Can anyone help me set up my Krell Foundation preamp? Location Mernda, Melbourne. Can do Zoom etc too 👍
Thanks 🙏 

C5077E4F-1CB4-4AFC-9F77-CF77CF4C7441.jpeg

Edited by 57John
Added location and Zoom reference
  • Administrators

It's pretty much plug and play, aside from the Speaker measurement and EQ side of things which can be daunting if you've never experienced similar with an AVR before. What is it exactly you are having trouble with? Have you completed the wiring up and got sound/picture so far?

You may need to hook the unit up to a TV or monitor to access the menu/set up functions. This may not be immediately apparent from the manual.

40 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's pretty much plug and play, aside from the Speaker measurement and EQ side of things which can be daunting if you've never experienced similar with an AVR before. What is it exactly you are having trouble with? Have you completed the wiring up and got sound/picture so far?

Hi Marc

So plugged my CD player rca into it and rca out to my Primaluna amp and nothing.

Scrolled through the source menu and found cd. Still nothing.

Not quite plug and play...

Plugged my ethernet cable in. Got a network error message. Another dead end.

Just now, 57John said:

Hi Marc

So plugged my CD player rca into it and rca out to my Primaluna amp and nothing.

Scrolled through the source menu and found cd. Still nothing.

Not quite plug and play...

Plugged my ethernet cable in. Got a network error message. Another dead end.

Thanks for replying Marc.

28 minutes ago, DRC said:

You may need to hook the unit up to a TV or monitor to access the menu/set up functions. This may not be immediately apparent from the manual.

G’day DRC. Haven’t been able to it connect to my network via ethernet cable yet. Getting an error message.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, 57John said:

G’day DRC. Haven’t been able to it connect to my network via ethernet cable yet. Getting an error message.

Understood, but have you hooked up the HDMI output to a TV so you can see the interface/settings?

Just now, Marc said:

Understood, but have you hooked up the HDMI output to a TV so you can see the interface/settings?

Blue screen ... from HDMI 

2C0B89BB-38DC-4940-B98C-A94BA4D36650.jpeg

• Administrators

OK there is no GUI for the TV display so scrap that. Setup has to be done via the OLED display on the unit, or a web interface which is no use given you are getting a network error. What does the display on the unit itself show? 

Have you done a factory reset via the onscreen interface? Start there and then hopefully the network might kick start.

Just now, Marc said:

OK there is no GUI for the TV display so scrap that. Setup has to be done via the OLED display on the unit, or a web interface which is no use given you are getting a network error. What does the display on the unit itself show? 

Have you done a factory reset via the onscreen interface? Start there and then hopefully the network might kick start.

Marc 

thanks mate.

i started with that factory reset during that I’m imagining I’m losing whatever software updates he’s done. So tick  on factory update successfully complete.

Im sure it’s something logical I’m missing in set up.

im gunna bring it over to the router and plug it in there to see if I can get the net working ... will report back.

• Administrators

Factory resets IME don't generally undo firmware updates. 

This unit is renowned for having an unintuitive setup process, but nonetheless you should at least be able to quickly get picture and sound.

IMO, chasing the network problem is not a priority at this stage. If you have done a factory reset, you should be able to get some output pretty quickly.

Assuming you know how to wire up the system? 

Krell_Foundation_4K_Processor_Rear-1.jpg

You should have a HDMI cable from OUT1 to the input on your TV.

You should have a pair of Audio Out RCAs from your CD player (or HDMI from a Blu-ray player) connected to Analog Input 1 (or HDMI1) on the Krell. Then on Source selection, you need to choose Analog Input 1 (or HDMI1).

The Analog Audio Out from the Krell (L,R as shown above), should be connected to the inputs on your amplifier.

This should give you sound of some sort or display a picture in the first instance.

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

This unit is renowned for having an unintuitive setup process, but nonetheless you should at least be able to quickly get picture and sound.

IMO, chasing the network problem is not a priority at this stage. If you have done a factory reset, you should be able to get some output pretty quickly.

You should have a pair of RCAs from your CD player (or HDMI from a Blu-ray player) connected from the Audio Out (or HDMI out) to Analog Input 1 (or HDMI1).

Then on Source selection, you need to choose Analog Input 1 (or HDMI1).

The Analog Audio Audio (L,R as shown above), should be connected to the inputs on your amplifier.

This should give you sound of some sort or display a picture in the first instance.

Let me return to you soon after rewiring her back up after the visit to the router in the garage...much appreciate your support Marc thank you 

8 minutes ago, 57John said:

Let me return to you soon after rewiring her back up after the visit to the router in the garage...much appreciate your support Marc thank you 

Ok here’s the set up...

D3DA2E76-63C4-45C2-90FD-80B1AE2F52B9.jpeg

6C1EBDB7-7343-4714-9093-1B5CBBE7F0AA.jpeg

• Administrators

It looks like someone has renamed an input to CD (guessing), so there's no telling if that actually is Input 1 or otherwise from your pic.

The photo is not really helpful without seeing the entire wiring unfortunately.

• Administrators

If it were called Blu-ray by default - it may well be an HDMI input, rather than an Analog audio input.

I would suggest that you factory reset the unit, make no changes, and try as I have suggested in an earlier post.

6 hours ago, Marc said:

You should have a pair of RCAs from your CD player (or HDMI from a Blu-ray player) connected from the Audio Out (or HDMI out) to Analog Input 1 (or HDMI1).

The Analog Audio Audio (L,R as shown above), should be connected to the inputs on your amplifier.

FFF36550-AA8F-4949-9E83-CEF54646302D.png

8BC02AAA-5674-4D29-A307-A48F6BBA8D75.png

9D71AEF2-D860-4B2F-9C48-CE7AC6AAFC6A.png

6 hours ago, Marc said:

How to do this...

the options are

CD

DVD

DVR

Game3

Game2

Game1

Sat2

Sat1

Cable2

Cable1

STB2

STB1

Bluray2

Bluray1

TV

DMP

CD...

On 31/12/2020 at 7:09 PM, 57John said:

So I’m not sure how to reach analog input 1...

A feature of the Krell is intelligent hdmi John ; heres a pdf on the setup ; looks intuitive assigning memories to each input -and it auto switches to the right decoder :)

Press the Right button to move cursor to Aud (Audio) field. Press the Up or Down button to select desired audio input.

Krell_Foundation_Processor_Owners_Reference.pdf (krellhifi.com) 

It was a conscience decision from Krell  to foregoe a complete osd to get to a lower price point than the 707 etc . They added more osd when they upgraded the hdmi version lateir irc

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, cwt said:

A feature of the Krell is intelligent hdmi John ; heres a pdf on the setup ; looks intuitive assigning memories to each input -and it auto switches to the right decoder :)

Krell_Foundation_Processor_Owners_Reference.pdf (krellhifi.com) 

It was a conscience decision from Krell  to foregoe a complete osd to get to a lower price point than the 707 etc . They added more osd when they upgraded the hdmi version lateir irc

Hi cwt

im not using hdmi yet. Just rca from my Luxman D06u SACD CD player.

I have many copies of the manual that you referenced.

So why doesn’t it play when I set it to cd? Or Blu-ray player either. It plays fine through the Marantz. 

And zero response to the remote. New batteries loaded.

ive even tried turning the volume to 75. And tried both zones main and 2. Zip.

Edited by 57John
Spell check
14 minutes ago, 57John said:

So why doesn’t it play when I set it to cd? Or Blu-ray player either. It plays fine through the Marantz. 

So assign input doesnt work ? What about the assign  memory ?

Press the Up or Down button to select source to edit. Press the Enter button and Vid (video) field will start flashing. Press the Up or Down button to select desired video input. Press the Right button to move cursor to Aud (Audio) field. Press the Up or Down button to select desired audio input. Press the Enter button to confirm changes. Press the Up or Down button to select a different source to edit.

Assign Memory Press the Enter button to enter the Assign Memory sub menu. The first source, BD1: Bluray1, is displayed along with its assigned memory. Press the Up or Down button to select a different source or press the Enter Button and the Memory field will flash. Press the Up or Down button to change the memory setting. Press Enter to confirm setting. Press the Left button to return to the Source Setup sub menu.

If thats the case maybe the 2 cd options in the list you posted above equates to 1 being digital and 1 being analogue ; but thats a long shot . Its usually cheaper avr's and pre's that lock an input type to a specific socket ; the Krell is obviously much more assignable letting you do things like watch the tv while listening to the radio for sports say . If no luck I suggest you enquire in the Krell foundation sub forum @ avs forum  

Krell Foundation Owners Thread | Page 259 | AVS Forum

1 hour ago, cwt said:

If thats the case maybe the 2 cd options in the list you posted above equates to 1 being digital and 1 being analogue ; but thats a long shot . Its usually cheaper avr's and pre's that lock an input type to a specific socket ; the Krell is obviously much more assignable letting you do things like watch the tv while listening to the radio for sports say . If no luck I suggest you enquire in the Krell foundation sub forum @ avs forum  

Thanks for this referral.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cwt said:

No I put the cd again just to show we had reached the end of the list and it begins the rotation again...