FS: TAD Reference One (R1) MKII - Rare Piano Black Finish

Item Condition: Mint, boxed/crated as new
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Cottesloe
State: WA
Payment Method: PayPal, Cash on Pickup, Transfer
Reason for selling: Reconfiguring set-up

Very rare - factory piano black finish pair of these iconic speakers.

The finest speakers I have ever heard, let alone owned. Replacement value (RRP) in the order of A$250K.

Mint condition - as new - include special shipping crates - have had very light use only.

Come with extra grills, spikes etc.

Available for demo in Perth, WA to potential buyers.

Happy to consider shipping - will work with the buyer on the most secure method.

Reason for selling: I am completely reconfiguring my set-up (see forthcoming adverts for some other amazing gear) - a dedicated recording studio needs to be funded.

Thank you for looking - happy to field any questions from potential buyers. 

Photos (more to follow - these were taken in a hurry)

_67A1282-Edit.thumb.jpg.d20699b14cefb2eae8413ae299062bd2.jpg_67A1284-Edit.thumb.jpg.66675f3f7c4b3123fd8d2d715495f882.jpg

Edited by Googaliser
Added Photos
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Googaliser changed the title to FS: TAD Reference One (R1) MKII - Rare Piano Black Finish

I was wondering where these were living. Just sad that i don't have an appropriate space to fit these beasts. The real deal end game.

Maybe i'll be lucky enough to buy them off the next purchaser somewhere down the line :)

GLWTS

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, NoPork said:

Might need to bump these to the group buy section 

You obviously have no idea how difficult it is to maneuver 150kg of speaker 300mm let alone between houses.

i like the way you think though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very nice speakers! What pre and amp are you using to drive them?

49 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

You obviously have no idea how difficult it is to maneuver 150kg of speaker 300mm let alone between houses.

i like the way you think though.

Herbies Gliders enable me to move my 195kg per speaker around easy.     Joe, you should get some to move yours around the room.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Herbies Gliders enable me to move my 195kg per speaker around easy.     Joe, you should get some to move yours around the room.

Will check these out. The R1s are beasts though - even toeing-in is hernia inducing!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NoPork said:

Might need to bump these to the group buy section 

28 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Group buy and share ownership like a luxury yacht boat?

If you’re in Melbourne and want to drop me $10,000 you can listen to mine as often and when ever you like. Beware we will also be sharing the power bill. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDX said:

Very nice speakers! What pre and amp are you using to drive them?

I have a T+A stack with the 3000HV Pre, Power and Power Supply and they sound incredible to my ears. These are far less fussy than their smaller siblings. Acoustic Sciences (esp. IsoThermal TubeTraps) room treatment made the biggest difference though. I was able to nail the imaging, bass and reflections in a room that really should be too small for these speakers. Good room treatment trumps exotic accessories every day of the week with speakers like these - but its not cheap and you need to need to become conversant with REW (roomEQ) to get the best results (or hire a professional which is less fun). At least that's been my experience.

• Like 5

Thank you for all the kind comments on these - research done in this forum was key to choosing them, My only regret is likely to be selling them.

• Like 1

WOW, incredible. Like many others I was wondering where they got to. My CR-1's manage to pressurize my large open plan lounge. I can't imagine what these would do. #EndGame

• Moderators

Far out... I am tempted as have been looking for something for the living room and those are just stunning in the piano black finish. 

• Like 6

I was going to upgrade my car this year. Seeing these here, there may just be a change of plan. Seeking for someone locally to take away my S5, and keeping the bomb Forester 2017 for the time being. 😛

Perhaps an audition to firm up? 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Chanh said:

I was going to upgrade my car this year. Seeing these here, there may just be a change of plan. Seeking for someone locally to take away my S5, and keeping the bomb Forester 2017 for the time being. 😛

Perhaps an audition to firm up? 

Absolutely - PM me to arrange 

2 hours ago, alistairm said:

Far out... I am tempted as have been looking for something for the living room and those are just stunning in the piano black finish. 

The finish did it for me also - and its a very deep lacquer that is almost mirror like helping them to blend in to the room. My wife loves these speakers aesthetically but yours may vary !

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, N@qOyQ@tSi said:

Wow nearly as good as my ds-5000s 

Very nice speakers, mate - just looked them up - enjoy!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Googaliser said:

Very nice speakers, mate - just looked them up - enjoy!

It’s like comparing a Ford falcon SR to an FPV GT-F.

Dont waste your time or breath.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

It’s like comparing a Ford falcon SR to an FPV GT-F.

Dont waste your time or breath.

I use Yamaha NS-10's to mix on (cost A$500) and love them. Choice of a 15 year old 3 Series or a new V12 Lambo for the school run - 3 series wins every day. My daily driver iem's - AirPods. Horses for courses... I do really love Japanese speakers though. My first were Sony APM121-ES - I still have them and they are the first to get set-up in a new house. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Do you know the build date (year) of the speakers?

Hi - I don't know the build date - but would estimate around 2016. Will check the cartons and docs and revert.

2 hours ago, Googaliser said:

I use Yamaha NS-10's to mix on (cost A$500) and love them. Choice of a 15 year old 3 Series or a new V12 Lambo for the school run - 3 series wins every day. My daily driver iem's - AirPods. Horses for courses... I do really love Japanese speakers though. My first were Sony APM121-ES - I still have them and they are the first to get set-up in a new house. 

And I still have my original. Yamaha NS-1000 speakers, I don’t however dare to compare them to the TAD’s.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

WOW, incredible. Like many others I was wondering where they got to. My CR-1's manage to pressurize my large open plan lounge. I can't imagine what these would do. #EndGame

Come on mate, you know you want them... you've already got the perfect matching rears in the CR-1's :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Come on mate, you know you want them... you've already got the perfect matching rears in the CR-1's :)

Hmmm, I thought I had the perfect rears...........

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

Hmmm, I thought I had the perfect rears...........

None of yours... mine is more perfect.... 

🤫🤭🤪73E82BA7-D9D7-42F8-A389-F7F4EA5CA872.thumb.jpeg.962103f78cf6977f6ff9c98c650d6ab1.jpeg

All in seriousness.... I love to have an audition in order to pmake a decision. Having own Magico speakers... I much preferred the M6s. However the owner was asking for Approx US$100k.... My final offer was AU$100k, which was politely declined.

I hope these will articulate and resolute near to or close to the Magico for the spectrum within subsonic bass notes.... without first hand audition...., makes it hard to decide....!? 

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Chanh said:

All in seriousness.... I love to have an audition in order to pmake a decision. Having own Magico speakers... I much preferred the M6s. However the owner was asking for Approx US$100k.... My final offer was AU$100k, which was politely declined.

I hope these will articulate and resolute near to or close to the Magico for the spectrum within subsonic bass notes.... without first hand audition...., makes it hard to decide....!? 

I have heard the S5’s and the the TAD’s.  Both are amazing and would be end game for most.  If I were lucky enough to have only one of them I would go the TAD.  M6 v the TAD much more difficult - except in this case the TADs have been depreciated so easy decision.  IF I had the cash these would be gone.

• Love 1

Extract from an Email from Acoustic Sciences, US, after looking at the first REW Plot with the TAD R1s:

"REW seems to be verifying the excellence of your speakers and electronics because it's good at separating the direct signal from the room reflections, and I'm seeing super low total distortion across the entire frequency band. Even as low as 16 hz it's only a few percent!"

On 7/1/2021 at 12:58 AM, Chanh said:

None of yours... mine is more perfect.... 

🤫🤭🤪73E82BA7-D9D7-42F8-A389-F7F4EA5CA872.thumb.jpeg.962103f78cf6977f6ff9c98c650d6ab1.jpeg

i have heard the r1's driven by antileon signature stereo.

the sound was utterly beautiful.

warm sound yet you could hear deep into the soundstage.

high resolution, but never clinical.

• Like 1

I drive my R1s with a 200w Absolare integrated and have to say Ive not heard a better system..

• Like 1
14 hours ago, analog brother said:

I drove mine with the Gryphon also but my Krell KAS monoblocks blew it away in all aspects.

5D1B56AD-8CEA-4F29-ABFD-B7A3594A5E75.jpeg

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Yamaha_man said:

I drove mine with the Gryphon also but my Krell KAS monoblocks blew it away in all respects.

What Gryphon? Stereo or monos? 

I upgraded stereo unit to mono and it was simply chalk vs cheese.... 

I like Absolare gears too... However, not going back to valves any longer... Done the journey adequately to sustain a hassle free setup. I love my gears to be dead quiet..., at whatever volume set by the preamps.... Accuphase til date the only one does it in my limited 15 years audio journey. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Steam said:

I have heard the S5’s and the the TAD’s.  Both are amazing and would be end game for most.  If I were lucky enough to have only one of them I would go the TAD.  M6 v the TAD much more difficult - except in this case the TADs have been depreciated so easy decision.  IF I had the cash these would be gone.

8 hours ago, analog brother said:

Thanks Gents. I have no doubt these are outstanding and very analogue sounding. Having my eye on them for a while actually.... Certainly be interesting opportunity this Sunday, if both the Host and myself can eventuate an audition. 

• Like 4