HDMI cable recommendation and configuration

Hi,

I’m in the market for a new Oled TV (4K not 8K) and I want to consider hdmi configuration options, and cables that meet the spec without costing too much.

My source is an Oppo 203 (modded power supply), and my AVR is a Cambridge Audio CXR200. The current configuration is:

HDMI from Oppo to AVR

HDMI from AVR to (current) TV

toslink from TV to AVR (for free to-air TV)

Should I replicate the same setup (with HDMI taking out the Toslink) or change it up by going OPPO to TV as well?

For the cables, I presume I should aim for 2.1 spec? One day the CXR200 will come out of the picture. Current specs say 

8 x HDMI (6 x HDMI 2.0, 2 x HDMI 1.4/MHL), HDCP 2.2, ARC supported on HDMI 1 output

I'm not sure that the the Oppo has two HDMI outs, one is optimised for video, (I have the 103 and it has two HDMI outputs). Connect that port directly to the TV. Connect the 2nd HDMI out to the AVR. You'll get the best of both worlds. 

I'd give ezyhd.com.au a look for affordable a reliable HDMI cables. I've used them for years without issues. 

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Well, I'm committed now. Bought a 77" Sony A9G OLED.

So the advice is now more urgent.  The Oppo does have two HDMI out - one that just does audio. I was only a little concerned that if it was separated then there would be issues to do with lip sync between image (to screen) and sound (to AVR).

I don't really understand ARC, so I'd better brush up on that.

Would recommend Audioquest Coffee I have one in two meters, I upgraded the DBS pack to Carbon 72v, I had the original version 72v. Absolutely love it, currently using with Oppo 105D and 43inch Samsung Serif. There’s a listing in FS for one now. Well worth considering 

Neo

18 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Well, I'm committed now. Bought a 77" Sony A9G OLED.

So the advice is now more urgent.  The Oppo does have two HDMI out - one that just does audio. I was only a little concerned that if it was separated then there would be issues to do with lip sync between image (to screen) and sound (to AVR).

Congrats! ? 

It is likely that your Onkyo TX-NR906 cannot pass through 4K video, so you will need Oppo hdmi to AVR, Oppo hdmi to TV.  Until you replace your AVR, you will need to use 2 HDMI outs from Oppo and adjust lip synch when required.

No need to get any special HDMI cables, unless you have very long runs. Another happy EzyHD customer, reused cables from plasma to 4K TV.

ARC allows you to feed audio from TV to AVR. In your case, use HDMI 1 from TV to AVR and  another HDMI port to take input from Oppo. 

In my case, I have single HDMI cable between AVR and TV. It takes video & audio from AVR to TV.  It also takes audio from TV and streaming services (e.g. Prime Video) and feeds into AVR.

22 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Yes lip sync may be a problem if you separate the oppo's hdmi video and audio [ the audio actually has a blank video signal sent as well] and 1 cable is just as good as separates. your cr200 should/can handle 4k as its got hdcp2.2 . Earlier hdmi versions like 1.4 had a weaker drm version[digital rights management ] -hdcp1.4

because we cant be trusted so they try to improve it ?

ARC can be unreliable [too many proprietary schemes like anynet vieralink etc] and is being replaced by E-ARC which is a subset of hdmi2.1 . This handles lossless instead of lossy streaming for any apps on your tv or say an appletv 4k . hooked directly to your oled 

HDMI is all about bandwidth as been said ; 18gbps cabling is fine for our current 4k/60 maximum sources [from a pana 4k bd player say] and it will be ages before we get any of the 8k or 4k/120 frame rate sources in the future . The main hi bandwidth sources 1st seen will be games for the ps5 or new x box and they are years away...

So if you want to future proof for any reason you cant go past something like a 8k 48gbps capable fibre optic ruipro like this    HDMI 8K Fibre Optic cable RuiPro | EZYHD

but there are others that are perfectly adequate for current 4k ; I have no problems over 25ft using wireworld chroma 8  with ethernet [ the ethernet isolates the tmds traces very well] 

Edited by cwt
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Congrats! ? 

It is likely that your Onkyo TX-NR906 cannot pass through 4K video, so you will need Oppo hdmi to AVR, Oppo hdmi to TV.  Until you replace your AVR, you will need to use 2 HDMI outs from Oppo and adjust lip synch when required.

No need to get any special HDMI cables, unless you have very long runs. Another happy EzyHD customer, reused cables from plasma to 4K TV.

ARC allows you to feed audio from TV to AVR. In your case, use HDMI 1 from TV to AVR and  another HDMI port to take input from Oppo. 

In my case, I have single HDMI cable between AVR and TV. It takes video & audio from AVR to TV.  It also takes audio from TV and streaming services (e.g. Prime Video) and feeds into AVR.

Ah... I see I haven't updated my profile for a while. I've basically turned over all my gear.

My AVR is Cambridge Audio CXR-200. The Oppo is a 203, with some modding.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cwt said:

So if you want to future proof for any reason you cant go past something like a 8k 48gbps capable fibre optic ruipro like this    HDMI 8K Fibre Optic cable RuiPro | EZYHD

but there are others that are perfectly adequate for current 4k ; I have no problems over 25ft using wireworld chroma 8  with ethernet [ the ethernet isolates the tmds traces very well] 

Great minds think alike - I ordered a RuiPro a few days ago. Were doing a good price on 3m lengths.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Ah... I see I haven't updated my profile for a while. I've basically turned over all my gear.

My AVR is Cambridge Audio CXR-200. The Oppo is a 203, with some modding.

?  Looks like you have things in hand then.  Enjoy...

Follow up question to any that want to wade it.

My TV has standard IEC power plug with using 2 prongs - no ground.

Would it be worth considering an after market power cable? Not big bucks, but maybe one with good shielding?

19 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Follow up question to any that want to wade it.

My TV has standard IEC power plug with using 2 prongs - no ground.

Would it be worth considering an after market power cable? Not big bucks, but maybe one with good shielding?

I my experience yes it was worth while

Neo

• Like 1

@Raffinator I have the same Sony 77 telly, recently got a MCRU No. 91 Australian Power Cord (it is Belden shielded and screened... MCRU also make a black Australian power cord if red is not your preference. I own both types).

It is inexpensive, well made, shielded, though it does take awhile to arrive from O/S. I find both cables a bit inflexible, but then again i find anything not a standard kettle cord a bit inflexible.

while i think ? the benefits are minor, one thing i have noticed since installing it is .... i no longer muck around with the video picture settings on the telly, (was doing that daily), am happy with the picture. As an aside, also got a black friday deal on an Audioquest Carbon hdmi cable, and also thought that made a minor subtle improvement.

if you want to go local, maybe consider Audio Principe, they look good and well made .... plus it appears they can do with a slim line IEC connector (which is needed as standard IEC connector is too big, need a cable with a slimline IEC).

Also worthwhile to perform a firmware update on the telly, Sony recently released a firmware update in the last month, apparently that helps (noticed on the AVS forums people had earc and arc issues). 

Also worthwhile checking out this AVS thread, D-Nice is a professional calibrator in the USA and has shared some settings for the 2020 make of this 77 Sony, see post 5413. This is for SDR 1080p settings.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2019-sony-a9g-master-series-oled-owners-thread.3067666/page-271#post-59576408

I especially find the colour settings beneficial over standard out of the box.

For HDR, it should inherit the SDR colour settings.

For HDR Dolby Vision , i leave the picture contrast brightness ? and peak luminance at max.

hope that helps

• Like 1

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Thank you all for your assistance. I'm closing the topic down.

That's not really how forums work. We'll leave it here for anyone else asking, or anyone else searching for answers like this in the near future :)