BoyuuRange A50 MKIII 300B Single-end Class A Tube Intergrated Amplifier Reisong

• 2 months later...

Hi, a pre-out RCA is not the best way to connect a sub for hi-fi use. It's mostly used for theatre. Much better is to connect in parallel with speakers using the speaker level inputs. The amp won't see the sub as the load presented by a plate amplifier’s high level inputs is much higher. As a result, the impedance load added is inconsequential and you won't have to worry about using a different tap. 

Unfortunately, your Klipsch sub probably doesn't have speaker level inputs as it was intended for theatre use. (For stereo, ideally you need two subs as there are L&R signals)

On 05/03/2021 at 7:39 AM, oztayls said:

Hi, a pre-out RCA is not the best way to connect a sub for hi-fi use. It's mostly used for theatre. Much better is to connect in parallel with speakers using the speaker level inputs.

You've got it 'a about t', Bruce!  :lol:

REL pioneered subs for HT - rather than music.  They recommend high level (ie. spkr inputs) ... subs designed for stereo music have RCA (or XLR) low level inputs.

Unfortunately, your Klipsch sub probably doesn't have speaker level inputs as it was intended for theatre use.

Taking REL as an example ... if it was intended for HT use - then it will have spkr-level inputs.

On 05/03/2021 at 7:39 AM, oztayls said:

(For stereo, ideally you need two subs as there are L&R signals)

Now you've said something I can agree with.  :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr
2 hours ago, andyr said:

You've got it 'a about t', Bruce!  :lol:

REL pioneered subs for HT - rather than music.  They recommend high level (ie. spkr inputs) ... subs designed for stereo music have RCA (or XLR) low level inputs.

Taking REL as an example ... if it was intended for HT use - then it will have spkr-level inputs.

Now you've said something I can agree with.  :thumb:

Andy

Well, it depends Andy. If the stereo amp is not so hi-fi, then you might be better off using the low level connection and amplifying the bass sig from the bottom up using the plate amp of the sub. Rel's plate amp is very decent, so I'd go low level if I was playing with a lesser AV amp! Otherwise, with a decent system amp, the better option is to amplify with the speaker level signal. Lots written and said about the subject (PS Audio et al), but people will always have their own opinions and preferences. 

I based (and stand by) my answer on the OP's question about connecting a sub to his 300b amp. It would definitely not be in his interests to mod the amp.

1 hour ago, oztayls said:

I based (and stand by) my answer on the OP's question about connecting a sub to his 300b amp. It would definitely not be in his interests to mod the amp.

In what way does he have to mod the amp, oz?

If he only has one pair of output RCAs on his pre (which currently go into his power amp) and he wants another pair of output RCAs to go to his subs ... he simply puts a pair of RCA 'T' connectors in his preamp RCA out sockets.  Then he has 2 sets of cables in these 'T' connectors:

• one going to the power amp
  • one going to the subs.

Andy

His amp is integrated and so a preamp is not necessary, nor required. A preamp would not be recommended in this case because it adds a bunch of unnecessary components, not to mention another potentiometer into the signal path of an amp that already has a preamp and pot. I’m just saying, but people still do it without thinking it through, even though the signal is being degraded. A preamp is only required if the amp is a power amp. 

3 hours ago, oztayls said:

His amp is integrated and so a preamp is not necessary, nor required. A preamp would not be recommended in this case because it adds a bunch of unnecessary components, not to mention another potentiometer into the signal path of an amp that already has a preamp and pot. I’m just saying, but people still do it without thinking it through, even though the signal is being degraded. A preamp is only required if the amp is a power amp. 

Sure, if the amp is an integrated one - then a (separate) preamp is not required.

And if this integrated amp doesn't offer 'pre outs' plus 'pre ins' ... then the OP has no choice but to drive his sub(s) using the amp's spkr terminals.

Andy