Free at Last - Telstra Goodbye - Hello Optus 5G Home Internet

After being tied to Telstra for the last 20+ years mainly due to the fact I could only get ADSL in my area,

Yesterday I was finally able to tell them to DISCONTINUE MY TELSTRA ADSL INTERNET EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.   Since they are almost impossible to contact them by phone for anything, I left them a txt in their app.  They contacted me pretty quickly with another 20 minutes of them giving me deals and reasons why I shouldn't leave, they accepted by cancellation.        Good Riddance

We were going to move to the just available NBN Broadband, however discovered that Optus 5G Home Internet is available in our area ( no idea how or why). Modem arrived yesterday - switched it on and all areas of the house work - which the Telstra Smart modem could not do. 

We signed to the cheapest 5G plan - $75 for 100Mbps plan.  cheaper than any similar speed for NBN.

As I type this in the music room, at the other end of where the modem is - the speeds are

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

Worked @ Telstra for 25 years and am also glad im finally rid of them. If only people knew how dysfunctional the place is on the inside especially during the past 10+ years where anything and everything is offshored to save a penny seemingly not caring that customer service is now sadly almost non existent! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Worked @ Telstra for 25 years and am also glad im finally rid of them. If only people knew how dysfunctional the place is on the inside especially during the past 10+ years where anything and everything is offshored to save a penny seemingly not caring that customer service is now sadly almost non existent! 

100% TB.    Trying to actually talk to someone @ Telstra and resultant terrible customer service is why I could not wait to get rid of them.

The final straw was in November the Testra lines fell down over our driveway and blocked entry and exit.  AGL arrived within 1 hour, to say that it was a Telstra issue.  He said good luck, as it may take two weeks to fix.   I said surely can't take them that long.

It took them just on 2 weeks to fix the cable with communication one way only. Just came home one day and fixed.

Absolute joke of a company 

Edited by metal beat

@metal beat Telstra are indeed terrible customer service wise, wife and I swore off them 20 years ago after few bad experiences. 

I had similar issues with Optus after we had the NBN installed, lot's of drop outs and Optus never solved them.

Signed up with Aussie Broadband and a few more drop outs they diagnosed a problem and sent a tech out who organised rewire to the node from our house.

Couldn't be happier with them, fantastic service every time I call them. :thumb:

• Like 5

Guest rmpfyf
On 31/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, metal beat said:

We were going to move to the just available NBN Broadband, however discovered that Optus 5G Home Internet is available in our area ( no idea how or why). Modem arrived yesterday - switched it on and all areas of the house work - which the Telstra Smart modem could not do. 

It's a fairly epic network and the access costs are a shade lower than Optus NBN. Please keep us posted on your experience. I'm especially keen to understand what your outage performance is like. Currently we have NBN with a cellular backup, and dropping the latter for a purely cellular network save another $10 a month (plus the modem). Our NBN is pretty quick when unloaded (110Mbps right now) but bogs pretty hard around Netflix and Chill time (HFC). That Optus gives a 50Mbps guarantee is pretty solid.

9 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Worked @ Telstra for 25 years and am also glad im finally rid of them. 

Also ex-Telstra staff... who is not a Telstra customer. Dropped it the day I left. 

Edited by rmpfyf

Good topic MB. I'm still on Telstra NBN for home. Keen to know how you go with Optus 5G in the longer 3 months term. Another thing I need to change is my mobile handset. My mobile plan has 5g but I'm still limited to 4g with iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I am not happy with NBN themselves.  A storm caused trees take the overhead cable that comes across the street, down, and they reran it  - even deeper through the middle of the trees that took it down the first time, and refused to trim the trees.  Guess what will happen next storm?  Unlike the eelctricity services, NBN have NO policy nor any facility to trim trees.  How can you run a network of overhead wiring and not have any way to deal with trees?

Yep, just waiting for an alternative like 5G to be available

I live in rural Victoria and the only sensible option is Telstra.  The alternatives are highly problematic.  People come to town and they are adamant no Telstra for them.  It doesn't take long before they change to Telstra.  I agree with the difficulty about contacting Telstra.  However, the Telstra service has been highly reliable.  One NBN fault and one Telstra Bigpond  issue in the past two years.  As well, I have the Mb number for the Local Telstra Technician.  He responds to calls very promptly with a great attitude to service delivery.  I am a very satisfied Telstra customer.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After being tied to Telstra for the last 20+ years mainly due to the fact I could only get ADSL in my area,

Yesterday I was finally able to tell them to DISCONTINUE MY TELSTRA ADSL INTERNET EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.   Since they are almost impossible to contact them by phone for anything, I left them a txt in their app.  They contacted me pretty quickly with another 20 minutes of them giving me deals and reasons why I shouldn't leave, they accepted by cancellation.        Good Riddance

Have had some experience now with 5G home. Speeds are variable and congested at night, though generally good. Ping in the 20's, speeds up to 110/30. Impressive. Some sensitivities to home config.

8 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Have had some experience now with 5G home. Speeds are variable and congested at night, though generally good. Ping in the 20's, speeds up to 110/30. Impressive. Some sensitivities to home config.

yea, between 3- 6 pm it slows down and sometimes goes to 4g only. You then have to switch off/on then modem and 5G re-appears.       still for majority of the time its excellent

Edited by metal beat

Just now, metal beat said:

yea, between 3- 6 pm it slows down and sometimes goes to 4g only. You then have to switch off/on and 5G re-appears.       still for majority of the time its excellent

This particular implementation drops to 25Mbps at worst. Telstra 5G. Will be interesting what happens when the majors start investing and scaling their backhaul... it'll be impressive. And I used to be a naysayer.

5 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

This particular implementation drops to 25Mbps at worst. Telstra 5G. Will be interesting what happens when the majors start investing and scaling their backhaul... it'll be impressive. And I used to be a naysayer.

agreed.  Its light years ahead of my ole adsl2.     I can stream anything in full HD, UHD at anytime, anywhere in the house.

Congrats on the move!

I have been with Optus wireless broadband for close to 4 years now and it works a treat!  

I even take it when I go away camping and stuff as the modem is totally portable. If you get a wireless dongle for the sim it will have a smaller footprint and will be 100% portable. The speed does drop a bit, but hey it will be closer to 50mbps on 5g... ?

On 31/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, NIN said:

Is it unlimited plan? NBN has issue all the time, their cable fails every 1 or 2 months for 1 - 3 days.

I'm with Aussie BB, and i am constantly getting NBN outages (at least once a month) due to power, electrical issues at the exchange and NBN scheduled repairs every 2-3 months.  ABB has been great to communcate this but the whole NBN service is skeptical at best.

On 01/01/2021 at 2:08 PM, Tubularbells said:

So true.  Many external providers have a slice of the 'Telstra' pie, makes rolling out or doing anything time consuming. Not to mention the abuse of the temporary work visa's that was exploited to expedite cheap skilled labour by these offshore companies when i last worked there....

We signed to the cheapest 5G plan - $75 for 100Mbps plan.  cheaper than any similar speed for NBN.

As I type this in the music room, at the other end of where the modem is - the speeds are

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Big jump in speed!  When i had adsl2+ 4 years ago when the NBN wasnt rolled out in my suburb, i was getting 5mb down and 2mb up.  I couldnt get any higher due to bad copper lines apparently.

I put up with this for 3 years and only got NBN HFC in Feb 2019 which was 100mb down, 40up consistently with ABB.

• Like 1

You'd love to live where I do: We are about 3-4 kms from 2 major towns on the S/C in suburbia.

Telstra - inside the house - maybe half a bar in the morning

Optus - about the same.

We now have to rely on wifi calling which is obviously dependent on a good internet signal which we did have for 3.5 out of the last 4 years. 

We ditched any idea of using NBN and opted for Flash Fibres which operates via line of sight with a receiver on the roof pointing to a transmitter on the top of a nearby hill.

Other horrible companies to deal with:

AGL

AMP

• Like 1

Just got given an 1800 number to contact them to configure a new smart meter which was installed 12 months ago. The solar installers who put my new system on 2 days ago were able to see the production and consumption figures on the online app so it is obviously working but there is no income being produced.

Rang the number and after 3 diversions to another department, it dropped out.

Great service!

On 23/02/2021 at 10:08 PM, metal beat said:

agreed.  Its light years ahead of my ole adsl2.     I can stream anything in full HD, UHD at anytime, anywhere in the house.

Only slightly negative thing with Telstra's 5G is the modem not being bridgeable, though minor quibble.