Hi all,

I would like to do some auto room correction with my I35 prisma and sub and my Yamaha AVR and sub but know very little about it.

I can't do much with room treatment because I'm renting so I'm looking at alternatives.

REW, minidsp 2x4 hd and minidsp umik-1 combo seems to be very popular but not sure how to integrate into the systems.

If you think there are better combo options please share.

I don't have a laptop to use so looking at purchasing a laptop or preferable building a Nuc connected to my TV.

Does the computer need to have a sound card for REW to work?

Much appreciated.
10 hours ago, woopwoop360 said:

REW, minidsp 2x4 hd and minidsp umik-1 combo seems to be very popular but not sure how to integrate into the systems.

generally the 2x4hd would go in between the pre-out and power in of your integrated amp to perform X-over duties to your sub (low pass filter) and mains (high pass filter) + room EQ

REW and umik only need to be connected during measurements

10 hours ago, woopwoop360 said:

Does the computer need to have a sound card for REW to work?

yes

11 hours ago, woopwoop360 said:

I would like to do some auto room correction

you would also need something to do the calcs like Dirac Live...

...I'm not that familiar with auto room EQ - I tend to apply my room EQ manually

mike

1 hour ago, almikel said:

a very quick scan shows the miniDSP DDRC-24 is basically a miniDSP HD 2 x 4 + Dirac live...I think

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24

Yep. That’s exactly it. It’s a 2 in, 4 out DSP box with the ability to do room correction via Dirac Live or via REW generated curves. More than capable for doing room correction for most setups and super flexible for other tweaks you may want too.

Suggest you read the following

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-room-correction/drc-basics

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-room-correction/dirac-live-vs-rew

Being new to room correction, suggest avoiding REW and use Dirac Live.  Yes, Dirac Live cost a lot more, but it is much easier to learn and use. More importantly, it produces good results.  

You will need either a Win or Apple PC to run Dirac Live. 

For OP, I’d consider connecting the i35 to the Yamaha avr in a HT bypass setup. Put the minidsp 2x4 across the Pre outs on the i35 and run Dirac there. Each of your processors will be limited to a single sub this way.

if you’re running Roon for music, I’d do things differently. I’d setup convolution filters in Roon for room correction and I’d use the minidsp to do subwoofer integration.

I’d use the minidsp 2x4 on the sub outs of each processor and I would multiplex them in the routing config in the 2x4. This way if sub signal is sent from the primare OR the Yamaha, it will get sent to both subs.

this latter approach is how I run my setup. The avr in my setup is an anthem d2v where I run arc for HT room correction. 2 channel room correction I do with convolution filters I built with Mitch from Accurate sound. https://accuratesound.ca

this way I can run dual subs on HT and 2 channel duties and get the best of both worlds.

4 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

For OP, I’d consider connecting the i35 to the Yamaha avr in a HT bypass setup. Put the minidsp 2x4 across the Pre outs on the i35 and run Dirac there. Each of your processors will be limited to a single sub this way.

if you’re running Roon for music, I’d do things differently. I’d setup convolution filters in Roon for room correction and I’d use the minidsp to do subwoofer integration.

I’d use the minidsp 2x4 on the sub outs of each processor and I would multiplex them in the routing config in the 2x4. This way if sub signal is sent from the primare OR the Yamaha, it will get sent to both subs.

this latter approach is how I run my setup. The avr in my setup is an anthem d2v where I run arc for HT room correction. 2 channel room correction I do with convolution filters I built with Mitch from Accurate sound. https://accuratesound.ca

this way I can run dual subs on HT and 2 channel duties and get the best of both worlds.

You have developed a sophisticated approach to room correction but OP is new to the topic...  

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

This is how I am currently setup.

Primare I35 Prisma is in HT bypass with the Yamaha rxr3080 AV for the front channels.

The I35 is connected to my older Whatmough ported sub.

I'm running a Nuc Roon Core to the I35 through USB. Sounds great and waiting to receive a reclocker to help improve the sound further.

The Yamaha rxr3080 (hopefuly I made a good choice here replacing my Primare Spa22) is a 5.1 system connect to a SVS SB3000 sub, which has some builtin EQ capabilities, currently disabled.

Turntable and phono stage connected to I35.

Oppo 205 and and Android TV box connected to Av.

This is what I was thinking reading what I can understand and watching Youtube.

Using REW to take measurements of sub and front speaker placement and make those adjustments on the Yamaha and SVS sub.

Connecting a minidsp with REW or Dirac whichever is best suited to the I35 for fronts and sub room corrections.

Still unclear if I can use a separate Nuc with REW or best to purchase a laptop if I end up going down this route.

I hope this makes sense if not please ask me to clarify on any of the points.

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Yep. I'd use REW to get levels correct and even across your mains and sub when connected to the i35.

I'd also run some sweeps using REW to get an idea on your room's frequency response. See: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew#anchor-6 

Key things to look at are:

This is a good REW starters guide: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/rew-101-hts-current-version-pdf.66155/

If you like what you see, it's work getting a calibrated mic like the Umik from minidsp.

The DDRC from MiniDSP will do a good job of room correction and it's pretty simple to drive then customise. There's lots of us on here with Dirac on a bunch of platforms so don't be afraid to dive in and ask questions.

1 hour ago, woopwoop360 said:

Still unclear if I can use a separate Nuc with REW or best to purchase a laptop if I end up going down this route.

just get a laptop to run REW - keeps measurements separate from your stereo setup...and you can review measurements from your laptop without being connected to your stereo... 

Mike

4 minutes ago, almikel said:

just get a laptop to run REW - keeps measurements separate from your stereo setup...and you can review measurements from your laptop without being connected to your stereo... 

If you deploy a miniDSP DDRC-24 in between your current  I35 prisma pre-out/power in, there's no requirement for a NUC...but a laptop running REW is always useful.

Mike