Hey all. 

I have just set up my 8805 with some Elektra amps and connected to my JVC N7. 

On the first day of use, the audio would cut out after a minute or so. Then maybe after 10 seconds. When it cuts out, soft static like scratching sounds could be heard from the speakers. 

I got a bit frustrated so went to bed and tried the next day. Thankfully the issue had resolved itself and I was able to use the system like normal. Wonderful. 

tonight however, it happened again about an hour into a movie. Changing sound modes seems to fix the issue. Switching from Dolby surround to something else and back again. 

in one instance tonight, when it cut out there was a decent pop through all speakers and a solid thud through the sub. 

in the final instance which was the worst, audio cut out then a very loud high pitch sound like an alarm played through all speakers simultaneously. 

again, switching sound formats fixed the issue and we were able to watch the remaining 40 mins of the movie. 

Any ideas what may be causing this?

My first thought was something shorting. But why so inconsistent? My second thought was maybe an HDMI issue with the projector. The audio has cut out when using both my Apple TV for movies/tv/music and when I simply used Airplay from my iPhone directly to the Marantz 8805. 

I doubt it’s heat related because the amps and Marantz are only just warm to the touch. Nor power supply related as I’m not running the system hot at all. 

I also wondered if it was when the PSA sub was auto powering off then on again as the input signal triggered it, but I tried making that happen and no problem occurred. Or perhaps could it be other appliances in the house causing issues? Like a dishwasher or dryer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. this audio issue is ruining an otherwise amazing experience in both sound and visuals so far. 

kindest regards,

Scott

Edited by scottrichardson

Intermittent issues are the worst.  Start videoing the issue where you can as this will help if you have to take it back to the retailer.  If it doesn't fault for them, they may just keep sending it back.  A video makes that more difficult for them to do.

Not sure what it could be, there could be many causes.  Obviously re-check all of your cabling.  Then turn off all auto functions that are HDMI related and keep them off.  Then try removing all sources one at a time and test it.

Are you running a ceiling fan on the same power run?

• Like 1

As Kaynin said, intermittent issues are a pain. It took me several afternoons to isolate a bad interconnect cable between the 8805 and power amp that caused the left front channel to cut out intermittently. Turns out the cable ( RCA audio quest brand) has a short in the outer shield connection as I could reproduce the fault by squeezing lightly the shield jacket, but it was a bugger to find.

Agree with Kaynin....video it with your phone when it happens again and try fault finding logically. Other forums are mentioning a known firmware fault with latest update concerning bleeding of sound from centre channel to other channels that affects Dolby origin material; DTS tracks not affected, and Marantz Denon are working a solution.

I would start with cables as the likely source...but it could be anything in  the chain. Suspect my issue was caused by a pet traversing the space behind the equipment when I wasn’t home, but it could also have been my clumsy fingers bending the jacket when I installed the 8805 a few weeks back.

Good luck!!

The loud hum through all speakers may be caused by a ground loop that can come and go. To avoid that make sure all electrical components in your system are connected to the same circuit. 

5 hours ago, IanRM said:

As Kaynin said, intermittent issues are a pain. It took me several afternoons to isolate a bad interconnect cable between the 8805 and power amp that caused the left front channel to cut out intermittently. Turns out the cable ( RCA audio quest brand) has a short in the outer shield connection as I could reproduce the fault by squeezing lightly the shield jacket, but it was a bugger to find.

Agree with Kaynin....video it with your phone when it happens again and try fault finding logically. Other forums are mentioning a known firmware fault with latest update concerning bleeding of sound from centre channel to other channels that affects Dolby origin material; DTS tracks not affected, and Marantz Denon are working a solution.

I would start with cables as the likely source...but it could be anything in  the chain. Suspect my issue was caused by a pet traversing the space behind the equipment when I wasn’t home, but it could also have been my clumsy fingers bending the jacket when I installed the 8805 a few weeks back.

Good luck!!

Mines hooked up via XLR. all except the sub which is RCA. 

I spoke with the guys at Qualifi today, and they were lovely and helpful. Gave me a bunch of things to try for now, including power cycle, firmware update, and firmware reset. Failing those I’ll unplug all XLR and sub and plug one in at a time and test. 

The intermittent nature of the issue makes it difficult to know when to film. 

Otherwise, the out of the box sound is amazing. Still yet to run REW or Audyssey. 

• Like 1

So I’ve been fiddling with it all

arvo. 

Ran the firmware update. Ran REW and Audyssey. 

no problems during that process. 

Then I started watching a tv show via Apple TV and the audio popped once, then popped again and ONE of my two seven channel Elektra amps’ power buttons started flickering like there was an issue with it, the same flicker it does as it starts up. Then a few seconds later audio came back. 

could this indicate it’s one of the interconnects hooked up to that amp? Or maybe one of the speaker cables?

still doesn’t explain the loud high pitch sound from ALL speakers last night.  

A bad interconnect was my problem and I switched to xlr connections as you already have but I would still check each interconnect if the intermittent issue occurs. I would also check hdmi cables. We often catastrophise when a problem occurs and leap to a judgement that it “must be the processor” as it is the most expensive, complex, and newest item in your chain, but it may also be the Apple TV 4K...those things are good but also can be sources of problems as well. The hdmi hand shaking that goes on when the streaming device presents new source material in a different codec is quite a process and if the hdmi cable has an issue then that could cause strange sound results.

12 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

It could be the amp itself. 

You have to swap the amp channel, cables and sources around to isolate the problem.

for sure. Thankfully I have two unused channels on this particular amp. And another empty channel on the other amp also. So room to play if one channel has an issue temporarily until I were to get it fixed. 

• Like 1

Ok. So family had a movie on all afternoon. No problems. 

Tonight I watch a show for 10 mins and it starts cutting out over and over. 10 seconds then cuts out. 

Tonight I got the high pitch sound from all speakers once but otherwise just static and scratchy sounds very soft and no other audio. 

could the AVP simply be overhearing? I DO have it sitting on top of my two Elektras straddled between both of them. I had the same arrangement with my old 8802a AVP and 11ch of Elektra. But now I have 14ch of Elektra. The room does get quite warm with the PJ lamp on high and the amps cooking away. 

Just so bizarre that it worked all afternoon but not tonight. Super frustrating. 

I tried disconnecting the projector HDMI and it still did it. I swapped HDMI cables on the Apple TV and same issue. 

the only solution is to change sound formats back and forth again but that only lasted a few seconds tonight. 

So could it be heat related?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scottie. 

Alright. Further updates ahoy. 

this morning I fired it up cold and the issues presented immediately with cold amps. So that rules out the heat. 

I spent a good couple hours unplugging all channels, all HDMI etc and trying various scenarios to see if there was any identifying thing that caused the problem but eventually all options triggered the audio cut outs and static. 

so I did what the guys at Qualifi said to do, which is do a factory reset on the firmware by holding a couple buttons on the face while powering on. 

I then watched a couple shows with zero issues. Amazing!!!

note: I didn’t enable wifi on the AVP this time. Unsure if related. 

note 2: our ducted air con was OFF during this entire successful run with the AVP. Also unsure if related. 

• Like 3