Harman Kardon pm655vxi repair help

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help with my PM655 Vxi unit. I bought it completly dead and I'm trying to fix it, but I've hit the brick wall and can't figure it out. The amp fries resistors R474 and R476, as well as Q430.

So far, I've replaced (as they were confirmed dead) the following, see the replacement too:

Q441 / Q442 - MJL3281AG
Q443 / Q444 - MJL1302
Q437 / Q438 - 2SC4883
Q439 / Q440 - 2SA1859
Q435 / Q436 - KSA1013YTA
Q433 / Q434 - KSC2383OTA
Q430 / Q429 - KSC945CYTA

I've also replaced the trimmers for the right channel and R439/R440 with 220Ohm resistors. It does damage the above 3 componenets, even when I plug a 100W buld into the PSU fuse.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Use a lower wattage bulb, eg, 30-50W so as to limit available power to the amp. You've replaced Q430 and "everything" downstream. Since Q430 blows problem is likely to be upstream of Q430. Schematic has R440 as 2.2k, your replacement being 220 ohms, why?

If R440 is stressed then maybe Q414e voltage is too low (so high volt drop across R440 and high current).

Suggest DBT power up with 30W bulb, check voltage at Q414b or R408, compare with working channel.

Thanks Mike.

P440 swap is one of suggested mods, so that the Q414 runs cooler. I'll keep working up the stream, but so far all of the transistors seem to be fine... 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By garethb
      Item: 3x Omni 10 and 1x Adept wireless adaptor
      Price: $425
      Item Condition: Used as new
      Reason for selling: Sidegrade
      Payment Method: Any
      Extra Info:

I've had these speakers for around 3 years with the adapter. The adaptor will connect to any existing system and make it part of the wireless system. Great to have background music playing throughout the day around the house (what I used for). The speakers can also follow you around by the touch of a button or set-up multiple zones.

I bought these as they support hires audio and are a perfect fit for Tidal and sound a lot better than the Sonos play 1. Should wrap the words high Res in quotes maybe, but there is a significant difference streaming Spotify so it does do something....

Note: Harman Kardon app does not support Spotify built in, native Tidal and Deezer support built in though and works great. For Spotify you have to use Bluetooth (I used Alexa to control Spotify and setup Alexa to use these speakers for music instead of her own) or 3.5mm Jack.

Photos:

• By Vish
      Item: Harman Kardon AVR 370 7.2-channel, wireless, network-connected A/V receiver with AirPlay
      Price:  $550
      Item Condition: Used but well maintained (looks brand new) 
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to a new Amp 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      7.2-channel wireless network-connected audio/video receiver with 125 watts per channel output. Featuring Apple AirPlay, High-Definition Dolby® and DTS® surround-sound decoding (including True HD & DTS HD-MA capability), multizone functionality and 4K video scaling

Experience the pinnacle of home entertainment. The Harman Kardon® AVR 370 delivers high-definition video and 125 watts per channel of 7.2-channel surround sound so realistically that the experience of sitting down and watching a movie seems anything but passive. Eight HDMI ® inputs, with 3D and Audio Return Channel, including one on the front panel, keep you connected to all your digital components, playing them back in rich, vivid quality. Built-in Wi-Fi® networking and Apple AirPlay software give you wireless access to all the media files on your iPod, smartphone, tablet and computer with remarkable. Elevate your home theater experience to its highest level. The AVR cinephiles dream of. Cinematic experience • HDMI with 3D, Audio Return Channel, CEC and Deep Colour • Powerful 7.2-channel surround system • Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ decoding Supreme connectivity • Built-in Wi-Fi networking • AirPlay-enabled • 4K video pass-through and scaling • Control applications for Apple and Android™ products

Spec sheet attached for reference. 

Pictures:

AVR370_SS_EN.pdf

• By Jazz_AU
      Item: Harman Kardon Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
      Price:
      Item Condition: Excellent 
      Reason for selling: Not used.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal 
      Extra Info: Includes USB charging cable, Travel Case, Manual.
      Amp power - 2 x 10 watts.
      Listening time on battery power - 10 hours.

Pictures:

• By minhdung1911
      Hi guys,
      I'm after a combo of Harman Kardon HK 3490 and HD 990. I can source these from the UK for $1k but i want to see if anyone has has these up for sale in Aus. I'm located in Brisbane.
      Thank you.
      Regards
      Tommy
    • By 81Vintage
      Item: Tannoy Arena Premium Speaker System
      Location: Mascot - Sydney (Can Ship To Any Australian Metro Area for Reasonable Price)
      Price: Looking for $2200 full System
      Item Condition: 9.9/10 (As new and balance of warranty)
      Reason for selling: Moving, Downsizing, Upgrading - However you want to look at it   
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Amazing speakers, I have used the Arena's in 2.1 hifi, 2 channel stereo office systems and 3x different theater configs and they are amazing for their size. I have multiple sets and am basically combining the last lot into a 5 channel setup and selling as I am going in ceiling for my new theater setup with Arena fronts & centre.

5x Tannoy Area Speaker System with the optional Speaker Stands for the rears (or fronts depending on your layout)

These speakers are now discontinued and originally cost over $5000 with the stands.

http://www.hnny.nl/testen/tannoy/arena-AVGuide.pdf

The standard Arena sub was disappointing and letting the speakers down, so I upgraded to the Focal 11" and it is a far better sounding system now.

1x Focal Chorus SW700S 11" Subwoofer - this was $1600 new

1x Harman Kardon BDS580 5.1 Surround Receiver + Integrated 3D Blu-ray Player, Wireless, Airplay, Bluetooth Streaming & Internet Streaming Aps + auto room calibration microphone to set system up specifically for your room - this is only 6 months old and was $1200

http://br.harmankardon.com/harman-kardon-product-detail_br/hk-bds-580bq230-b2.html

5x Quality QED Speaker Cables worth $350 included.

I am selling as I have just bought a new place and fitted the rear speakers in ceiling plus purchased a larger subwoofer and upgraded amp/processor.

I am using the same tannoy area front and centre speakers that are in this package still as they are amazing, especially when you see the size of them and how good they look.

As you can see the system is sleek and slim and compliments a modern apartment/home. Don't let their size fool you - these will fill the room with quality audiophile music and blow you away with your favourite surround movies and look stunning doing so.

Happy to demo for serious buyers if you are in Sydney, located in Mascot.

I can package and freight in Australia for the cost of post.