Devialet Gemini IEM

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh, yes. A few quick observations -  

They sound about as good as you’d expect from a Bluetooth, in-ear set up. They clearly have limitations, but are more than acceptable for the cordless convenience. Is there a Devialet sound? Having owned Phantoms, I’d say there kind of is - lots of bass, very defined highs. Pleasant, maybe a little electronic/sterile. Certainly better than the various Bose/Jaybird equivalents. I haven’t felt fatigued by the fit or the sound so far, so that’s a positive. 

I haven’t used Apple Pods, but guessing these are a step up as an audiophile solution, too.

Guess what doesn’t work well? The software....

Batteries run dead after a day of being left in their case. Bluetooth connections are fiddly, sometimes connecting, sometimes not. I haven’t pushed the noise cancelling options yet, but they have welcome levels of cancelling to choose from. It’s not diabolical, (that award goes to the KEF Stream app), but could certainly be better. Hopefully it will eventually. 

Will add some more as I discover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yeahpetrus said:

Ahh, yes. A few quick observations -  

They sound about as good as you’d expect from a Bluetooth, in-ear set up. They clearly have limitations, but are more than acceptable for the cordless convenience. Is there a Devialet sound? Having owned Phantoms, I’d say there kind of is - lots of bass, very defined highs. Pleasant, maybe a little electronic/sterile. Certainly better than the various Bose/Jaybird equivalents. I haven’t felt fatigued by the fit or the sound so far, so that’s a positive. 

I haven’t used Apple Pods, but guessing these are a step up as an audiophile solution, too.

Guess what doesn’t work well? The software....

Batteries run dead after a day of being left in their case. Bluetooth connections are fiddly, sometimes connecting, sometimes not. I haven’t pushed the noise cancelling options yet, but they have welcome levels of cancelling to choose from. It’s not diabolical, (that award goes to the KEF Stream app), but could certainly be better. Hopefully it will eventually. 

Will add some more as I discover. 

Sound like French made - emotional!  :) (apologies, could not resist, love them anyway)

Just to add - I figured out that the buds won't automatically disconnect when put them back in the case. This meant they continued to maintain a bluetooth connection when not in use, which drained the battery to zero every time.

Manually disconnecting them every time you stop using them solved this, (whilst obviously less convenient), and the battery life is at published levels. . 

23 minutes ago, yeahpetrus said:

Just to add - I figured out that the buds won't automatically disconnect when put them back in the case. This meant they continued to maintain a bluetooth connection when not in use, which drained the battery to zero every time.

Manually disconnecting them every time you stop using them solved this, (whilst obviously less convenient), and the battery life is at published levels. . 

That’s outstandingly silly design. Maybe they’ll fix it in firmware 

• Volunteer
2 hours ago, sakabatou said:

That’s outstandingly silly design. Maybe they’ll fix it in firmware 

If you've spent even a nanosecond on the Devialet Chat forum you'll know that waiting for something to be 'fixed in firmware' is a sure path to unhappiness

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

If you've spent even a nanosecond on the Devialet Chat forum you'll know that waiting for something to be 'fixed in firmware' is a sure path to unhappiness

not even a nanosecond!

Edited by sakabatou
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, yeahpetrus said:

These seem to have been removed from sale worldwide, which should help with the purchasing decision....

Oh well. 

They were first released on a pre-order basis, and the first production run would have likely been limited in a COVID-world.
Do you think they simply sold out, or perhaps the issues being experienced have led to them being pulled from the market?

Sadly we were unable to obtain a review sample. Weird distribution means the local supplier distributes the product, but is not responsible for marketing in any way. Try and contact the French .... impossible!

1 hour ago, Marc said:

They were first released on a pre-order basis, and the first production run would have likely been limited in a COVID-world.
Do you think they simply sold out, or perhaps the issues being experienced have led to them being pulled from the market?

I know we're speculating, but wouldn't be surprised if they are getting the supply side and firmware needs aligned. At least to minimise customer disappointment. They do sound good, but batteries are dead 90% of the time I reach for them. Fingers crossed.