To NAS or not to NAS?

41 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

iPhone, I understand; it is easy to use and easily acquired by a beginner.  Roon can be a big beast and can get complicated, not cheap to get and can require grunty hardware.  Not exactly easy for someone just starting out. 

Yeah, the analogy breaks down on that point.  I only meant that, it's the tech they are familiar with, so it's what they recommend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pulinap said:

Exactly.... The man asked for something simple....

As a happy roon user, setting up roon is simpler than setting up a nas. 

All you need to do is to install the roon software on any pc connected your intranet and it will detect compatible devices automatically. I am long term user of jriver, and the quality of the music transfer, the automatic filing function of my  8 T music files including labeled one and not labelled one made me really happy. (It will add meta data based on the analysis of the music files, even they are labelled randomly. ) Also it can recommend me different versions of same symphony by different conductors automatically from tidal and my local music library. Some of them have hundreds of different versions and  all are accessable on my finger tips.

The transfer of music in your intranet is superior than other protocol as it is using a technology called raat. You can access roon website to check out.

Personally I can't think of more handy and better service available other than roon. If you can give a cheaper example, I would be very thankful.

I know for some old fashioned audiophiles, the streaming of music is pure gimmick, as thy have invested countless hours on the vintage gears and medias such as CD or vinyls, and the technology might makes those not that matter. Preference is just preference, with all due respect, everyone can recommend anything they are enjoying , there is nothing wrong with it.

Well this is only my 2 cents. Lol 

Edited by thundom
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, thundom said:

The transfer of music in your intranet is superior than other protocol as it is using a technology called raat. You can access roon website to check out.

This part is broadly untrue. So is any notion that Roon is the last word in playback quality (it's certainly not bad though).

12 hours ago, thundom said:

Personally I can't think of more handy and better service available other than roon. 

This part is very true - Roon does a lot, and insofar as users that love music, are keen to explore and aren't so technical, Roon is pretty solid.

I transferred my collection onto a 1Tb (mixed albums) and 2 Tb (artists and their albums) USB Solid State Drives and plug them directly into my Streamer (Lumin U mini but should work on others).  I brought the drives on Amazon on Cyber Monday when they were nicely discounted.  My collection is separated in folders A-Z and then Artist and then Albums in sub folders ?  Mixed by genre.  Lumin seems to find the artwork as well.

Eventually I may lash out and buy a more powerful NAS and run MinimServer though I spend the majority of my time just streaming Tidal nowadays.  Just too convenient I reckon ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rosco8 said:

I transferred my collection onto a 1Tb (mixed albums) and 2 Tb (artists and their albums) USB Solid State Drives and plug them directly into my Streamer (Lumin U mini but should work on others).  I brought the drives on Amazon on Cyber Monday when they were nicely discounted.  My collection is separated in folders A-Z and then Artist and then Albums in sub folders ?  Mixed by genre.  Lumin seems to find the artwork as well.

Eventually I may lash out and buy a more powerful NAS and run MinimServer though I spend the majority of my time just streaming Tidal nowadays.  Just too convenient I reckon ?

Me too, haha

Tidal too handy.

• Haha 1

On 27/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, thundom said:

I know for some old fashioned audiophiles, the streaming of music is pure gimmick, as thy have invested countless hours on the vintage gears and medias such as CD or vinyls, and the technology might makes those not that matter. Preference is just preference, with all due respect, everyone can recommend anything they are enjoying , there is nothing wrong with it.

Streaming is certainly no pure gimmick, its just another method of delivery. I think that is a point to keep in mind. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All you need is a software which will organize your music library and an external HD which will hold your files. 

I use JRivers which is $50 I think and 10TB external HD drive . You don't need any stinky streamers , internet , modems and all the related $$$ junk. You run the usb output of your laptop to  USB dac or if  non of your dacs has USB input you buy cheap but decent USB /SPDIF converter and you're done. Yes , the inconvenience is the cable sticking out of the computer but it's nothing compared to  burning files into CDR and playing them on the player ...

Edited by Filemon
typo
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, the Bluesound Vault 2i arrived about a week ago. Easy peasy setup. Plugged my external hardrive in & set the BlueOS app up on my phone & lappie & started playing music.  The internal dac is decent, though yet to be fully burned in & sounds great through my Line Magnetic dac. One very happy punter. Thanks again for everyone's interest :)

• Like 1