New member introduction having trouble with Home Audio surround setup...

Hi!

Tony here, new member having trouble setting up a new home audio system.

Wondering if you could help me please?...

I connected a toslink optical digital cable from the new TV (LG 50UN7300PTC) to a 2nd hand amp (Kenwood KRF-V6070D) I bought.

There's no sound.

I even tried the regular rca cables from audio out (TV) to the AUX IN of the amp but still no sound. (Have tested the amp otherwise and know the amp works).

Is there an incongruence with the technologies because of the age of the AMP?. I saw an amp for sale (RXV485) which my readings indicate are a decent amp.

I've stuck 4 x 80watt (8ohm) ceiling speakers in the roof (and have a center speaker as well;   5:1 I think you'd call it). I really want to get some good sound up and running

Would really appreciate any feedback you've got about my issue anyone kindly please?

LG rear.jpg

kenwood rear.jpg

Hi, have you ever had this TV working with an external amplifier? 

Regarding your photo, the RCA connections appear to be inputs as labelled "AV IN" rather than outputs. 

Might be as simple as a setting on the Kenwood, the instruction manual is available online.

I'd check the output format of the digital audio from the TV.  That's an old receiver and can probably only handle the original dolby digital (AC3).  If the TV is outputting something like Dolby ditigal plus the Kenwood may not be able to handle it despite the fact it should be backward compatible.

• Like 1

Start at the beginning: your source for the audio is the TV. Check the TV's menus and make sure the audio is being output via the optical out connection. Know what kind of audio it's outputting - bitstream is probably best, as it will leave the signal decoding for the kenwood amp to handle. Then check the settings on the amp to make sure it's doing what you expect it to do with the signal. The display might give you an idea of what's going on inside the amp. Also, what speaker connections did you connect the 4 x ceiling speakers to on the back of the amp? In the pic there is only a centre speaker connected. If the amp is receiving stereo from the TV, it might be trying to send those channels to left and right speakers - so if none are connected you won't hear anything. Broadcast TV, netflix etc will give you different formats at different times - analogue stereo, dolby stereo, dolby 5.1, etc etc - so you need to get your head around what the amp will do when it receives these different formats and adjust the settings accordingly. Takes Whites' advice and find the manual online.

Also, 4 x ceiling speakers and 1 x centre speaker isn't really 5.1. 5.1 is left, right, centre, left surround, right surround (that's the 5) and a subwoofer (that's the .1). Ceiling speakers form part of a dolby atmos system and are usually in addition to the 5.1. You need a dolby atmos capable receiver for dolby atmos. That's not to say that you can't connect your ceiling speakers to the front left/right and surround left/right connections on the amp, it's just not a typical setup.

On 07/01/2021 at 10:10 AM, Satanica said:

Hi, have you ever had this TV working with an external amplifier? 

Regarding your photo, the RCA connections appear to be inputs as labelled "AV IN" rather than outputs. 

Thanks for your help Satanica.

It is a new TV so I have never had it hooked up to another amplifier previously. 

You are 100% right in that those RCA are for AV in not 'out'. I see that clearly now .

On 07/01/2021 at 11:17 AM, Whites said:

Might be as simple as a setting on the Kenwood, the instruction manual is available online.

I pulled the manual as suggested.

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B60-5330-00.pdf

The only part I can find which might explain nil audio is this part here in the attachment where it indicates I might need a decoder (?).

kenwwod manual2.jpg

On 07/01/2021 at 11:39 AM, Lil Caesar said:

I'd check the output format of the digital audio from the TV.  That's an old receiver and can probably only handle the original dolby digital (AC3).  If the TV is outputting something like Dolby ditigal plus the Kenwood may not be able to handle it despite the fact it should be backward compatible.

I can't find what type of format the audio output is. It only gives me an option for selecting the 'optical digital out' which is what I understand the toslink cord to be.

Knowing my history with tech I'm guessing the two are incompatible and mostly like you say, secondary to it's age.

On 09/01/2021 at 2:16 PM, ohboyanotheruniquename said:

Start at the beginning: your source for the audio is the TV. Check the TV's menus and make sure the audio is being output via the optical out connection. Know what kind of audio it's outputting - bitstream is probably best, as it will leave the signal decoding for the kenwood amp to handle. Then check the settings on the amp to make sure it's doing what you expect it to do with the signal. The display might give you an idea of what's going on inside the amp. Also, what speaker connections did you connect the 4 x ceiling speakers to on the back of the amp? In the pic there is only a centre speaker connected. If the amp is receiving stereo from the TV, it might be trying to send those channels to left and right speakers - so if none are connected you won't hear anything. Broadcast TV, netflix etc will give you different formats at different times - analogue stereo, dolby stereo, dolby 5.1, etc etc - so you need to get your head around what the amp will do when it receives these different formats and adjust the settings accordingly. Takes Whites' advice and find the manual online.

Also, 4 x ceiling speakers and 1 x centre speaker isn't really 5.1. 5.1 is left, right, centre, left surround, right surround (that's the 5) and a subwoofer (that's the .1). Ceiling speakers form part of a dolby atmos system and are usually in addition to the 5.1. You need a dolby atmos capable receiver for dolby atmos. That's not to say that you can't connect your ceiling speakers to the front left/right and surround left/right connections on the amp, it's just not a typical setup.

A really concise contribution so thank you very much.

I'm 100% thatI have the right sound out option selected on the TV's settings. I have all the speakers plugged in (contrary to the photo thx for pointing that out). I've tried absolutely every option available on the receiver for sound input (including via 'CD' as that's what it says beside the toslink input) on the receiver and still no love.

Thanks for explaining my setup isn't 5:1. It's not typical but it's what my space permits. If it's satisfactory I'll stick with it and if its insufficient I'll expand on it.

Everyone's been so helpful thanks a heap!

At this point still thinking a new amp is the go.

You could try plugging in an FM antenna, select fm radio on the receiver, and see if you can hear the radio through your speakers...any old rabbit ears antennae or even the cheap loop antennae that used to ship with older receivers will do. If you can’t get the radio to play through your speakers then you know you have a receiver problem. Alternatively plug in any source that has rca outputs and see if you can hear them. Worth a try before spending money on a new AVR.

Thanks for your entry Ian. 

So I entertained that as an alternative diagnosis and hooked up our PVR (? aka set top box) from our living room and the sound came through happily so I know that the amp functions. 

Really appreciate the contribution Ian and many thanks. 

• Like 1

Happy to help. I had a quick look at the user guide for your tv. Suggest check in tv settings that in sound setting the sound out is set to optical/hdmi ARC. You won’t be using ARC, but the same setting enables the optical output. The lg manual states it does out put Dolby digital but as another poster has said backward compatibility doesn’t always work as claimed, and your receiver is a 2003 model while your tv is 2019...might be worth checking SNA classifieds for a newer alternative. Good luck.

5 hours ago, IanRM said:

Happy to help. I had a quick look at the user guide for your tv. Suggest check in tv settings that in sound setting the sound out is set to optical/hdmi ARC. You won’t be using ARC, but the same setting enables the optical output. The lg manual states it does out put Dolby digital but as another poster has said backward compatibility doesn’t always work as claimed, and your receiver is a 2003 model while your tv is 2019...might be worth checking SNA classifieds for a newer alternative. Good luck.

Bewdy Ian. The sound setting you have mentioned on the TV is the setting I have been utilising to attempt to obtain sound. 

41 minutes ago, Tony46 said:

Bewdy Ian. The sound setting you have mentioned on the TV is the setting I have been utilising to attempt to obtain sound. 

So for the following you have Optical selected?

image.thumb.png.ac3904c84ea2ff3d17f8d17b18d98ce1.png

And if you have not already tried for the following setting select  PCM , at least to start with.

image.thumb.png.8dfe5c2c9feef84de185e9158a8868f3.png

Edited by Satanica