Where to eat in Glenelg SA?

• Moderators

Hi all 

I know there is no shortage of eateries here but does anything stand out?

Its the brides birthday this week and we’re staying in Glenelg.

looking for some advice for something nice but not over the top as our teenage sons will be tagging along.

Any dinner suggestions appreciated 😊

Hi Joz

I haven't eaten at Glenelg for a while, but Cardone's (Seafood and pasta) and the Strand (more bistro style/ casual) are right next to each other on Jetty Rd, and generally solid 

• Like 2

The absolute best steak you'll taste and triple cooked hand cut chips is to be had at a nondescript shop front in Glenelg. I have a bunch of BIL's who live in SA and they are gourmands and they've taken us(me/wife/hungry gutted son and petite daughte with a ravenous appetite) there twice and it is indeed one of the best food XP's we've had. This aint no restaurant as such. Front desk, theres your bench table and my husband/son/uncle/aunt will be out shortly to serve you. They cut their own carcasses and age them, not sure if they also grow them but...it was  a fantastic bit of meat and the chips required a second order. I believe it's a bit of an institution down that way with the second and third generations involved.

If you need the address let me know and I'll ring one of the BIL's and get it for you.  (duck salami kinda stuff Joe) 

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Luc said:

The absolute best steak you'll taste and triple cooked hand cut chips is to be had at a nondescript shop front in Glenelg. I have a bunch of BIL's who live in SA and they are gourmands and they've taken us(me/wife/hungry gutted son and petite daughte with a ravenous appetite) there twice and it is indeed one of the best food XP's we've had. This aint no restaurant as such. Front desk, theres your bench table and my husband/son/uncle/aunt will be out shortly to serve you. They cut their own carcasses and age them, not sure if they also grow them but...it was  a fantastic bit of meat and the chips required a second order. I believe it's a bit of an institution down that way with the second and third generations involved.

If you need the address let me know and I'll ring one of the BIL's and get it for you.  (duck salami kinda stuff Joe) 

yes please will try it anyway 

If you don't mind some fast foods, here are some suggestions for a quick bite,

• North Indian Cuisine, 41 Jetty Rd
  • Souvlaki Bros yiros, 9A Moseley Square
  • Orange Spot Bakery, 752 Anzac Highway

While pricey, we used to enjoy the seafood buffet at The Promenade Restaurant inside The Stamford Grand. We haven't been back for a while, and I see their online reviews are mix. 

• Like 1

Here's my Trip Advisor review of Sammy's On The Marina (it's the only place I've been to recently:

"Sammy's is a "silver service" restaurant and as such the service is attentive, the food is excellent, the view can be spectacular (depending on your table) and the prices are above average.
On our afternoon there was a guitarist/singer who was very pleasant, not too loud, and who took requests.
We all enjoyed our meals--the fish was fresh and well-prepared, if somewhat unimaginative. The servings sizes were good, such that we didn't really have room for dessert.
The wines were well chosen, and the ones we had were excellent--not ones we'd heard of before.
I'd go again for a special occasion."

• Like 2

While on the subject of food, please note that South Australian rock lobsters are the best in the world.

"The wild-caught Southern Rock Lobster (Jasus edwardsii) is noted for its superb taste and texture due to the nutrient-rich, cold, clean waters of the Southern Ocean. With its generous meat-to-shell ratio—almost double that of other lobster species—it is one of the world’s most indulgent food experiences."

https://saltmag.asia/food/ingredients/why-south-australian-seafood-is-the-best/

@jozJoe, the Joint is the BBQ Inn 160 Jetty Rd and the family is Croatian, Mention Robbie Mullarvey's name and they'll look after you.

Another recommendation from him is Tomiko Japanese Tipanyaki, Holdfast Shores.  (We've been there and it was superb).

• Like 3

Joz

BBQ Inn is great if you want steak/meat.

If you get the tram into town, go to Lantern by Nu,  It is in Selby St, just near gouger/Morphett corner.

The chef is excellent (Thai, chef Nu).

Alternately, Little NNQ is excellent.

If you want any advice on where to go, please call.

If you can get to Tanunda, try Ferment Asian.  Fantastic.

Benje, Norwood

Edited by Benje
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Benje said:

Agree about Ferment Asian, but booking ahead is essential from our experience. 

@LHC, lunch is a little easier re booking at Ferment Asian.

Hardest thing is working out who is meant to be driving back to Adelaide...... and are they capable.

• Haha 1

Oi, Joe.  ( @joz )

After all this advice, you'd better report back that you've visited  one or more of the establishments with the Joz tribe.

It's a given that you'll post pics as well

• Haha 1
  • Moderators

Ok, we’ve been eating out and about the Glenelg area for a few days now.

But we decided on a place called Pantai on the foreshore Oak complex .

Unfortunately for the photo op we were more interested in eating rather taking pics of the food.

Here it is  after digging in.

Very enjoyable!

6D287E39-8622-4471-8F95-EFA8226B5235.jpeg

• Like 2
On 27/12/2020 at 1:15 PM, Luc said:

@jozJoe, the Joint is the BBQ Inn 160 Jetty Rd and the family is Croatian, Mention Robbie Mullarvey's name and they'll look after you.

Another recommendation from him is Tomiko Japanese Tipanyaki, Holdfast Shores.  (We've been there and it was superb).

Might be a bit late to chime in Joz, but as a local Adelaidite I can wholeheartedly recommend both these two if you are in Glenelg.

Enjoy your stay in SA!

41 minutes ago, joz said:

Unfortunately for the photo op we were more interested in eating rather taking pics of the food.

Here it is  after digging in.

Very enjoyable!

Which is just as it should be! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. 

On 27/12/2020 at 1:26 PM, Benje said:

I have been there and I agree it is very good. But. If you are out that way, why not go full throttle and try a Hentley Farm degustation? Not cheap but absolutely next level.

I am also late on this one but Sabai is one of the best Thai restaurants in SA and Mediterranean has good salads. Organik is good for breakfast especially if you eat outside in the back which has a nice relaxing vibe. All are in South Glenelg so a bit of a stroll to get there.