Seeking purchasing advice for a 3.1 system

I need your help looking for a 3.1 home theatre setup for my small lounge room. I've already bought a Sony STR-DH590 receiver because my old HTIAB crapped out and I just wanted to power my old HT805TH I've just pulled out of storage with my new TV. At least of course until I can pair my AVR with some better speakers.

Basically, anything will be an upgrade. I wouldn’t call myself a particularly decerning “audiophile”, so I’m just trying to get a decent setup with L/C/R speakers (probably bookshelf with stands) plus a sub without having to break more than $1,000 if possible. They’ll primarily be used for movies, TV and YouTube/Streaming, not so much for music or gaming.

Having spent some time searching online, I fear I’ll get into a cycle of analysis paralysis looking at the thousands of options. Any recommendations you guys can make so I can at least move on to finding some good prices and auditioning some for myself would be great.

Thank you all.

I think that for your budget, the best option might be to keep an eye on Gumtree and see what comes up in your price range.  Often see people downsizing pretty awesome Home Theatre systems for 1000 or under.  That's how I'd approach it if I were looking to do what you're doing.

Lots of people are getting rid of good gear at good prices due to spousal pressure to downsize....

This might also help with the analysis paralysis - because buying second hand limits you to what's available at the time. ?

Stick to brand name speakers and go and have a listen... 

Here's an example: 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-lakes-shore/speakers/klipsch-and-yamaha-surround-sound-speakers-and-sub/1264803726 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jorkus said:

I appreciate the reply, Dr. I've been scoping Gumtree for the last week or so, and I'll keep on it. 

Would you not recommend anything new at all in my price range?

Gumtree is best for value and sound quality per dollar but you need some faith and skill to mix match succeed. Typical common speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelf speakers and others like Wharfedale and B & W etc for around $100-300 used.

Here is a forum shortlist for new speakers as well in the price range or to keep an eye out for used

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

Thank you, AI.M, I'll look through that post.

Would you consider those 3 brands you mentioned generally reputable, providing I do my own research on any one model of speaker I set my eyes on?

1 hour ago, Jorkus said:

Would you not recommend anything new at all in my price range?

Q Acoustics do some very highly regarded and affordable stuff...  but getting a full 3.1 might be beyond your budget.

Just googled and found they are on sale at some places with free Aus-wide delivery.  

But it will be hard to get a really good quality 3.1 components for 1K if you're buying new.

Having said that - this is the perfect time of year to be looking for some new stuff - you might just hit the jackpot!  Check out all of the Aussie Hi Fi retailers online.

Are Pioneer a good brand? They're one of the only audio brands I still remember from my childhood. I think of them more like Teac than of Sony, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Jorkus