Musical Fidelity M3CD mods

Hi everyone! I’m reaching out in terms of opinions, advice and perspective based on the Musical Fidelity M3CD - I’ve been running one for around 18 months and it’s quite a capable CD player (I previously had to sell my Esoteric X-01D2 as to pay some medical bills). Despite the substantial downgrade since, the MF has certainly grown on me! Are there any known mods in terms of cap changes, mods to the clock, etc which can elevate this machine? I’ve noticed that the bass, whilst really robust, can be a little off timing as well as the channel separation which isn’t quite as sensational compared with other machines cheaper in the same class. Keen to hear anyone’s thoughts!

Hi Frank , recently completed a set of mods on a Musical Fiedelity M1 dac that transformered it from a capable dac to something rather special. The mods were designed by one of Pethsdmost highly regarded repair engineers and can be viewed ,in full, here https://liquidaudio.com.au/musical-fidelity-m1-dac-review-upgrades/

While not exactly the same internals as your cd player the article may well be a helpful guide.

The owner of the M1 recently tried a RME dac and preferred the M1 as it sounded "less clinical" but was otherwise at a very similarlevel sound quality wise

• Like 3

Hi Frank

in the proud owner of the MF M1 DAC, I am very impressed with the upgrades done by ozcall 

amazing sounding DAC. Performs well above its price point, tested against a Klein 3 and RME 

and prefer it above those 2 

now waiting to try a tube DAC MP-D2 MK3 so will see how it stacks up

i would say if you can have the M3 upgraded you won’t be disappointed by the upgrade 

sean 

• Like 1

Hi guys! Thanks for the replies! I actually opened my machine and also noticed the same thing - it seems that the Jamicon caps are in the M3CD as well so seems to be quite a common theme with MF in terms of choice of components. Excellent attention to the improvements on the M1! I'm taking notes and ideas as we speak :)