CD Player Search

12 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

100%. I've also heard and sold all these players and the CD94 and the MK11 are in a different ball park.

Agreed.

The CD-40 along with the CD50 and CD-60 sound nice and be can very nice, but only after lots of modifications.

Not sure if they sound as good after mods when compared to a standard 94, likely not but closes the gap somewhat.

The CD94's sound very nice in standard form, and I have heard some say they preferred the single chip Mk1 over the dual chip Mk11.

Edit: some I have heard actually prefer the CD-85, another great one from the upper Marantz offerings.

Edited by muon*

4 minutes ago, muon* said:

Agreed.

The CD-40 along with the CD50 and CD-60 sound nice and can very nice, but only after lots of modifications.

Not sure if they sound as good after mods when compared to a standard 94, likely not but closes the gap somewhat.

The CD94's sound very nice in standard form, and I have heard some say they preferred the single chip Mk1 over the dual chip Mk11.

The CD94 was the first CD player I ever heard with a Black soundstage.

The 0 series Marantz players (Multibit) sounded better the the 1 Series which was bitstream. Funny enough though, The Yamaha series that was out at the same time was split into two camps.

The two cheaper players were multibit and the two dearer players were bitstream. The two dearer players sounded better.

My Favourites at that time though, were the NAD 5420 and  5425. I thought better then the first 5 series Meridian.

The Arcam Delta 270 is $150, although, I can probably get it a bit cheaper, what I would like to know, is it a better cd player compared to the other cd players that I have already, previously mentioned ? I have also come across a Cambridge Audio cd2 and a Cambridge Audio cd4se, any good ?

2 minutes ago, rockeater said:

Do you know where one is available for $100 though?

If you do, get me a dozen of them

Well Glen said he came across one, so I expect It's in his budget.

If so he be wise to jump on it :D

43 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

The Arcam Delta 270 is $150, although, I can probably get it a bit cheaper, what I would like to know, is it a better cd player compared to the other cd players that I have already, previously mentioned ? I have also come across a Cambridge Audio cd2 and a Cambridge Audio cd4se, any good ?

Arcam Delta is a good buy for $150 if it works OK.

I have no personal experience with either of the Cambridge units, but on paper CD4SE looks unremarkable and CD-2 has a potential to have it upgraded to S1 or S2 chips which people like. The CD-2 is faulty though and CDM-2 mech might require a donor machine (that is why I keep Marantz CD-65 as possible donors because CDM-2 was not as reliable one as CDM-4 was). It might be an easy fix, it might not. It is not a loader problem but a CD reading problem judging by description.

My experience is, that people with rare equipment that goes **** up, get a quote before offering it for sale if the quote was not favourable. Which is fair enough.

With the Cambridge CD2 it has 4x TDA1541...... Each board gets the respective signal shifted by 1/4 of the "tact"

So not sure if it needs selected chips, personally I'd not bother especially given how difficult it is to find real selected chips, not to mention the high prices they now demand.

I'd just leave it as is, as also the up-sampling chip is matched to the non A TDA1541's.

Some prefer the sound of these non A chips anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Been meaning to ask, what is this upsampling business ? I have noticed it on some other cd players as well, is it a case of trying to turn a 16/44 into  hi rez ?

It's over sampling, not up sampling.

In regards to the Philips TDA1541 and 1540 players.

It was done to move a high frequency noise to higher in the frequency spectrum to be less audible, but after hearing these chips in 'non over sampling' mode I think it was more a tech' solution than one that is audible.

• Like 1

Okay, upon further reading, it turns out that the Pioneer PD S801 has a much better/ upgraded PCB's, twin transformers and four voltage regulators, two for the analogue and two for the digital section.

Most player have 4 or more regulators in them, my old Marantz has 5.

Edit: the only analogue section in most players is the output section, usually using Op Amps.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Okay, so what is the correct term for what I am describing ?

Well i was not clear.

over sampling is used to improve resolution and signal to noise performance.

Earlier I gave the reason why they used it with the TDA1541, which is pretty much the same as they were using it to improve noise performance by shifting the high frequency noise to higher in the frequencies.

I'm not sure what you were trying to describe, if it was players that state 'Up Sampling" then they might be players using higher resolution DAC chips. Having the ability to 'up sample' a signal 44,1 to a higher sample rate.

I was taking it that you meant over sampling which was used with older DAC chips.

Edited by muon*

3 minutes ago, rockeater said:

There is both upsampling and oversampling

Yes there is.

Might be better to link Glen to explanations of each one.

Here is one for oversampling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

Up Sampling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upsampling

Edited by muon*

Okay, I am just trying to understand it all myself, so, are there, getting a bit off topic here, no matter, any cd players and/or amps that try to, ah, maybe this is the correct term, up convert ? a 16/44.1 to make it into a hi rez  ( 16/44.1 into a 24/96 ) signal/sound ?

1 minute ago, Digital Man said:

Okay, I am just trying to understand it all myself, so, are there, getting a bit off topic here, no matter, any cd players and/or amps that try to, ah, maybe this is the correct term, up convert ? a 16/44.1 to make it into a hi rez  ( 16/44.1 into a 24/96 ) signal/sound ?

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Yes there is.

Might be better to link Glen to explanations of each one.

Here is one for oversampling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

Up Sampling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upsampling

Yes, probably any modern one.

I'm likely not one to ask as I kicked the up sampling habit a while ago :D

I used to have a Behringer SRC and i preferred the sound with it set to not up sample, but with Dithering engaged.

Edit: i find up sampling to sound different, some like it and some like myself do not. For myself it smooths the sound but at the cost of a little bit of dynamics. Pick ya' poison.

MattyW has a DAC that uses Philips first chips the 14bit/44.1kHz TDA1540D operating in non over sampling mode, so no over sampling and definitely no up sampling. I would put it up against any modern DAC or player where being feed red book is concerned.

Edit: oops! I left out the 'k'

Edited by muon*