Marks on New Vinyl

Received a record in the post, but notice in the runout groove there is like a smear mark in the vinyl - I have wet cleaned it twice and it is still there.

So I think it is in the vinyl itself.

I have played the record and the rest of it is flawless 😁 but of course on finishing when they stylus got to the run out it did then have the surface noise once it got to this patch.

Just wondering what they do the plant - is it left over residue from something?

I don't want to return it if it is nothing to worry about as the record itself is excellent. 

I have actually had this on a previous record too which I returned as the whole record was actually not great sounding, but this one the recording is not affected, just in the runout on side A.

Just curious what it is......

IMG_7520 copy.JPG

Have no real idea, but possibly the vinyl reacted to the glue on the label when being pressed, possibly didnt allow to cool enough. Quality control should of picked that up and should have been binned.

Vinyl will react that way at hot temperatures to certain chemicals. A large portion of my record collection was damaged from the vinyl reacting to  chemicals given off by some record sleeves while stored away in hot humid QLD.

Edited by awty
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

This mark looks like a smear.

Do they have "quality control" in modern record pressing plants?

Yes that is exactly what it looks like a big smear covers half the run out groove. Makes some surface noise once the stylus hits it. It is disappointing as the album sounds pristine until it hits the end of the LP on the side. 

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

... It is disappointing as the album sounds pristine until it hits the end of the LP on the side. 

It must be very annoying after enjoying a good side to be jarred by that noise.

32 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Sue

Can you return it?

yes I can - just a shame when the disc itself is perfect - worried the replacement might not be as good - LOL - isn't it awful that  we even think this way? Should be perfect all the time...... *sigh*

• Like 4

It looks a bit like glue to me - too much applied under the label and dried in place.

It *might* come off with a bit of PVA but probably easier to return it rather than risk accidentally damaging it further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Rubber said:

It looks a bit like glue to me - too much applied under the label and dried in place.

It *might* come off with a bit of PVA but probably easier to return it rather than risk accidentally damaging it further.

Surely the labels have no glue and stick to the hot vinyl purely through the pressure applied when pressed? Or they are self adhesive with minimal glue. I doubt that mark is glue.

I agree though that it is best to just return it for a replacement rather than trying a home remedy.

• Like 2

Possibly a trace of pressing mold release compound (no, not the fungus type)?  Annoying but be thankful the music part of the playing surface is pristine.

You'd think that over half a century of pressing LPs the manufacturers would have it down to a fine art, but alas it's all about profit and not so much about quality control. :(

Cheers,

Alan R.

On 20/12/2020 at 9:28 PM, April Snow said:

Received a record in the post, but notice in the runout groove there is like a smear mark in the vinyl - I have wet cleaned it twice and it is still there.

So I think it is in the vinyl itself.

I have played the record and the rest of it is flawless 😁 but of course on finishing when they stylus got to the run out it did then have the surface noise once it got to this patch.

Just wondering what they do the plant - is it left over residue from something?

I don't want to return it if it is nothing to worry about as the record itself is excellent. 

I have actually had this on a previous record too which I returned as the whole record was actually not great sounding, but this one the recording is not affected, just in the runout on side A.

Just curious what it is......

IMG_7520 copy.JPG

I have just bough an album and have a similar marking, but mine is on an outer edge. The record plays perfectly, which was suprising.

Interestingly, it is also a Columbia Records product and has same Red centre label (Bruce Springsteen Nebraska 2015 RSD release)

2 minutes ago, NoCoder said:

I have just bough an album and have a similar marking, but mine is on an outer edge. The record plays perfectly, which was suprising.

Interestingly, it is also a Columbia Records product and has same Red centre label (Bruce Springsteen Nebraska 2015 RSD release)

That is interesting, mine is like a smear on the run out groove and yes a Red Label Columbia Record. It plays perfectly, but once it get to the end of Side A where the mark is (which is quite large) there is surface noise. I would just love to know what it is and if it is safe. I am going to order a replacement and will likely send it back (it is from Amazon US), but really would have preferred to keep it as the LP is flawless otherwise. I have wet cleaned it but it does not come off.

31 minutes ago, April Snow said:

That is interesting, mine is like a smear on the run out groove and yes a Red Label Columbia Record. It plays perfectly, but once it get to the end of Side A where the mark is (which is quite large) there is surface noise. I would just love to know what it is and if it is safe. I am going to order a replacement and will likely send it back (it is from Amazon US), but really would have preferred to keep it as the LP is flawless otherwise. I have wet cleaned it but it does not come off.

Looks like Hazing to me.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Looks like Hazing to me.

I thought that too but surely not after such a short time frame.

52 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I thought that too but surely not after such a short time frame.

This record came from US and a new release from Sony in October 2020 - the LP Vinyl itself was inside a printed inner sleeve. 

Edited by April Snow
8 hours ago, April Snow said:

This record came from US and a new release from Sony in October 2020 - the LP Vinyl itself was inside a printed inner sleeve. 

Plastx will get it off.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Plastx will get it off.

Not heard of that for vinyl, isn't that a car product?

But you have reminded me I have some revirginizer in the cupboard, so might hit that spot with that product  - maybe that will pull off/out whatever this residue is from the pressing plant 🙂

Edited by April Snow
3 hours ago, April Snow said:

Not heard of that for vinyl, isn't that a car product?

But you have reminded me I have some revirginizer in the cupboard, so might hit that spot with that product  - maybe that will pull off/out whatever this residue is from the pressing plant 🙂

I've used Plastx on some really bad LP's they I couldnt play and I play them now. Theres a video on youtube explaining how to use it.

On 26/12/2020 at 11:23 PM, April Snow said:

Yes, too short for hazing.....

• Like 1

Also try some isopropyl alcohol.  Use a cotton bud so you control exactly where you are cleaning, and test the area between the runout grooves first so you are confident it works before cleaning the areas your styli travels.  If it doesn't fix the problem, it might reduce the severity.  I'd try a peel with revirginizer first. 

6 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Also try some isopropyl alcohol.  Use a cotton bud so you control exactly where you are cleaning, and test the area between the runout grooves first so you are confident it works before cleaning the areas your styli travels.  If it doesn't fix the problem, it might reduce the severity.  I'd try a peel with revirginizer first. 

I tried the revirginizer but it didn't remove it, I think it is embedded in the manufacturing somehow. I have now ordered a new copy so will return this one I think. 

• Like 1