Cost Of Vinyl

I could be wrong but weren't CDs like $30 in the 80's and 90's when places like Brashes were around? That's why I never could afford to buy any. 

Also, re vinyl, aren't they also running out of it? And also there's not many plants to press it around the world? So prices are probably about right. Seems like it's a lot of trouble to go to in comparison to 5c worth of plastic that CDs are made of.

To be honest though, it not a mass consumption product anymore. If you're not happy with the prices, just give up on vinyl and pay $10 a month for a streaming service. That's what I did.

Edited by deviltoob

On 05/01/2021 at 11:38 AM, Warren Jones said:

IMO cost is not the biggest issue, I don't mind spending $60-100 on a good LP. My issue with new LP's (which I don't buy anymore) is quality, both sound and production.  You would think with CNC they could at least get the hole in the centre, not to mention warps in new LP's.

Then there's the digital mastering that can be hit or miss.

I still have my complete collection apart from about 100 that went missing in a move, that I started in the mid 70's

100%. 

I used to spend a good lot of money on vinyl but the amount of pressing **** ups became too much for me. 

33 minutes ago, deviltoob said:

Also, re vinyl, aren't they also running out of it? 

Nope. From Wikipedia:

Polyvinyl chloride is the world's third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer. About 40 million tons of PVC are produced each year.

Just now, Steffen said:

Nope. From Wikipedia:

Hmm, I thought I heard years ago that there was no new vinyl being produced and the quality of the new vinyl at the time being so crap was because it was all recycled. Must have been bullcrap.

Count yourself lucky you still have your old ones.

Mine all got burnt in the fires and I'm not wasting the pension on CD s badly pressed to vinyl that don't even sound good because the digital files are all 'remastered'. Which means shopping in the 'vintage' (read Used) market which is still stupidly priced and badly graded.

I've found the second hand market is what has increased the most.

I started collecting in 2000 and found there were plenty of second hand albums going for $5-$15 that weren't available on cd at all. 

That was a big pull at the time - discovering "new" albums but not paying $25-$30 for the album on cd.

Those albums are now almost all available on streaming services but are priced at $30+ on the second hand market.

New pressings / releases were around $35-$40 back in 2000 so I would say their relative increase has been more modest. 

• Like 1

I find a lot of the cost seems to be associated with logistics and shipping.  Buying vinyl from overseas usually attracts 20-30 AUD shipping (or more).  I usually buy from JB when they do their 20% off vinyl sale, but I missed the boat last year on that one.

I've run into a bigger issue with vinyl than financial, and that is that I've run out of room to store it all.  So I've put the brakes on my vinyl purchasing to at least slow to a few titles a year until I have a bigger place to store it all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eman said:

Count yourself lucky you still have your old ones.

Mine all got burnt in the fires and I'm not wasting the pension on CD s badly pressed to vinyl that don't even sound good because the digital files are all 'remastered'. Which means shopping in the 'vintage' (read Used) market which is still stupidly priced and badly graded.

Sorry to hear @eman  about your records.  Good quality vintage pressings are nearly unobtainable as they go for crazy prices as a collectors item.   These days i rarely have enough coin to get hold off good pressings, so my journey with vinyl is on hold for the moment.  So what ever records that i have in my current collection (just over a 100) is stored well.  

5 hours ago, deviltoob said:

100%. 

I used to spend a good lot of money on vinyl but the amount of pressing **** ups became too much for me. 

Agreed, i had to send back 2 of the same album years ago.. first one was way to warped,..and the second was quite noisy on certain parts of the track.  The owner of the store was not a happy camper..said i damaged the second record etc..  

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 8:41 PM, metal beat said:

I still get as much joy now as I did 40 years ago as a 15 year old buying new release albums on vinyl. 

Same, currently I am buying all my new pressings on line, mostly pre-order. Love it when they arrive.

On 09/01/2021 at 8:41 PM, metal beat said:

vinyl is cheap if you buy within your means and Refuse to feed the vermin, called Flippers all is good. 

I despise flippers. Vermin is too good a word for them. IMO of course. ;)

• Haha 1

@Gee Emm  so harsh Graham!

Poor ole flippers gotta make a buck, jump in cherry pick jump back out...bam up for sale here and there and everywhere.

Man's gotta live.?

I'm storing all my flippers stuff for when they become collectable again.

I've corned a fair bit of the Mrs Mills market and I've caught some of the flippers here unawares as they discarded her albums and grabbed the endless versions of DSOTM and DS and Bobness stuff. I'll be flipping them sometime in the future.

I remember in Bleak City you mentioned a longing to hear her light touch on the ivory's again. So when your sitting down and comfortable...I'll let you know the price list.

Hi @Luc

I look forward to our next catch up over a few frothies ;) later this year.

We can discuss the current marketplace of Madame Mill's back catalogue.

Can I offer a down payment;  Jap master of DSoTM, & Jap half speed master of WYWH?

Should get me half way there. Maybe more if I get a few dark lagers into you before negotiations start.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

Hi @Luc

I look forward to our next catch up over a few frothies ;) later this year.

We can discuss the current marketplace of Madame Mill's back catalogue.

Can I offer a down payment;  Jap master of DSoTM, & Jap half speed master of WYWH?

Should get me half way there. Maybe more if I get a few dark lagers into you before negotiations start.

I might let you have a look(in the flesh) of Jumbo party 1 with Mrs Mills on the strength of the WYWH, you may keep the DSoTM for people in need of it.

*Let's hope we can meet up again Graham this year in Bleak City it'd be great.  X-IPA Hazy's if we can find them is the first shout of the day after the second, I'll cast my Mrs Mills to your phone so you too can be in that 'happy place'?

I would say the percentage of crappy pressings is now where near as much as some are stating here. Comments like I don't buy new vinyl anymore due to pressing issues, is frankly exaggerated. 

I buy a lot of vinyl - new releases and some reissues, so the vast majority are not special audiophile releases and pressings.  I would have guessed around 10% or 1 in 10 I return.

I had a look at my 2020 purchases from one supplier and I bought around 130 different albums.  11 of them I had to return - some of them multiple times and yes - It does give you the schiits.   that is 8.5% return rate.     Should it be better than 10%  - yes it should, however not everything is pressed at RTI, Optimal, Pallas or Record Industry in the world .

Make sure you buy from suppliers that allow returns and you should not be out of pocket - just time.   and , don't feed the vermin Flippers.

But,

the better sound quality and overall enjoyment of spinning, for me and many others I know is worth the slight hassle on a small percentage of crappy pressings.

@Luc    is there such a thing as flippers for Mrs Mills albums? Sounds like you are just creating a market so you can sell all your copies :) :hiccup

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

there such a thing as flippers for Mrs Mills albums? Sounds like you are just creating a market so you can sell all your copies :) 

Wash your mouth out! I'd never sink that low! Honest.  But yes...I'm building an interest that frankly...no one knew was needed.

Eventually Jumbo Party 2  will be like DSOTM the secret pressing with...(well it's secret isn't it) or all of DS's output and remasters and endless special pressings. She'll be up there just you watch. I'm sitting on gold!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1