Sign in to follow this  
poeee

Best Entry Level Av Reciever?

I'm new to all this home HiFi stuff (been into car stuff for a little while).

I'm looking at setting up a good bang for buck system and interested in your thoughts on the best bang for buck or entry level AV reciever?

Sorry moderators! It's Friday and I have no idea why I posted it in the FOR SALE forum! :)

That's OK i've moved it for you :)

Sorry moderators! It's Friday and I have no idea why I posted it in the FOR SALE forum! :)[/b]

lol... no problems mate.

There are new Onkyo AVR's that are worth a look see.

I'm looking at setting up a good bang for buck system and interested in your thoughts on the best bang for buck or entry level AV reciever?[/b]

Hi Poeee

Just about to grab an Onkyo for my HT. This'll replace a Denon 2803. The onkyo 605 is a new model that has analogue up-conversion to HDMI as well as the Hi-res audio formats compatible with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Looks the goods for the money.

Cheers

M

I'm looking at a lot more entry level than the Onkyo 605.

I'm looking at a lot more entry level than the Onkyo 605.[/b]

Well Excuuuse me! :biggrin:

I guess I was using the servants entry and you are going through the front door...

Cheers

M

Nope, you read it wrong (or did I type it wrong?!)... Onkyo 605 is very much out of the price range I was thinking. Maybe less than 1/2 the price of the 605???? :biggrin:

At that price you are better off getting a 2 channel system to be honest.

cambridge audio[/b]

Hello Yardley-

I would have to agree the Cambridge offers great value at ~ $1000. In the $1500 to $2000 ish range I like the Rotel RSX1056 (now superceded) or its successor the RSX1057. All of these offer very good performance for your $.

Best

JA

I'm looking at setting up a good bang for buck system and interested in your thoughts on the best bang for buck or entry level AV reciever?[/b]

Poeee,

It might pay to look at a posting I made regarding the Panasonic XF57.Or look up this model or the XF50

You can buy these for around$650 and they sound superb.They use digital amplifier technology not transistor.These things run rings around similar priced transistor amps -which sound very crude and gutless by comparison.

Yamaha rxv2700....just bought one for just under $2k, and I gotta say it does the job for me....upscales everything....foxtel even looks 100% better, but the best thing of all is the overall improve in sound reproduction when listening to audio only in stereo. I have these large electrostatic speakers that I have never really liked....they came with their own amp.....buy now switching them to the new yammy....all I can say is swweeeet sound....the whole room just fills with sound. For the last syears I have been using an older version yammy receiver and energy satellite speakers for my HT....and its done the job, but even that now sounds better......If thats too expensive for you than I agree with Thomo.....my mate's got a panasonic xf57 hooked up to some old bookshelf wharfdales in his garage, and it sounds great.....we have a few beers in there sometimes and after a while it sounds even better.......Oh and Poeee.....GO THE CATTERS...

Nope, you read it wrong (or did I type it wrong?!)... Onkyo 605 is very much out of the price range I was thinking. Maybe less than 1/2 the price of the 605???? :biggrin:[/b]

Hmmm,

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for the confusion. If you don't mind S/H, I'm selling my Denon 2803 for not too much. Ripper receiver just not the right connectivity for what I need now.

I'll send you a PM with contact details if you're interested.

Cheers

M

I'm equally cheap :) So my solution - I have a stereo power amp made from two mono kit amps, and a cheap receiver (which has full pre-outs for interesting bi/tri wiring use if desired).

My "power amp" is just dual SC480s, I've tried a chip amp and a bunch of old integrated amps - having the pre-outs makes life easy to try these things (if you trust it's pre-amp stage, mine seems quite neutral to me). My receiver is a pioneer vsx816, no longer available however - a basic cheap unit with some handy features.

At present I just run a stereo setup, but am looking at DIY for some surround and centre speakers. It isn't for everyone, but the best bet for cheap high quality stuff is:

- Go stereo, not surround

- DIY can deliver outstanding results for a low price, 2nd hand gear is also good

What's your actual budget?

I am by no means an expert, but the last few AV receivers I have had have been sub $1000 Pioneers, and they seem to be pretty decent, have had Pioneer receivers for the past 10 or more years and never had a problem with them. Plenty of power, sound OK, good features etc.

Others can probably offer better advice, but if you want to spend between $600 and 1k, from my own personal experience i can recommend Pioneer but i have had little experience with other brands.

woooo i wouldnt say plenty of power with entry lvl pioneer avrs. i would say they are ok, quite reliable but wouldnt ever say plentiful of juice. the vsx917vs would be ok if u really wanted an avr. up to u to weigh the options though.

woooo i wouldnt say plenty of power with entry lvl pioneer avrs. i would say they are ok, quite reliable but wouldnt ever say plentiful of juice. the vsx917vs would be ok if u really wanted an avr. up to u to weigh the options though.[/b]

For the money theres not really anything you can get with more power. They seem to all have about 100w or so at that price range