Recommendations for amp servicing in Melbourne

Hey guys, 

Quick one, any recommendations for servicing/repair of a near 20 year old solid state amp?

Recently sold my Marantz PM8005 and just bought an early 2000's Teac Reference A-H500 amp to keep me going until I decide on another future amp. And surprise, surprise, the Teac A-H500 sounds phenomenal with my speakers. I'm a bit speechless given how little I paid for it!

It's near 20 years old, so it is probably well overdue for a service and I'm noticing the slightest channel imbalance (left channel a tiny bit more volume). Since buying it I've noted lots of European forum guys upgrading caps etc on these amps, so given how good it's sounding I'd like to get the imbalance sorted and potentially some easy upgrades. 

Trying to avoid the more eccentric amp techs I've experienced in the past......you know, place looks like a bombs gone off in the "workshop", keeps your amp for a minor repair for 4 months, charges arm and a leg, fault is still there 😂 (I'm damaged from previous encounters clearly). 

Please let me know any recommendations and great experiences you've had with older amp servicing/repair

Appreciate it

Brad

DSC09129-01.jpeg

Edited by dles1972

At 20 years old the amp shouldn't need a recap, it should be in its prime. Maybe post some hi-res pix of the inside/check for stressed caps. Have a critical listen, vague bass? crisp highs? If it sounds great then I wouldn't touch.  I've done about 30 recaps of my own gear, amps from the 70's, ie, 45-50 years old. Adjust the balance control or ocd???

41 minutes ago, mbz said:

At 20 years old the amp shouldn't need a recap, it should be in its prime. Maybe post some hi-res pix of the inside/check for stressed caps. Have a critical listen, vague bass? crisp highs? If it sounds great then I wouldn't touch.  I've done about 30 recaps of my own gear, amps from the 70's, ie, 45-50 years old. Adjust the balance control or ocd???

It's sounding crisp in the highs, bass is tight and articulate. More than I'd expected by miles. So from there I'm looking strictly at the balance issue, minor as it is. I am ocd with these things, it has to right. I can notch the balance control over ever so slightly it's in right. But, the CD channel has source direct cutting out tone and balance which I like. So would getting balance looked at be an ordeal? 

Edited by dles1972

To be fair, the balance could be anything, maybe a lazy transistor so possibly the start of something. Since the difference is audible it will clearly show up on an oscilloscope, the preferred method to track down. Service manual is available on hifiengine. Amp is "full of" relays so possibly a pitted contact. While not difficult it still takes time to track down.

• Love 1