bluetooth is acceptable), as I'm also starting a smart home setup. I am loving "hey google, play some music" and some random heavy metal starts on my google speaker! 

So am I incorrect looking for two floor standing loudspeakers and a wifi compatible receiver?

Or am I looking at this the right way? If so, which are the more affordable brands to look out for?  Are the Yamaha MusicCast systems any good, or is it a gimmick for low-end systems? The thought of having a multiroom setup (particularly for my son's room) that connects with a voice assistance is really attractive to me. 

Loving this forum! Thanks for reading!

I assume budget is limited?  So suggest looking through Classifieds.

My suggestion is to go down the BlueSound route with its easy to use BluOS and updated regularly. Start with a used Node 2 and used integrated. Or go used PowerNode, which does not appear often.  

BluOS is also used on NAD and the end goal could be the high end M33.

Keep things simple and trust your ears...

Hi Azz,

Having recently downsized / simplify my Hifi & TV sound system, I can recommend Bluesound.

I had a Sonos 5.1 system which I can't even get Dolby Digital out of (Panasonic OLED owners will understand).

I replaced them all and also modernised my hi-fi setup with the Powernode 2i.

Not only I'm getting superior TV sound (proper bookshelf speakers are better than a soundbar to my ears), I can now stream MQA direct in-app, play FLAC files,  listen to HD radio, etc.

Good luck!

Usually the advice will be to start with speakers, and then match equipment to those chosen speakers.  Having said that, if you have a good idea of amplification, then get advice as to what people here have found to match well.  To choose a set of speakers, please let everyone know:

- room size and shape, and where speakers will likely be placed.  Can they be placed out from the wall/corners?  Maybe do a simple drawing with some sort of scale?

- type of music primarily listened to, and at what sort of volumes?

- aesthetic considerations (do you prefer piano black, timber, other finishes)?  Size and how they may/may not dominate the room.

- preference between floorstanders vs speakers on stands?  Sound-wise, there will be pros and cons for each type in your particular setup.

Once that's all answered, people here will give you loads of ideas, and you may score a bargain in the forums!

Have fun.  Mat

• 2 weeks later...

On a tight budget - buying used (if you are open to this idea) will help you get a higher quality system at a much lower cost.

For floor standers, here are a couple of good examples currently available on the classifieds here

Good luck with the hunt....