Don't bother reading lol

Dr.Azz

Hey everyone! Finding this community has come at an amazing time for me! 

I'm very recently divorced and re-establishing my life and re-engaging with my passions. It's been a difficult but wonderful experience to rebuild everything how I want it after being in such a difficult relationship. 

I'm a muso for the past 25 years, played bass in numerous metal bands in Sydney for most of that time, excluding the marriage. Needless to say, I'm already getting back up on the "join a band" horse! Needless to say, music and audio is a massive passion of mine. 

Currently, thinking about a sound system is my next priority, which is how I stumbled across this community on google. I read a couple of threads and I was hooked - you really get it.  My thoughts, prior to landing here, was to get a sonos sound bar and surround speakers and the thought of that left me so uninspired. How do I plug a turntable into that? Why not look for a proper hi-fi system that will work for my music, my tv and a turntable (also my music, ha!) - here I am :)

I'm so excited to be here and can't wait to see where this rabbit hole leads! 

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

All I can say is too look locally.

There is so much great Aussie made gear available and of course if you are patient something will come up in the classifieds here often for half or less of the new price. Are you planning to mainly listen to metal and hard stuff or so you have diverse tastes. If it's just metal you probably would appreciate lots of power and control and  speakers that are on the more forgiving side. So much of rock, infact so much of everything isn't so we'll recorded so very  accurate systems can make your collection unlistenable. I know. I went down this direction and stopped listening to most of my music because it all sounded so harsh. 

I now have a little 8 watt SET amp and reasonable efficient speakers and although it doesn't go loud it sounds good fot most stuff.  I wouldn't recommend that for you as  I imagine you will want plenty of headbanging volume and speaker control. SS or even digital is probably the way you'll want to go. But push pull tube amps might be an option too with efficient speakers.  How much do you want to spend. What sound do you want. Do you want to Rock the house or hear into the music. Everything is a compromise. Sometimes you can get a lot of most of what you want but you can never get it all.

• Like 1