Queensland Audio Club Please Explain

Can someone at the Queensland Audio Club please explain to me why you would knock back membership to a young music lover.

I have had contact with a young guy who is really into his music and has an obvious good ear. While auditioning some of my speakers he could articulate the differences he was hearing and why he liked certain traits over others. He has a wide range of musical tastes and is certainly not categorised with what most people expect from a 20 odd year old.

During a recent conversation with this young man I was shocked to learn that someone at the QAC has decided to decline membership to this him. I feel like this is not just a great disservice to the young man but also to the club itself. After all young music lovers are the future of these clubs.

And why was he not allowed membership? The reason given was "due to being young and not owning any audio gear yet". Do you not think that maybe he wanted to join so he could learn about what choices to make? He is currently looking into purchasing a very purist system that will come in at $3,500.

To say that I am pi$$ed off with this attitude from QAC is an understatement. So I will end with the same question I began with.

Why, oh why would you knock back membership to someone who could be an asset to the future of your club?

I'm not sure I'd want to be a member of the QAC anyway on that description and your young friend should just tell them to go jam their membership where the sun don't shine..........doesn't sound like he'll be missing too much anyway if he doesn't join that bunch of stuck up old farts anyway. He's better off joining SNA, he'll get a real welcome here, find a great knowledge base and be part of a community that will embrace his 'purist $3,500 system'!

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Audio Addiction,

I already tried once, but do you want to have a ***** about this QAC, or are you seriously concerned about the young bloke's audio journey? If you're worried about the young bloke, tell the QAC to go and get stuffed! If all you want to do is ***** about the QAC, then continue on here I guess.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Audio Addiction,

I already tried once, but do you want to have a ***** about this QAC, or are you seriously concerned about the young bloke's audio journey? If you're worried about the young bloke, tell the QAC to go and get stuffed! If all you want to do is ***** about the QAC, then continue on here I guess.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith. I have no intention of bitching about QAC. I just wanted to express my disappointment with them. I feel like I have become pretty good friends with the young guy in question and I am pretty happy to help him out in anyway possible. He's lined up to borrow a pair of speakers and amp from me so that he has the time and comfort to listen at home. We have already discussed a fair bit about the music we like and we have similar tastes.

The young guy is already a member of SNA so I'm pretty sure he will be very well taken care of here.

Hi Keith. I have no intention of bitching about QAC. I just wanted to express my disappointment with them. I feel like I have become pretty good friends with the young guy in question and I am pretty happy to help him out in anyway possible. He's lined up to borrow a pair of speakers and amp from me so that he has the time and comfort to listen at home. We have already discussed a fair bit about the music we like and we have similar tastes.

The young guy is already a member of SNA so I'm pretty sure he will be very well taken care of here.

Good on ya Tony. I'm also very disappointed in the attitude of QAC.

And all that is fair enough too AudioAddiction, I wish the young bloke all the best and I hope you can help him as much as possible. Just get him to give those whackers from the QAC the flick, is all.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

If I were to go out on a limb and have a guess..............would the young chap in question be 'Teej' ?

Well, I'm the secretary of the Queensland Audio Club and I'm the guy who adds people to our mailing list, which is what membership is.

I haven't knocked anyone back. I add everyone who asks to join to our list. We don't have any guidelines that prospective members have to meet and we've certainly got some members in their 20's so age isn't an issue, and we aren't particular about what gear they have either.

So either your young guy is talking about a different group to the Queensland Audio Group that I'm associated with, or he was talking to someone other than me who gave him the wrong response. Get him to contact me via a private message here and I'll quite happily add him to our list.

David Aiken,

Secretary, Qld Audio Club

David Aiken

Secretary, Qld Audio Club

HI AA,

hows the turntable running now? Have you had a look at the turntable thread at the QAC (groups) forum in StereoNet.

For what it's worth, as a bit of a newbie, I too at first found QAC at bit daunting. There are those heavily into music servers, others in analog (like me), some into valves and others into home theater. But after attending a few get togethers I found where I "fit in".

I have never heard of them knocking anybody back for membership.

cheers,

Andrew

HI AA,

hows the turntable running now? Have you had a look at the turntable thread at the QAC (groups) forum in StereoNet.

For what it's worth, as a bit of a newbie, I too at first found QAC at bit daunting. There are those heavily into music servers, others in analog (like me), some into valves and others into home theater. But after attending a few get togethers I found where I "fit in".

I have never heard of them knocking anybody back for membership.

cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

TT is going really well now. Ended up getting a Best Tractor (http://www.mintlp.com/best.htm) to get the alignment dead on and a recable and new preamp has certainly done the trick. I'm still much more comfortable with my digital set up, especially because I work with it so much more but analog is certainly becoming more attractive to me.

I was surprised that this guy was knocked back too. Maybe it was just someone at QAC having a bad day. I have been to a couple of meetings and kept myself quiet. As a member of trade I don't really want to step on anyone's toes at the club. I hope the young guy mentioned gives it a second chance. But it will be up to him to decide.

I encountered this when I tried to look up the Best tractor.

Safe BrowsingDiagnostic page for www.mintlp.com

What is the current listing status for www.mintlp.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 1 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-07-13, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-07-13.Malicious software includes 1 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 16 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days,
did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

I encountered this when I tried to look up the Best tractor.

Safe BrowsingDiagnostic page for www.mintlp.com

What is the current listing status for www.mintlp.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 1 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-07-13, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-07-13.Malicious software includes 1 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 16 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days,
did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

That's strange. I only went to it this morning without any issues. I might send them an email and let them know.

• 5 months later...
Can someone at the Queensland Audio Club please explain to me why you would knock back membership to a young music lover.

I have had contact with a young guy who is really into his music and has an obvious good ear. While auditioning some of my speakers he could articulate the differences he was hearing and why he liked certain traits over others. He has a wide range of musical tastes and is certainly not categorised with what most people expect from a 20 odd year old.

During a recent conversation with this young man I was shocked to learn that someone at the QAC has decided to decline membership to this him. I feel like this is not just a great disservice to the young man but also to the club itself. After all young music lovers are the future of these clubs.

And why was he not allowed membership? The reason given was "due to being young and not owning any audio gear yet". Do you not think that maybe he wanted to join so he could learn about what choices to make? He is currently looking into purchasing a very purist system that will come in at $3,500.

To say that I am pi$$ed off with this attitude from QAC is an understatement. So I will end with the same question I began with.

Why, oh why would you knock back membership to someone who could be an asset to the future of your club?

Dear AudioAddiction

My name is Campbell and I've been with QAC for many years. I administer all sign-up forms and the website for QAC.so everything goes through me. The reasons that have been highlighted here are to me quite astounding as every applicant is welcome regardless of age or weather you own a hifi system or not. The club is always encouraging new members and for them to be involved. There has been some mistake here. just does not make sense!!

What may have happened is that the young man has gone into a HiFi shop in Brisbane ( known to locals to offer 100% rudeness and arrogance ) and the shop owner has replied to this young guy who had asked about joining QAC,and hence the response listed was issued by the shop owner. This would make sense to me ( and from experience ).

This behavior has certainly not come from any person nor the committee of QAC.http://www.qldaudioclub.org.au.

I encourage this young man to join and please PVT message me if I can be of further help.

Furthermore this is Queensland with a small knit audio community, we don't need the input from others that are not involved thank you.

Campbell

Queensland Audio Club

Edited by quiet-shadow

Keith

Just worry about whats happening in Vic ok and stick your head in mate ok!

This thread is old and I saw it was flagged that I was subscribed, so I took a look. Geez, I think I'll have to revise that comment I made earlier in this thread, it hardly seems like a strong enough description now! Anyhow, good luck with your projects there Campbell anyway and no, I won't be taking your advice okay!...........in this hobby of ours and on this forum, since when does worrying about the treatment of another individual stop at the border?

BTW, where is it you want me to stick my head anyway?

Cheers,

Keith

Well, it looks like that came to a happy ending.

(Keith,.........dead bear's bum always made me laugh as a kid)

It did didn't it...........oh, I thought of a few myself to use don't worry, but I find myself somewhat chasten at the moment!

Cheers,

Keith