Suggest a cart for this TT please.

My mate in the UK was gifted a Linn Sondek this week by a very generous mate of his. It looks to have a Linn arm but the LS experts can confirm this. He needs to get a cart for this thing so I thought I’d leave this up to those that know. Want to keep it a pretty modest budget so let’s have your ideas. Thanks in advance guys. M Edit: it’s an Ittok IV arm I believe. M

BFB115D8-C39C-418B-804E-E7752696183D.jpeg

Edited by unclemack

Hey UM

I think cat would be happy with any cart as long as it's in Canary yellow but anyway here's a link to an old thread which might help, or at the very least bump your Q back to the top

Churs

Ticc

Hi, wow lovely gift. He should join Hifi wigwam forum as they have a very active Linn section. The arm is an Ittok but missing the counterweight at back which I assume has been removed for transport or some reason. 
A great arm so can take MM and MC cartridges easily. If just a modest budget then from memory the AT 95e is well regarded. Dynavector cartridges also popular as is Linn.

Happy hunting!

• Thanks 1

Need more info in regard to the TT mate. Unless he knows what he's doing then a Linn Sondek LP12 can be an absolute nightmare.

Has he got the counter weight for the Ittok? What is the serial number at the back of the plinth?

The Perspex cover looks in good nick even via the crappy phone pic. A 103r would be fine for him if he's not got a budget stretching to hundreds and hundreds and possibly thousands.

Pulled down the way it looks in the pic it's going to need to be fettled by someone who knows what to do or he does it himself via a phone hookup with someone who does.

Does he have access to a shop which sells LP12's or a shop that can fettle a TT? That would be the best route.

When was the last time it spun a tune? Has the bearing oil been checked?

Heaps of Q's go with a gift like this UM.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, unclemack said:

My mate in the UK was gifted a Linn Sondek this week by a very generous mate of his. It looks to have a Linn arm but the LS experts can confirm this. He needs to get a cart for this thing so I thought I’d leave this up to those that know. Want to keep it a pretty modest budget so let’s have your ideas. Thanks in advance guys. M Edit: it’s an Ittok IV arm I believe. M

BFB115D8-C39C-418B-804E-E7752696183D.jpeg

If he's got the counterweight, get him to go to a HiFi shop that sells Linn and most prob Audio Technica, get them to mount one of the 95 Series cartridges on it and fettle it up. If the Valhalla board is ok, it shouldnt be a bother. They can advise him on simple upgrades for later as well. Get the shop interested.?

Edited by Wimbo
fettle

I second the AT VM95ML. I had an LP12 I bought new in 1983 with the original K9 with the yellow stylus (this used the AT95 body with Linn stylus). Before I bought a Troika I had the K9 mounted in an Ittok and it was very good setup.

Don't be tempted to think MC is better than MM. When MC first arrived on the scene they had (for the most part) better stylus profiles than MM's, except for a few, Stanton 881 and AT150MLX to name 2. This was because manufacturers wanted to sell a premium product and charged a premium price.

15 hours ago, Luc said:

Need more info in regard to the TT mate. Unless he knows what he's doing then a Linn Sondek LP12 can be an absolute nightmare.

Has he got the counter weight for the Ittok? What is the serial number at the back of the plinth?

The Perspex cover looks in good nick even via the crappy phone pic. A 103r would be fine for him if he's not got a budget stretching to hundreds and hundreds and possibly thousands.

Pulled down the way it looks in the pic it's going to need to be fettled by someone who knows what to do or he does it himself via a phone hookup with someone who does.

Does he have access to a shop which sells LP12's or a shop that can fettle a TT? That would be the best route.

When was the last time it spun a tune? Has the bearing oil been checked?

Heaps of Q's go with a gift like this UM.

Here are some more pics mate. 

7E2A1274-9EB9-4071-8356-1A0E37D17817.jpeg

901F241B-3163-4511-8952-52E847A3FABF.jpeg

3E3125D9-A804-4A7C-879B-0FC53762473D.jpeg

965191EF-F352-4648-A89D-FB687BCF8973.jpeg

F0D0FB29-C1F0-4DF5-AC27-54A48981EACC.jpeg

@unclemack Looks like an 84/85 model going by the serial number. Post Vallhala power supply and Nirvana Spring set which is good.

As I said before, take it to a local Linn dealer. Get the unit checked and balanced spring wise and get them to put an AT 95 cartridge on it.

The cartridges sell for under $100 if the budget is low.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 2

I have an Ittok arm on my LP-12 and really like Audio Technica OC9ML/mk2 and Denon DL-301 mk2.  Both have a very nice detailed, but warm sound on the arm. Mine is currently equipped with the Denon.