So many appliances - power boards vs power points?

I've just counted... Between my audio gear / TV / Blu-ray / wi-fi extender and my kids gaming gear, I have 13 devices currently plugged into 3 power boards on the same wall.    I'd like to think that others might have similar.

So how do you manage this in terms of using power boards vs getting a heap of power-points installed into the wall? Has anyone here actually done the latter?

My first thought is that getting (say) 2 x 8 point power-boards would cut down the number of power-boards from 3 to 2.  This would also allow me to potentially separate my audio gear onto one board (and hopefully help to eliminate what I think is a grounding hum on my turntable - but that's already another thread)

• Like 1

I use 2-3 power boards connected to a board with surge protection. The boards/plugs etc are rated to 10A, 240V (2400VA) so you need to be sensible about what's powered on at any time. Your turntable hum will be another issue, heaps of possibilities like check GND wire connections from cartridge to tone arm, bad solder joints on amp phono RCA connections and more...

I have a power conditioner with 12 sockets and I had 2 power boards with 6 sockets each plus 2 double wall outlets of which I used 3 sockets for the conditioner etc.  Total of 25 connections.  I had a separate line back to the switch board installed earlier this year.  On the separate line are 2 quad outlets and a heavy-duty single for the conditioner.  So now the power boards have gone and I still have 25 connections.  The cost of the separate line was expensive because of the gigawatt cable used plus the complexity of the stone construction of my house.

John

image.thumb.png.f7601e22ba501d935aaf130b2a69791c.png

There's eight there at the heart of the system but there's another 6 around the room and then there's these things for your foreign plugs which are plugged into the eight in the wall so you have a bit of convenience there to move about. As you can see it's used as a ph charger and tablet charger so it's a bit of a waste but if you have UK EU US plugs then it's very convenient.

image.thumb.png.8a1f619a1c3970afabb6aa18bb087fc4.png

These points as you can tell by the discolouration are old, 28 yrs old actually but they all run on separate lines back to the switch board; expensive then and expensive now but it saved a lot grief back then before power boards and it still does as I don't need power boards in that room and the Handbrake has her stuff plugged into them.

image.thumb.png.ccb7d91d286c6dd9d9579fac64f9a4f5.png

Surge protection at the switchboard is the other blessing. Was never put in there for hifi reasons but for safety reasons due to the high level of storms we get here but it serves it's purpose well.

The answer to your question though is manifold. How bigs your wallet? How much money are you prepared to throw at this?

That's the main Q.

If you can afford to have a sparky run separate runs back to your board with circuit breakers and conditioners...then you probably didn't need to post the Q you've asked. 

If you can get all your points that you use for your hifi separated so that when the fridge turns on or the vacuum cleaner is used or the AC is switched on it doesn't affect your sound system then do it as it's a big plus.

If you can't and you only want to spend a minimum amount then go for some bigger boards as you've mentioned but I'd definitely engage a sparky so that, your hifi gear which is all plugged into one board(so when it goes boom! They all go boom!) ...are on their own circuit.

*If you have one of those boards that have a reset button on them and there's a green light showing it's working and a red when not, well what does happen with(some of) them is that a lightning strike causes a surge and the protector cuts in likes it's supposed too. But sometimes people forget to reset them so in a storm situation the next strike does the damage because that button hasn't been reset and everything is still powered up. (This is from a friend who fried some gear this way. I'm not sure how these boards work to be honest so I removed them from the equation).

• Like 1

Like you I was having to run a power board here, not able to run a separate line from the meter. Which is the ideal, my last home it was expensive as mentioned above can be difficult to run an extra line, used the thickest cable possible (think it was commercial kitchen/oven) cable.  Here all I've been able to do is (thankfully) convert the wall socket to a 4 way,  and I've been able to get 'piggy back' quality plugs and power cables made up by my friend/tech. Thankfully doing away with the need for a power board. Could be an option to reduce your power board needs?

Edited by Graywulf

This is a good thread 🙂

I have a dual outlet power point for 2 powerboards. 1) is a PS Audio Dectet (10 outlets) for my music (Hifi Amp, HT Amp, Dac, Node, Nuc, CD player, DVD/SACD player, 8 port switch, 5 port switch and 2) a Thor 8 outlet board for the TV/Foxtel/PS4

All up I have 12 devices plugged into the 2 boards. 

But i do recommend the PS Audio Dectet. 10 outlets, surge protection, and made an improvement to SQ.  I would love to do separate lines/powerpoints but that will come later at the next house.

Please let us know what you go ahead with.

Edited by rowbo
clarity....
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, rowbo said:

a Thor 8 outlet board for the TV/Foxtel/PS4

I looked at Thor  power points at one stage with their extra level of built in protection but the cost...holy moley they were expensive when you factored in a dozen of them.

• Like 2

Goodaye all

Please keep on mind 2400watts is the max for a 10amp power point.

Most power boards are max 10amp, piggy backing is ok up to 2400w but not ideal or as safe as it could be.

Seperate lines for power points is the go, l am always supprised the lack of seperate lines in a house, 4 or 5 power points on a  line.🙄

regards Bruce

• Like 2