Cost Of Vinyl

As someone who grew up with vinyl , kept my collection which went into storage for a while but bought  a turntable  18mnths ago  , i can't believe the cost of new records. I was given a voucher for JB for $60 for xmas but this barely covers some titles and not others. Surely it's a rort . I know it's back in vogue but it's just a joke. I know i can look for 2nd hand but if you are after a new title it's not an option.

• Like 1

For anyone who is on a limited budget, it is a costly hobby. You are fortunate to be one of the more insightful music lovers whom has kept their records. Agreed, it is demoralising to walk into a shop and see the price tag on some of the new vinyl, however some is still reasonably priced. I had a conversation a few years ago with a friend who has been involved in the music industry for a long time now. He stated that it still cost the record companies a lot of coin to produce vinyl, even though it may seem that the presses are pumping the titles out, working multiple shifts six days a week in most cases. While record collecting is popular again, in relative terms I don't think it comes close to the lofty heights sales wise from the peak periods of yesteryear.

I'm at the stage, with only having around 450-500 records as I started from scratch about seven years ago, that my purchases are very considered, and usually expensive one-offs to plug holes in a gap of a particular artist that I'm collecting. Often these records will be over the $100 mark, especially if they are not new reissues.

I had a friend message me just before Christmas asking for help to purchase and set up a new turntable and  build a record collection of 90's indie artists he used to listen to back in the day. I hope he is prepared for the cost!

Edited by Jebediah
Grammar
  • Like 2

I have a memory of paying $25-$30 for new records in the 1980's, so although I struggle to accept the price of new records I try to see it in that perspective.  With many new CDs costing $10 now and recent releases $25-$30, this drop in real terms has shifted our perception of the cost of music.  And I see record production as being more intense in labour than CD production.

That's not to say that I embrace the high price of new records today.  I've only bought a few new records in the last 10yrs - titles that are newly released and are not available on CD.  However, I have bought lots of pre-owned records for $1-$2 each. 

Guest Mr Thorens

In 1980 new LPs were $9-$11. In 1988 new LPs were around $18-$19. 

So in real dollar terms they might have got cheaper. 

Given that there is a generation now  (thanks primarily to ripping, Youtube, Spotify and other streaming/sharing sources) that has a problem with paying for music at all - or at least buying to "own" - I think the cost of new vinyl is pretty much what you'd expect in a market driven industry. Distributors/retailers have to balance the cost of production with pricing vinyl out of the market - and vinyl sales have exceeded CD's in Australia this year  - so I guess they have got it more or less right.

In the 1980's (pre CD)  records were quite expensive to my memory but infinitely preferable to cassettes. I remember paying $25 for an import copy of George Benson's Cookbook in 1981. Still have it.

In the 1980's we never imagined (or I certainly didnt) that people would have a means to 'rent' music which is really what iTunes and Spotify do. 

Buying a record (with its cover and artwork) provides a different experience. The artifact has both visual and tactile properties as well as the audio - you can see it ,touch it and hear it. It feels like you own a piece of the music even if that is slightly illusory -  and the audio experience is still uniquely enjoyable for me (depending on the recording and state of the vinyl). I'm glad I held onto most of my collection.

• Like 5

Guest Mr Thorens

I’m glad I held onto my vinyl as well from the 70s/80s. Yes there does seem to be a culture of free music nowadays because of the internet and streaming services. Beforehand you either had to buy or know someone with a collection and a good cassette deck if you wanted a copy. 

IMO cost is not the biggest issue, I don't mind spending $60-100 on a good LP. My issue with new LP's (which I don't buy anymore) is quality, both sound and production.  You would think with CNC they could at least get the hole in the centre, not to mention warps in new LP's.

Then there's the digital mastering that can be hit or miss.

I still have my complete collection apart from about 100 that went missing in a move, that I started in the mid 70's

Edited by Warren Jones
  • Like 6

I share the frustration of current mega prices but am fortunate in never having divested myself of my original 70's 80's and 90's vinyl collection. While I've never actually seen an analysis of the production costs of a vinyl record, I suspect that the final number is the aggregate of many many many many factors. There are a tsunami of processes, infrastructures and middle-persons in this chain. Ultimately, the market pragmatically decides whether a record costs too much. What I do find especially galling however, is a phenomenon I witness regularly in the 2nd hand market. Time and again I have observed records for sale at precisely the Discogs  maximum price. This is entirely reasonable if said record exhibits Discogs M or NM condition. Sadly this honourable  dealing has become increasingly rare as much of the merchandise I see on offer leaves a lot to be desired!

• Like 2

I stopped buying vinyl, as I ran out of storage space. I then changed to CD;'s and when I ran out of storage space for that switched to Tidal instead. I do prefer physical media however it's no longer an option

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

What I do find especially galling however, is a phenomenon I witness regularly in the 2nd hand market. Time and again I have observed records for sale at precisely the Discogs  maximum price. This is entirely reasonable if said record exhibits Discogs M or NM condition. Sadly this honourable  dealing has become increasingly rare as much of the merchandise I see on offer leaves a lot to be desired!

So true, I have bought a couple of used LP's that were listed as MINT and had to send them back. One was so warped it wouldn't fit under my linear tonearm even with the clamp. Luckily I bought off eBay and sent them back for a full refund.

Guest Old Man Rubber
6 minutes ago, Warren Jones said:

IMO cost is not the biggest issue, I don't mind spending $60-100 on a good LP. My issue with new LP's (which I don't buy anymore) is quality, both sound and production.  You would think with CNC they could at least get the hole in the centre, not to mention warps in new LP's.

Then there's the digital mastering that can be hit or miss.

Coloured vinyl seems to be the worst affected - I have pretty much given up buying new vinyl of reissues.  Having said that, I am not sure people who are the target market for that vinyl are playing it much or they are playing it on equipment that is very forgiving.  Which is fine given the small market intersection that is "people who like vinyl" + "people who own hi-fi".  I have started to regard the re-issue market in the same way antique dealers regard "repops".  I'd rather buy an obviously used original than a pristine looking modern reissue.

We have a local record shop in Warrnambool that has bargain bin, mostly about $2-4 an LP. I have bought at least 100 LP's from the bin and only 3 have been unplayable. Most are pretty good after a clean, and only a few have crackle surface noise, but for $3 I can live with that.

• Like 3

Our only dedicated record store in Toowoomba closed down early last year. Their pricing was a bit hit and miss, but I guess it was dependant on them being able to keep the doors open. I miss being able to  just pop on in and browse. 

Much preferred to shop with them when I could than JB, but in saying that, they have a pretty good record section now. Just prefer the independent music store vibe like most on this forum I imagine.

BTW, for anyone looking for MOFI,  Sound Station here in Toowoomba has an excellent range. Blair is the proprietor. I imagine he would do postage. No affiliation either, just thought I'd mention it. I've managed to score all bar one of the Dire Straits MOFI's through him. Just waiting on Communique now...?

• Like 2

I've found clear and white vinyl on average sounds excellent, and black is generally quite good..... I abhor picture discs and coloured vinyl though as many of them are quite noisy.

I got a Dido LP where half was red and the other half black..... You can actually hear when the needle goes between each side. Horrible stuff.  :(

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Pretty much less than the mid 60s and 70s, the first LP I purchased was The Kinks in early 1965 for ₤2.9.6, or $4.95, which I see online for about $60 plus delivery.

The average earnings for a week’s work in 1965-66 was $57 (around $740 in today’s dollars) less Tax.

KinksTheKinks.jpg.b97b112451e64a6fecb3debbf8855405.jpg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Pretty much less than the mid 60s and 70s, the first LP I purchased was The Kinks in early 1965 for ₤2.9.6, or $4.95, which I see online for about $60 plus delivery.

The average earnings for a week’s work in 1965-66 was $57 (around $740 in today’s dollars) less Tax.

KinksTheKinks.jpg.b97b112451e64a6fecb3debbf8855405.jpg

JJ

Sounds about right.

On 07/01/2021 at 3:00 PM, Janjuc said:

In about 1973 / 1974 my wage was $32 per week 

And records ranged in price from $9.00 to $12.00 

First world problems.   

If vinyl is too expensive for you,  go and pay $15 per month on a streaming service.

If vinyl and sound quality actually means something to you - browse carefully and buy vinyl. 

I still get as much joy now as I did 40 years ago as a 15 year old buying new release albums on vinyl. 

Compared to 40 years ago,  vinyl is cheap if you buy within your means and Refuse to feed the vermin, called Flippers all is good. 

Even today there is more great vinyl available to buy than I have hours in the day to listen. 

Just remember,  there is magic in them grooves.

If you can't hear and feel that spinning vinyl, use spotify.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 9
  • Love 3

I have my vinyl from the late 80's but CD was really big when I decided to start collecting music seriously, so ended up with more CD's overall. I have been lucky with new vinyl, not many bad pressings over the years, but have also been very picky with what I buy, only artists I truly jell with, and only if I know who made the pressing or how it was processed from the originals.

To this end the vinyl I am starting to re-stock (and will stock in the future) will be limited to known quality of recording and pressing, I used to import Cisco years ago, there may be members in here who purchased the TBM 180g pressings from me many moons ago. I sold a lot of TBM, as much as I could get in at the time, Jennifer Warnes was another of their products that is simply amazing in its production quality. Sad to see Cisco gone, but impex has redone some of her stuff, "The Hunter" being one album I have wanted on vinyl for a long time, finally got it in stock and into my collection, Jennifer is as much an audiophile as an artist, her input into the remastering comes through on the recording, its pretty amazing to listen to.

On 09/01/2021 at 9:41 PM, metal beat said:

First world problems.   

If vinyl is too expensive for you,  go and pay $15 per month on a streaming service.

If vinyl and sound quality actually means something to you - browse carefully and buy vinyl. 

I still get as much joy now as I did 40 years ago as a 15 year old buying new release albums on vinyl. 

Compared to 40 years ago,  vinyl is cheap if you buy within your means and Refuse to feed the vermin, called Flippers all is good. 

Even today there is more great vinyl available to buy than I have hours in the day to listen. 

Just remember,  there is magic in them grooves.

If you can't hear and feel that spinning vinyl, use spotify.

A no holds barred response..lol  but spot on.  Yeah its not a cheap option to get in, cost of a decent tt, arm, cart, phonostage and then to start a collection.... some would call this a money pit, but there's something magical in those grooves and also taking the time to appreciate an album.   Like metal beat said, take the time to research and buy quality vinyl, and also to have a decent setup to enjoy whats on offer.   Like everything else, its a journey to be enjoyed the way through.

• Like 1