I’ve finally pulled the trigger on upgrading my electronics and about to receive 2 x HypeX NC1200 amplifiers for my 5 main channels (stereo and a tri channel amp).

I’m now thinking about stage 2. I have two AVRs currently used to get 7.1.4:

Denon AVR-X7200WA - used as the decoder/preamp and ceiling speakers and 2 rears (Atmos/DTX decoder onboard)

Arcam AVR600 - used for main 5 speakers (LRC + sides)

The new amps were originally to replace the Arcam. Now I’m thinking about a new Surround Processor and keeping the Arcam for ceilings/rear and selling the Denon. Still tossing that up.

Question: Does anyone have an idea of what these two AVRs are worth 2nd hand? Both excellent condition.

The Arcam does not have Atmos/DTSX but it sounds great (hence it’s being used currently for my mains, better bass and mid range compared to the Denon, although my 5 mains go down to 3 ohms so they’re moderately hard to drive, I presume the Arcam can supply more current at 3 ohm, 100Hz  to 1kHz is the 3 ohm range for all 5).

THX

Edited by HomerJ

Unfortunately, AVRs are items which depreciate fastest here.  😢 

When fairly new, can get maybe  2/3 retail price and it goes down considerably, especially when it does not have latest sound codecs, HDMI etc. You will be lucky to get 1/3 for a few years old unit.  There are of course exceptions in the Classifieds, old AVR sold high, almost new AVR sold cheap.  

Suggest searching eBay, Hifi shark for price hints.

1 hour ago, HomerJ said:

Denon AVRX700WA - used as the decoder/preamp and ceiling speakers and 2 rears

Did you mean a Denon AVR-X7200WA?

You could put them on eBay to sell. That will likely be the best place to sell. Or list them here on SN once you establish the average selling price on say eBay.

I see one Denon AVR-X7200WA sold for $1237.61 on eBay. See:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Denon+AVR-X7200WA&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

One Arcam AVR-600 sold for $1240.01, while another sold for $1555.11 See:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Arcam+AVR600&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Edited by bizzibee
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, HomerJ said:

The new amps were originally to replace the Arcam. Now I’m thinking about a new Surround Processor and keeping the Arcam for ceilings/rear and selling the Denon. Still tossing that up.

Question: Does anyone have an idea of what these two AVRs are worth 2nd hand? Both excellent condition.

Its for reasons of depreciation of the arcam that I would keep it and lose the hypex replacements Homer . Its got Arcams top of the line class G power which is more efficient than class A/B . Its not well known that the pre pro portion of the Arcam line is identical and your paying for the class A/B or G 

Just add the reason people go downmarket for av pre/avrs is the constant change of tech ; its eye opening to see the requests for hdmi 2.1 when 2.0a is sufficient for most today . If considering selling the denon you have the option of ARC genesis with Anthem or Dirac [with dirac live bass control -nice ] with Arcam and others.  And the option of expanding to 16ch's .Do you have room for front wides ? Maybe the hypex can help with a 9.1.6 settup if your room is big enough .. getting carried away there 😉

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bizzibee said:

Did you mean a Denon AVR-X7200WA?

Yes. Thanks for the pick up. Now corrected.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep everything

Run Atmos from the Arcam

LCR and Surrounds from the Hypex amps

Rear surround from the Denon

Just because you can :) *

*Your current setup is possibly as good as you need - depending on room size, speaker sensitivity and listening level.

My two new HypeX NC1200 amps are now up and running. My old Arcam AVR600 is now decommissioned and will probably go to my daughter who only has a stereo system currently but wants to move to surround one day.

The HypeX have added a little more bass and midrange clarity with 5.1 music and can definitely go louder with cleaner sound at high volume. 

459D94F8-21F8-4C56-84ED-47AEFC241D98.jpeg

8D88ECDD-BA9A-4074-AD78-C795C2D876A1.jpeg

Edited by HomerJ
Added tri-channel internal photo
  • Like 1