FS: Murasakino Sumile Reference Moving Coil Cartridge

Item Condition: New
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Australia
State: WA
Payment Method: EFT, Cash
Reason for selling: Promotion

RRP: $14,999

Further information:  Vinyl playback makes up a significant part of our business and we didn't want the vinyl lovers to miss out. Analogue playback is a complex beats but it's inarguable that a lot of systems are let down by a sub standard cartridge. We want to change that.

While this will be a stretch for some buyers we would also argue that it represents an attainable pathway into an absolute reference class cartridge for many members unwilling or unable to spend 5 figures on a cartridge. Again there are a multitude of glowing reviews on this cartridge but like many of the items we bring into Australia this allows you to stop worrying if you could go a little better and a little higher an simply enjoy the bets that modern hifi has to offer.

We have 1 unit under this offer at a 50% discount.

Reviews

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/12/murasakino-sumile-mc-cartridge-review_15.html

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/the-murasakino-musique-analogue-sumile-mc-phonograph-cartridge-from-japan/

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/the-14th-annual-positive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2017/

589543107_(.thumb.JPG.6f7c74566e5d7b835f890df59ccc00fe.JPG

Edited by Epiphany Audio
Formatting
  • Like 1

Fascinating cart - and a great review at Positive Feedback.  :thumb:

At a coil impedance of 1.2 ohms, I would think it needs to be used with a head amp, to get the best out of it.  As it has a nominal output of 0.35mV, to get the output up to what most MM phono stages like, you need 10-15x gain.

Trouble is ... a 1:10 SUT delivers a load of 470 ohms to the cart, whereas a 1:15 SUT delivers 209 ohms.  I would think the optimal load for the Sumile could be anywhere between 12 ohms (10x coil impedance) and 120 ohms (100x) - a head amp readily gives you the flexibility to try out values between these values.

I'm slightly confused about the price?  You say "We have 1 unit under this offer at a 50% discount" - and quote an RRP of $14k; 50% of $14k is $7k ... yet you're offering it at $7,499?

Andy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Fascinating cart - and a great review at Positive Feedback.  :thumb:

At a coil impedance of 1.2 ohms, I would think it needs to be used with a head amp, to get the best out of it.  As it has a nominal output of 0.35mV, to get the output up to what most MM phono stages like, you need 10-15x gain.

Trouble is ... a 1:10 SUT delivers a load of 470 ohms to the cart, whereas a 1:15 SUT delivers 209 ohms.  I would think the optimal load for the Sumile could be anywhere between 12 ohms (10x coil impedance) and 120 ohms (100x) - a head amp readily gives you the flexibility to try out values between these values.

I'm slightly confused about the price?  You say "We have 1 unit under this offer at a 50% discount" - and quote an RRP of $14k; 50% of $14k is $7k ... yet you're offering it at $7,499?

Andy

Great Spot @andyr we had an RRP typo - thank you!

Thanks for the loading information, we have recently had a query on this very topic and I'm sure others will find it useful.

Hi,

I supppose that you are assuming the phono stage input resistance is the usual 47,000 ohms?

So a SUT with a 1:10 ratio gives 10x10 = 100 divided into 47000 = 470 ohms.

But if you have a phono stage with adjustable input resistance then you can work out the best setting

for your SUT and mc.

For example, a fairly common 1 : 20 SUT works out as  20 x 20 = 400 divided into 47,000 = approx 117 ohms. As long as the mm input was not overloaded by the SUT output: 0.35 x 20 = 7mV.

On 10/01/2021 at 11:59 AM, bigfunhorns said:

Hi,

I supppose that you are assuming the phono stage input resistance is the usual 47,000 ohms?

So a SUT with a 1:10 ratio gives 10x10 = 100 divided into 47000 = 470 ohms.

But if you have a phono stage with adjustable input resistance then you can work out the best setting

for your SUT and mc.

For example, a fairly common 1 : 20 SUT works out as  20 x 20 = 400 divided into 47,000 = approx 117 ohms. As long as the mm input was not overloaded by the SUT output: 0.35 x 20 = 7mV.

You have the maths correct, bfh.  :thumb:

Yes, I assumed the default MM input resistance of 47K ... I've never come across an MM phono stage which offers adjustable input resistance via a pot.  (I make my own 'Muse' MM with 100K as the default - to cope with old Japanese MM carts - but allow parallel resistors to be used ... so 89K brings it down to the standard 47K ... and 53,600 brings it down to around 35K ... which wood-bodied Grado Reference models like).

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1