Ceiling speakers - NOT for cinema

Hey guys, long time reader/member but not really regular poster here...

I'm in the midst of building my dream home and i'm at the stage i've started wiring it all for network/streaming sound.  In the combined family/meal/rumpus room I intend to have a pair of ceiling speakers roughly above the pool table which is in the center of a 12x8m room.  There is a possibility of running a subwoofer later on however I'd like to install a pair of ceiling speakers which have good bottom end response and can disperse the sound as wide as I can.  The ceiling height is 2550mm.

Most ceiling speakers i've found so far have been aimed more toward cinema or atmos and not really ideal for playing full range music in a large room.

Can I have some potential suggestions

52 minutes ago, broadz said:

Hey guys, long time reader/member but not really regular poster here...

I'm in the midst of building my dream home and i'm at the stage i've started wiring it all for network/streaming sound.  In the combined family/meal/rumpus room I intend to have a pair of ceiling speakers roughly above the pool table which is in the center of a 12x8m room.  There is a possibility of running a subwoofer later on however I'd like to install a pair of ceiling speakers which have good bottom end response and can disperse the sound as wide as I can.  The ceiling height is 2550mm.

Most ceiling speakers i've found so far have been aimed more toward cinema or atmos and not really ideal for playing full range music in a large room.

Can I have some potential suggestions

I'd seriously avoid in ceilings if you can go bracket mounted.  The sound dispersion cannot be compared between the two.  In ceilings spotlight the sound, whereas bracket mounted disperse it.  As a result you don't get loud areas under the speaker and quiet areas away from it like you do with in ceilings, which also often causes the volume to continually creep up.

If you have no choice, then Niles have a good range.  Some of their models have the option of being able to angle the drivers, which helps with dispersion -

https://www.nilesaudio.com/products/ceiling-and-wall-speakers

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, I've opted to go with two pairs of bookshelf speakers for this application however instead of running a soundbar for the master bedroom I am now doing a pair of in-ceiling speakers so this may still be relevant