Cambridge Audio owners... what's your problem history?

Hi folks

I own a Cambridge Audio CXA60. I've loved its performance outside of the issues I've had with its input board (repaired twice and we've been good for a while now).

I took a chance on a Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport despite the CXA60 experience and up until today I've had no issues. I decided to test out the coax output: it worked for 1 minute (i.e. perfect sound) but then the sound cut out and was replaced by a faint clicking sound. The sole other output (SPDIF) works fine. And the coax cable works fine with my streamer.

1. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with other Cambridge CXCs? (potentially an output board issue?)

2. What are your experiences with other Cambridge Audio products? After these issues there is no chance I am investing in this brand again.

Cheers,

Dan.

Hi Dan

Ive had a stream magic, an azur 650 amp and CD player for approximately 5 years. Had no real issues other than I mistakenly thought a channel had gone until I realised the terminal was loose.

• Like 1

I've found them great.

Had an Azur amp, and the 640p phono stage.

Both went well, and great re-sale value when it came time to upgrade.

• Like 2

I'm into vintage...
The Azur 540R is a bit of a lemon, has problems with the volume control. Picked up another 2 units for parts, all with the same problem. Needed a IC, local support was not great but they did eventually (8months) provide the IC.

The A500's do chernobyl taking out a lot of real estate in the power amp. Got 2.

Don't think I'd spend more than $200- buying anything CA, can do better elsewhere.

• Like 1

@mbz @candyflip @Jobd2212 Thanks for the insight. It seems none of you touched the CX range - maybe that's where I went wrong and perhaps to be expected in the entry-level range (my wife would laugh if you told her it was entry level :D). I tested the CXC transport the following day and it started working again - will have to monitor it.

Apologies - just checked old records.

My amp was the Cambridge Audio TOPAZ SR10 Stereo Receiver.

Never gave me a day's trouble.

• Like 1

@nowallet I have a CXA-60 that has been faultless for the last 5 years - not a single issue, concern or fault.

it is only no longer my main amp because I picked up an a Cambridge 851A at a steal 😀

Edited by ethro
removed irrelevant comment line
3 hours ago, ethro said:

@nowallet I have a CXA-60 that has been faultless for the last 5 years - not a single issue, concern or fault.

it is only no longer my main amp because I picked up an a Cambridge 851A at a steal 😀

Happy to hear that! It's great when it works :) Just looked up the specs of the 851A and it looks amazing.

I have this problem with my Azur 351r seems like a common fault my remote works fine, I have not tried the detox fix yet.

Same amp sometimes won't turn on while in standby from either the remote or the front on/off button, have to reach round the back and reset. 

1 hour ago, Powerglide said:

I have this problem with my Azur 351r seems like a common fault my remote works fine, I have not tried the detox fix yet.

Same amp sometimes won't turn on while in standby from either the remote or the front on/off button, have to reach round the back and reset. 

This sounds similar to the issue I had with the CXA60. The power button was lit up but wouldn't turn on via button press + remote.

I have a CXN V2, and have been looking for an excuse to trade up, but it has kept working, and firmware updates mean it is more capable than it was when I first got it- used to be limited to 16/44 via airplay and now it can do 24/192 via ROON RAAT. And it sounds good too!

• Like 1

I have a CXN V1 which has very good sound indeed from its double up-sampling Wolffson converters. Unfortunately it won't let me play 'some' digital files from an external Seagate HD. Some, not all, won't play when the general various FLAC files in the drive are actually alike/similar/OK size, and not 'complicated' formats. My IT son-in-law suggests that the processing power of the CXN just can't handle the request sometimes. Very aggravating.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...