Nuc power supply and Dac's

Hi all, Happy Holidays...

Two questions.

First? should I upgrade my standard power supply on my Intel NUC8I7BEH running Roon Rock for a linear power supply because I'm getting noise in my speakers when It's turned on and connect directly by USB to my Primare I35 Prisma?

Second? does anyone have an opinion which dac is better using the above Roon Rock either the Primare I35 or the Oppo UDP-205 directly connected by USB? it’s much simpler and less equipment turned on if I use the I35.

All sorted, hearing no more hiss on my speakers or the Nuc making it worse.

The problem was most likely the RCA cables I was using with the Primare I35 for the bypass to my Yamaha rxr3080 avr or the avr itself.

I am now using some XLR cables for Bypass duties.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Yep. I had similar issues a while back with some decent rca’s which were acting like a antenna. Apparently some are source end grounded and the experiences I’ve had with them are ordinary.  I chopped mine in half and sent it to the skip so it didn’t cause me grief again. 

18 hours ago, woopwoop360 said:

First? should I upgrade my standard power supply on my Intel NUC8I7BEH running Roon Rock for a linear power supply because I'm getting noise in my speakers when It's turned on and connect directly by USB to my Primare I35 Prisma?

Good to know you have solved the noise problem.  However, you should upgrade the power supply because it will give better sound quality.

Second? does anyone have an opinion which dac is better using the above Roon Rock either the Primare I35 or the Oppo UDP-205 directly connected by USB? it’s much simpler and less equipment turned on if I use the I35.

I prefer simple but you will probably need to listen and compare yourself. Plus you need to consider a decent USB cable with the Oppo.

Two questions.

It would depend on which sound you prefer. The dual ES9038PRO chips in the Oppo versus the AKM AK4497EQ in the Primare. Each chip has a distinctive sound, which to choose is a matter of listening taste to most. If it was me I would choose  the AKM sound. But of course it's up to your ears ?

19 hours ago, woopwoop360 said:

Two questions.

Maybe but having the Prisma means you don't need it connected via USB and you can use the network. Would be worth trying as this may make certain upstream devices and upgrades somewhat irrelevant.

The I35 is impressive and the 205 was much better than I thought it would be. Haven't done a direct comparison but I'd put my money on the Primare. If you have both it is worth trying them too.

14 minutes ago, Niktech said:

It would depend on which sound you prefer. The dual ES9038PRO chips in the Oppo versus the AKM AK4497EQ in the Primare. Each chip has a distinctive sound, which to choose is a matter of listening taste to most. If it was me I would choose  the AKM sound. But of course it's up to your ears ?

Not always as simple as just the chip used but yeah most prefer the newer AKMs. Sad about their factory

Nice that you got the noise issue sorted. The I35 is a very good unit.

40 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Good to know you have solved the noise problem.  However, you should upgrade the power supply because it will give better sound quality.

I prefer simple but you will probably need to listen and compare yourself. Plus you need to consider a decent USB cable with the Oppo.

Thank's

I have looked at a better power supply but not knowing which one to go for and prices starting from like $400 for quality. I'll wait till something comes up in the classifieds.

Just bought from the classifieds the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB reclocker, I hope this will help with sound quality.

14 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Maybe but having the Prisma means you don't need it connected via USB and you can use the network. Would be worth trying as this may make certain upstream devices and upgrades somewhat irrelevant.

The I35 is impressive and the 205 was much better than I thought it would be. Haven't done a direct comparison but I'd put my money on the Primare. If you have both it is worth trying them too.

Not always as simple as just the chip used but yeah most prefer the newer AKMs. Sad about their factory

The sound is great with I35 I just don't know enough about chips and dacs.

Connecting direct with USB gives me no dropouts or disconnections and I'm getting full MQA with Roon as I did with the OPPO USB dac.

This just seems to work best and cleaner.

21 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

True, it is not only about the chip, but how it sounds in your playback chain -musicality. I have found Sabre chips to be a bit cold and clinical for my liking I've now moved to R2R.

3 minutes ago, woopwoop360 said:

The other reason I was asking, if I use the Oppo with Roon Rock I get all the metadata info displayed on my TV screen.

Yeah, that is an advantage. 

There are Roon apps though for both Android and Apple.

Pick whichever device sounds best to your ears. Give each a trial run in your music system before making a final decision ?