Dynaudio Focus XD series (active wireless) HALF PRICE

On 27/03/2021 at 10:38 AM, o2so said:

With that said, if you like your speakers I'd suggest to just get a new generation class D amp and a minidsp shd which is a streamer/preamp/ room correction/DAC all in one and you'll have a world class source for less than 3 grand. 

Thanks for the advice. I do like the PMC sound signature (at least the ones before they moved onto the 20/25 series which I haven’t heard). I just wonder if I’m missing out on what appears to be a bargain. Maybe I should go audition them. Edit: scrap that, been told no more speakers. I’m stuck with the PMC’s. Time to focus on finding an amp.

Edited by renesis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I received my set of 60XD’s on Friday. Haven’t had a chance to listen yet, suffice they are a lot of speaker for the money. Finish is very nice. Will write up some listening thoughts soon 

B95B7A10-CB33-4E69-B116-3A2D47912B01.jpeg

D7B58FC6-2DC9-4567-AD8A-B76DCFF3717D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I received my set of 60XD’s on Friday. Haven’t had a chance to listen yet, suffice they are a lot of speaker for the money. Finish is very nice. Will write up some listening thoughts soon 

Love the high gloss Rosewood finish.

You won't be disappointed.

I have the 600XD's with 60XD firmware update.

Great speakers, easy to use, very convenient just turn your source on & the speakers turn on by themselves.

Although I do prefer to use my Denafrips Venus 2 R2R Dac through the analogue inputs rather than the internal analogue conversion via the digital input.

And a surprisingly perfect fit for my small 3.7m x 3.2m room given the amount of drivers and amplifiers inside.

Edited by Muzza71
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, renesis said:

Thanks for the advice. I do like the PMC sound signature (at least the ones before they moved onto the 20/25 series which I haven’t heard). I just wonder if I’m missing out on what appears to be a bargain. Maybe I should go audition them. Edit: scrap that, been told no more speakers. I’m stuck with the PMC’s. Time to focus on finding an amp.

For what it's worth, I think that's a good call, I have listened to the GB1 and the Focus 260 (passive predecessor to the 30 XD) around the same time and I thought they were pretty different. I remember the PMC as having a kind of warm romantic sound that you wouldn't necessarily get from the Dynaudio so if you like that sound you might be disappointed. The GB1(i) are very special speakers.

Also the Dynaudios don't come with a streamer, it's an extra $750 for the connect box which has pretty limited streaming capabilities.

3 hours ago, Muzza71 said:

Great speakers, easy to use, very convenient just turn your source on & the speakers turn on by themselves.

Although I do prefer to use my Denafrips Venus 2 R2R Dac through the analogue inputs rather than the internal analogue conversion via the digital input.

And a surprisingly perfect fit for my small 3.7m x 3.2m room given the amount of drivers and amplifiers inside.

Hi Muza;

Thankyou, you answered one of my initial thoughts analogue v digital connection.

Will try the analogue first I think. ?

4 hours ago, Muzza71 said:

If I may ask, how is your external dac improving the sound? The Dyns will digitize your analogue input, run it through the internal digital crossover and dsp and then, using their internal dac, convert it to analogue before sending it to drivers. So if I am correct by adding an external dac, even a very good  dac, you are simply adding an A/D and  D/A step  to the chain. I would think that, if anything, this will degrade the signal. 

Edited by o2so

5 hours ago, renesis said:

I only heard the 20 and 25 series, so maybe that's why. 

4 hours ago, Ray H said:

B95B7A10-CB33-4E69-B116-3A2D47912B01.jpeg

D7B58FC6-2DC9-4567-AD8A-B76DCFF3717D.jpeg

Nice colour. How convenient is that tweeter protector? I spray-painted mine in black and leave it on all the time (except when listening obvs) to avoid any kid induced damage. 

16169230483056097531646399612315.jpg

Edited by o2so
  • Like 2

@o2so 

The analogue connection bypasses the internal analogue conversion.

The dsp is for the bass adjustment.

I have run both inputs into many different components, most recently a DCS Network Bridge and to my ears the Denafrips Venus 2 R2R Dac is my preference.

There were no obvious improvements though when I compared the Primaluna Dac 100 or Line Magnetic LM32 to the internal analogue conversion.

I continue to use the phrase analogue conversion as I believe from memory the Dynaudios don't have an internal dac, the digital signal is converted somehow directly to the drivers.

Like myself you will have to experiment to find your preference, fortunately the Dynaudio's offer that flexibility.

You can press the input button on the fly to change between analogue and digital input for a direct comparison.

20201014_144812.jpg

Edited by Muzza71
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, o2so said:

Nice colour. How convenient is that tweeter protector? I spray-painted mine in black and leave it on all the time (except when listening obvs) to avoid any kid induced damage. 

16169230483056097531646399612315.jpg

That's not a bad idea, Dyn tweeters being about the most fragile things in the known universe. ? It takes real restraint to resist the urge to clean the dust off them. There's a cat hair on one of mine. It lives there now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Muzza71 said:

@o2so 

I have run both inputs into many different components, most recently a DCS Network Bridge and to my ears the Denafrips Venus 2 R2R Dac is my preference.

There were no obvious improvements though when I compared the Primaluna Dac 100 or Line Magnetic LM32 to the internal analogue conversion.

I continue to use the phrase analogue conversion as I believe from memory the Dynaudios don't have an internal dac, the signal is converted somehow directly to the drivers.

Like myself you will have to experiment to find your preference, fortunately the Dynaudio's offer that flexibility.

You can press the input button on the fly to change between analogue and digital input for a direct comparison.

20201014_144812.jpg

Are you 100% positive? Cause I am pretty sure of what I am saying. The crossover is digital, I think. 

6 minutes ago, Muzza71 said:

@o2so 

I continue to use the phrase analogue conversion as I believe from memory the Dynaudios don't have an internal dac, the digital signal is converted somehow directly to the drivers.

20201014_144812.jpg

Also, they must have a DAC. A digital signal won't move the drivers. If the DAC is integrated in the amp like Nad does, it's still a conversion you have to go through. 

Edited by o2so

18 minutes ago, Muzza71 said:

@o2so 

20201014_144812.jpg

I think I was right mate. But yes, they use a PCM to PWM conversion in the amp. Which means the amp must take PCM (digital) input only. So any analog input is converted to digital. 

From the Stereophile review:

according to Dynaudio, all signals are processed digitally in the amplifier without analog conversion, and remain in the digital domain until the latest possible and most ideal moment—right at the drivers. When I asked Dynaudio USA's Mike Manousselis and Mick Tillman for more information, they told me that the amp is based on Texas Instruments' True Digital Audio Amplifier (TDAA) and TAS5015 Digital Audio PWM Processor, based on Toccata's Equibit technology, which accept a PCM digital audio stream and convert it to a PWM audio stream to drive the speakers

Edited by o2so

I must admit, first time I have had a dynaudio shipped with the tweeter cover, I nearly put a finger through the tweeter taking it off. But pretty convenient once you are used to how they come off

11 hours ago, Ray H said:

I must admit, first time I have had a dynaudio shipped with the tweeter cover, I nearly put a finger through the tweeter taking it off. But pretty convenient once you are used to how they come off

true. I was very careful for the first week or two but now I am used to it and it is a breeze

On 26/01/2021 at 7:07 AM, o2so said:

Do you know what tweeter is on the focus 60xd?

I read somewhere that it is a version of the esotar, while somewhere else it says it's just the same esotec found in older focus models. Any Intel? 

Tony Morgan in his 01 March 2018 review of the 60 XD wrote "The tweeter in the 60XD is not an Esotar2 , but one of Dynaudio's lower-specced Esotec+s". He also said that thanks to the advantage of the active crossover ,DSP etc it sounded as sweet as an esotar.

1 hour ago, Cichlabxr said:

Tony Morgan in his 01 March 2018 review of the 60 XD wrote "The tweeter in the 60XD is not an Esotar2 , but one of Dynaudio's lower-specced Esotec+s". He also said that thanks to the advantage of the active crossover ,DSP etc it sounded as sweet as an esotar.

I saw a few reviews of the original passive Dynaudio Focus line saying that the tweeter was "based on" the Esotar... and some speculation that Dynaudio went with the Esotec name because Esotar is reserved for the higher lines

On 25/03/2021 at 7:57 AM, o2so said:

I purchased a par of 60 XD and, after a very long at home audition (the retailer left their XD speakers with me for over 2 weeks to test) during which I compared these with the following set up:

- Kef LS50 Meta

- Two SB2000 Pro subs

- All integrated perfectly with MiniDSP SHD