INXS - which way to Swing ?

Hi y'all and seasons greetings

Looking for feedback from any peeps that have bought either...or both!!...of the vinyl reissues of The Swing.  It looks like the clear vinyl commands a premium over the trad black, which presumably is due to the former having a very high level of transparency 🙄  ?  However i'd expect the latter to have decent SQ with an inky black background between tracks right ? 😎  

Okay...so Dad jokes aside...i actually suspect there would be no discernible difference so i'd likely go for the cheaper one.  Whatcha reckon?  Either OK ? Or better to spring for an earlier release pressing fro Japan or elsewhere ? 

Cheers...Ticc

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.28.44 pm.png

Both these masters are the one's originally done for the 2014 INXS box set, which I have.

The Swing remaster and pressing sounds excellent.   This is black vinyl.

At best the transparent vinyl may be as quiet as the black and may sound the same, but in the majority coloured vinyl is not.  Both pressings are done by GZ vinyl.

I would buy the black every day of the week, but I am no fan of coloured vinyl from a noise and sound quality perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, awty said:

Whats wrong with original Australian pressings?

Nothing and it is awesome.  Having spent a considerable amount on both new and old records I am now firmly in the original camp. Kills most new pressings everyday for sound stage. I only buy new vinyl if the price of originals is prohibitive.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, awty said:

Whats wrong with original Australian pressings?

Nothing. The original Aussie pressing of The Swing sounds great.    Not all original Aussie pressings do thou, especially overseas bands..

However the op does not own one.  His question is regarding the 2 reissues. 

I have the reissue as I bought the box set back in 2014, mainly to get the then unreleased on vinyl - Elegantly Wasted. 

• Like 3

Just checking, some Australians pressing of Australians bands were pretty ordinary, especially songs that weren't destined for singles.

Inxs would of had the money to pay for quality engineering by then.

Don't think I have played my copy in a few decades, should I suppose. 

You did say you want the best SQ, so at $10 cheaper, the black is a no brainer. That's actually a good price for JBHiFi....

In regard to your last query, I have a Japanese 1st pressing of The Swing and it is outstanding. The bass is to die for.....so if you can find a good copy.....yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The clear vinyl is more expensive because it's a limited edition designed to gouge an extra $10 from collectors, and hopefully have collectors buy both the black and transparent pressings (in this case it would be for InXs fans who like to swing both ways 😀).  . 

I would purchase conservatively, and go for the black.  Transparent/coloured can sometimes sound equal to the black pressings, but many times they are found to be inferior.  I prefer not to gambol and prefer not to give money away for novelty value, which is why I take Amy Winehouse's advice and "go back to black".

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1