SOLD: Audiolab 8000A Integrated Amplifier

SOLD
Item Condition: Excellent
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: Edgecliff
State: NSW
Payment Method: PayPal, EFT, Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: Upgraditis

PRICE DROP!

Why Buy?

Voted by What Hi-Fi? in 2018 as one of the best 19 stereo amplifiers in the magazine’s lifetime, the Audiolab 8000A is a classic British design that offers plenty of everything: power, transparency, dynamic range.

I have been the only owner of this excellent unit since purchase in about 1997. Mid-last year I invested $440 in significant maintenance, repairs and upgrade, not just to achieve sonic excellence, but to ensure it will last for another 20 years. (Work was done by acclaimed technician, William Crampton at Factory Audio in Canberra – see statement of work for details of his work on this amp.)

No significant marks or blemishes at all, but unfortunately one button (the ‘Speakers’ button, which I have never needed to use) was lost many years ago.

Specifications

• Power output: 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms (stereo) (but mine hit 64W – see Williams note on the statement of work)
  • Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
  • Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
  • Input sensitivity: 0.11mV (MC), 2mV (MM), 100mV (line)
  • Signal to noise ratio: 75dB (MC), 78dB (MM), 80dB (line)
  • Channel separation: 60dB (line)
  • Output: 100mV (line), 0.7V (Pre out)
  • Speaker load impedance: 4 ohms to 16 ohms
  • Dimensions: 445 x 74 x 335mm
  • Weight: 7.6kg

Photos

Audiolab 8000A top.jpg

Audiolab 8000A.jpg

Audiolab 8000A left front.jpg

Audiolab 8000A rear.jpg

Audiolab 8000A rear right.jpg

Audiolab 8000A rear left.jpg

Audiolab 8000A right front.jpg

Audiolab 8000A underside.jpg

Audiolab 8000A repairs.jpg

Edited by VinylChef
Removed prefix (don't understand what this is for)

These Audiolabs are EXCELLENT performers. I had both an 8000A and a Tag McLaren 60irv (pretty much the same amp). Gosh now these are musical! For anyone wanting a super capable integrated that punches substantially higher than its weight - this is the amp. Best of luck with the sale!

• Like 2

The Factory Audio does great job. I had my Glenn OTL amp serviced there and had all the sockets replaced as well some caps and resistors. 

This amp is in such good condition and looks lovely. GLWTS.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Nickynick said:

Fantastic value for money here... great amp... love mine...phono stage is decent too!

Curious to know if the service made it sound any different?

glwts

Hi Nickynick,

Once the work had been done, I had a renewed love for the sound this amp produced, but I don't know whether this is down to the amp or my rejuvenated excitement for my system and listening to it, in general. Perhaps both. Either way, I felt it was good value for money!

And to be honest, as William configured the amp so that it would be less affected by heat in the future, and more likely to last for many more decades, I was happy to have paid the money for peace of mind!

David

7 minutes ago, Googaliser said:

GLWS - I have very fond memories of the 8000 range - looks like a bargain

Hey Googaliser,

I thought this would go easily, but it seems there is not even a nibble at this price!

David