Why so many Chord Mojo's for sale?

Well it used to be NAD 51 dacs and also LS50 KEF's and oddly enough SF Guarneri's and  also M2 Lenahan's or any of that range for that matter. All great things apparently but also always up for sale.

What ever captivates the herd mind here at SNA or whatever is really pushed and pushed by a manufacturer and good deals offered but really it's what grabs the collective mind here. 

We're all whores for the next big thing and want to jump in on it and once tasted...we want to try something else.

Chord MoJo's are flavour, SBT's were flavour, Nodes reached a flavour peak and they're still hovering up there in 'instant sale ' land. Sonos was even up there at one stage.

So the bandwagons are many and prior history here says the allure is irresistible.

I've succumbed a few times and had both sellers regret and buyers regret.

I internally rationalise it as...'It's a journey remember! And try not to baa or bleat as I go along.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Luc said:

Well it used to be NAD 51 dacs and also LS50 KEF's and oddly enough SF Guarneri's and  also M2 Lenahan's or any of that range for that matter. All great things apparently but also always up for sale.

What ever captivates the herd mind here at SNA or whatever is really pushed and pushed by a manufacturer and good deals offered but really it's what grabs the collective mind here. 

We're all whores for the next big thing and want to jump in on it and once tasted...we want to try something else.

Chord MoJo's are flavour, SBT's were flavour, Nodes reached a flavour peak and they're still hovering up there in 'instant sale ' land. Sonos was even up there at one stage.

So the bandwagons are many and prior history here says the allure is irresistible.

I've succumbed a few times and had both sellers regret and buyers regret.

I internally rationalise it as...'It's a journey remember! And try not to baa or bleat as I go along.

Yeah I've noticed the same with the KEF LS50'S. Thanks for the detailed response. 

1 minute ago, tim_tam87 said:

Yeah I've noticed the same with the KEF LS50'S. Thanks for the detailed response. 

The obvious response is: If they are so good then why are they always up for sale?

That applies to everything I've mentioned. I've missed a few other 'hot' items but these things just seem to grab hold of peoples minds and all of a sudden everyone wants one. Then after a while they flog it.

Nice to be in on something before it becomes flavour of the month. ?

*PM me about an 8 Track player sitting in the cupboard? and a quadraphonic  tape...)

10 hours ago, Luc said:

The obvious response is: If they are so good then why are they always up for sale?

That applies to everything I've mentioned. I've missed a few other 'hot' items but these things just seem to grab hold of peoples minds and all of a sudden everyone wants one. Then after a while they flog it.

Nice to be in on something before it becomes flavour of the month. ?

*PM me about an 8 Track player sitting in the cupboard? and a quadraphonic  tape...)

Primaluna comes to mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Popularity also means there’s more of them out and about.  This can skew perception.

Very good point.

2 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Also, part of the hype is that people are more likely to buy something they want, but don’t especially need.  Thus, have a play, sounds great, love the bla and the bla, but....,,,,hmmmm........I never use it.

Thats about right.Nice new product.I demo one with a Iphone SE and didnt hear enough difference to buy one let alone carrying it with my phone use....

On 07/01/2021 at 11:37 PM, PicoWattson said:

Dead battery won't affect performance if it's not used OTG but tethered to your desktop as mine is.

That's how I was using mine with the desktop until I moved to mainly vinyl. 

I thought about going back to Desktop FLAC files and possibly upgrading the DAC just not sure to what (outside of the Chord brand).

Since we discussing dac’s what about another flavor of the month,  Denafrips Ares Dac, quiet a few got traded recently. Another hype, that people are itching to try and then move on

Neo

Edited by Neo

Guest rmpfyf
On 06/01/2021 at 8:32 PM, tim_tam87 said:

As the title suggests. Why does there always seem to be a Chord Mojo for sale in the classifieds?

Regards,

Adam

(Contentious but honest post) 

Because they're somewhat overrated. 

(Runs back to hide under table)

I recently sold a Mojo/Poly combo here. For me, the issue was less the Mojo (sounds great!) and more the Poly.

On my network, I found the Poly too flaky to serve as a reliable Roon endpoint and DLNA streamer. That severely reduced the usefulness of the Mojo for me--it left me with a standalone DAC/Amp that I would have to pair with a source when what I really wanted was an all-in-one DAP replacement.   

Edited by Bill_F

48 minutes ago, Bill_F said:

I recently sold a Mojo/Poly combo here. For me, the issue was less the Mojo (sounds great!) and more the Poly.

On my network, I found the Poly too flaky to serve as a reliable Roon endpoint and DLNA streamer. That severely reduced the usefulness of the Mojo for me--it left me with a standalone DAC/Amp that I would have to pair with a source when what I really wanted was an all-in-one DAP replacement.   

I had mine between the desktop and the pre-amp...I reckon it was pretty good.

On 09/01/2021 at 5:34 PM, Neo said:

Since we discussing dac’s what about another flavor of the month,  Denafrips Ares Dac, quiet a few got traded recently. Another hype, that people are itching to try and then move on

Neo

So maybe I should try one of those Denafrips Ares dacs. ??

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tim_tam87 said:

I had mine between the desktop and the pre-amp...I reckon it was pretty good.

So maybe I should try one of those Denafrips Ares dacs. ??

Why not, like all flavors of the month it will wind up here again.

Neo