looking for advice on Surround Sound system line-up of Yamaha, Sony, Kenwood, Samsung, Bose etc

I'm currently having Yamaha RX-V361 5.1  Surround Sound system (https://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-rx-v361-series/) and looking to upgrade it to better sound quality Surround Sound system.

Not that I find any issues with my RX-V361, just thought there out be other  Surround Sound system better than my current one.

I'm looking in the used/second hand market, ideally below $600.. I can see there are heaps in the second hand market for this price range

Generally speaking, what the order in which you would position brands like Yamaha, Sony, Kenwood, Samsung, Bose.. .. any other from sound quality point of view.. love to hear about not so main stream but good band names in this line-up.. bit of elaboration would be highly appreciated.

To begin the discussion, I made a big mistake and bought Sony Muteki (Mu-te-ki) 7.2 Surround Sound system... I can't believe Sony still sell it without a shame.. absolute disgrace when come to sound quality.. when I play same song in Sony Vs my Yamaha even my 6 year kids can figure out which one to be dump to to the bin.

• 3 months later...

The models are too important not just the brand.  You might be able to get a better model in one brand for the same price of the base model in another brand for instance.

If you have no need to replace your current AVR (ie: you need extra HDMI inputs, more speaker outputs etc) then there will probably be no benefit "upgrading" to anything else as it won't be an upgrade. All AVRs are pretty much the same when it comes to sound reproduction.

Most of the differences are in the automatic calibration systems they use - YPAO, Audyssey, Dirac etc - so unless you have a sound issue in your room I wouldn't bother.

On 24/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, Dave007 said:

Generally speaking, what the order in which you would position brands like Yamaha, Sony, Kenwood, Samsung, Bose.. .. any other from sound quality point of view.. love to hear about not so main stream but good band names in this line-up.. bit of elaboration would be highly appreciated.

There is a "house sound" for a brand (e.g. Yamaha sounds slightly different to Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer) and some brands (e.g. Marantz, NAD, Anthem, Arcam) are thought to be more musical. Beyond that, cannot generalise on SQ.

Note that Kenwood, Samsung do not make AVRs. Bose make their own home systems that do not work with others. 

----

The room has the biggest impact but if your HT setup is in a shared environment and you cannot do room treatment then room correction software can help a little.

Then consider the following.  Often, adding a better or second sub can improve the movie experience. Or improving the speakers, especially the front 3.  Or maybe getting a more powerful AVR. Where is the weak link?

I have intentionally mentioned AVR last to encourage you to look at all the things that contribute to good SQ.  

Unless there’s something really wrong with the current AVR, just use it mate ..

A change of speakers or room acoustics will make a bigger difference ? 

• Like 1