floorstanding speakers upgrade recommendation

Looking for an upgrade for my main floorstanding speakers.

Current main floorstanding speakers Monitor Audio silver s8, AVR: Denon X3600h. Budget up to $5k RRP. Movie / music: 80/20. Medium room open to a larger open living area.

upgrade requirements / wish list

1. Get a bigger scale sound (mainly for movie). fill the room etc
  2. Though music is not a higher priority, hoping this new one has some entry level hi-fi such as precise sound stage etc. 
  3. No plan to upgrade the Denon AVR so this speaker should be relatively compatible with it and do not require higher end amp to achieve acceptable results.

Appreciate any recommendations in advance. 

Thanks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not if the amplification isn't up to the task, and the better the speaker the more it will expose an incapable or unsuitable amplifier.  

Exactly. All anyone else can do is to assist you by giving a informed opinion based on experience and ownership.   If it is your  judgement that the greatest benefit can be gained by re

Monitor Audio are good speakers before going upgrade path can you try upgrade your amplification and  speaker cables to bring the true potential.   In my case, when I started using Monitor A

Bass performance for movie replay is not the concern at all. I have dual sub already (one of them PB3000).  MA silver s8 has enough high-mid range details. I just wish it has bigger scale sound to fill my room in movie replay. of course a bit more bass is always welcome.

Edited by blackhole

2 hours ago, blackhole said:

Looking for an upgrade for my main floorstanding speakers.

Current main floorstanding speakers Monitor Audio silver s8, AVR: Denon X3600h. Budget up to $5k RRP. Movie / music: 80/20. Medium room open to a larger open living area.

2. Though music is not a higher priority, hoping this new one has some entry level hi-fi such as precise sound stage etc. 
  3. No plan to upgrade the Denon AVR so this speaker should be relatively compatible with it and do not require higher end amp to achieve acceptable results.

:welcome: to the forum...

I suspect that upgrading the main speakers will not have as big an impact on the sound of movies as you would like.  I used to run high end active speakers for my front 3 speakers but now use small speakers.  Movie sound can be improved by increasing number of the speakers (Atmos?) and optimising their placement.  Can you please provide a sketch of your room as well as where the speakers are and where you sit.

Movie sound can also be improved by room correction software.  Suggest you check that you have run Audyssey properly and tweak it as required. Maybe boost the left and right speakers after the Audyssey run?  

Playing music on an AVR is always a compromise.  Music can be improved by using Dirac Live or Anthem Room Correction, where you can get a more precise sound stage.  Unfortunately, Audyssey is not good with music and you have stated that you do want to change the AVR.

35 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

:welcome: to the forum...

I suspect that upgrading the main speakers will not have as big an impact on the sound of movies as you would like.  I used to run high end active speakers for my front 3 speakers but now use small speakers.  Movie sound can be improved by increasing number of the speakers (Atmos?) and optimising their placement.  Can you please provide a sketch of your room as well as where the speakers are and where you sit.

Movie sound can also be improved by room correction software.  Suggest you check that you have run Audyssey properly and tweak it as required. Maybe boost the left and right speakers after the Audyssey run?  

Playing music on an AVR is always a compromise.  Music can be improved by using Dirac Live or Anthem Room Correction, where you can get a more precise sound stage.  Unfortunately, Audyssey is not good with music and you have stated that you do want to change the AVR.

I used REW and then Audyssey. But that mainly is for the my subs set up. I can always raise the level for the main but louder sound is not equal to big sound. What I am after is a bigger scale sound. The s8 is a slim litter floorstander. I guess there is always a physical limit to it. right?

Edited by blackhole
1 minute ago, blackhole said:

I used REW and then Audyssey. But that mainly is for the my subs set up. What I am after is a bigger scale sound. The s8 is a slim litter floorstander. I guess there is always a physical limit to it. right?

Not sure why you are using both REW and Audyssey?  Audyssey (what version?) will set up  the bass as well as doing room correction.  What is REW giving you that Audyssey cannot?     

I am using small Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers in my large open plan family room (5m x 10m). Have an Arcam AVR550 running Dirac LIve in a 5.2 arrangement (Atmos one day...).  No problems getting a large scale sound. 

The room is the biggest determinant of the sound.  Doing room treatment and careful placement of speakers and listening position helps.  In the absence of room treatment, good room correction software will improve things.  

MA needs power to sound its best.

get a nice sub and your HT will transform also get a Integrated amp with HT bypass for music. your system will be transformed in regards to audio.

think a bit more detail is required about room sizing and speaker placement vs tv? seating position.

seriously seem to have the sub covered, the fronts in HT lucky to do 20% of the work so what centre are you running?

most manufacturers do not "match fronts with centre correctly anyway.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not sure why you are using both REW and Audyssey?  Audyssey (what version?) will set up  the bass as well as doing room correction.  What is REW giving you that Audyssey cannot?     

I am using small Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers in my large open plan family room (5m x 10m). Have an Arcam AVR550 running Dirac LIve in a 5.2 arrangement (Atmos one day...).  No problems getting a large scale sound. 

The room is the biggest determinant of the sound.  Doing room treatment and careful placement of speakers and listening position helps.  In the absence of room treatment, good room correction software will improve things.  

I used REW only to find out the good placements for the subs. then run Audyssey XT32 that comes with the X3600h for room EQ. 

seems all every advice so far focuses on room correction etc. I get that it helps to maximize what you already have. And I have done a lot of more than average HT users. For example, my previous sub has improved a lot by using REW finding the best placement but still can not hold a candle to the new PB3000 sub. With 40% larger MDF and bigger and more advanced driver, it simply just goes deeper and louder.   there is only so much you can do to improve by applying room correction. Say a $500 bookshelf would never sound in bigger scale than a say a $5k floorstander. 

4 hours ago, blackhole said:

Bass performance for movie replay is not the concern at all. I have dual sub already (one of them PB3000).  MA silver s8 has enough high-mid range details. I just wish it has bigger scale sound to fill my room in movie replay. of course a bit more bass is always welcome.

You really shouldn't have a problem getting a "large scale " sound from your Silver 8.  I have seen and heard them used in rooms up to 12x10 metres on a high quality amplifier.

In your situation I would say that amplification is lacking and a decent integrated amplifier with HT bypass would work a treat. The Silver eight are quite efficient but they will really give you exactly what you want with a premium two channel amp. You will be astounded by the difference.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rantan said:

You really shouldn't have a problem getting a "large scale " sound from your Silver 8.  I have seen and head them used in rooms up to 12x10 metres on  the end of a high quality amp

In your situation I would say that amplification is lacking and a decent integrated amplifier with HT bypass would work a treat. The Silver eight are quite efficient but they will really give you exactly what you want with a premium two channel amp. You will be astounded by the difference.

Silver 8 is later generation than my silver s8 I guess. definitely not the same model. mine was purchased back in early 2000. Just look at the slim body, I am sure there will be speakers that scale bigger.

Edited by blackhole
Just now, blackhole said:

Silver 8 is later generation than my silver s8 I guess. definitely not the same model. mine was purchased back in early 2000.

OK apologies for that . I wasn't entirely clear but my comment still stands. All MA speakers work fine with lower power but really respond to changes in amplification further up the quality and power scale.

I used REW only to find out the good placements for the subs. then run Audyssey XT32 that comes with the X3600h for room EQ. 

seems all every advice so far focuses on room correction etc. I get that it helps to maximize what you already have. And I have done a lot of more than average HT users. For example, my previous sub has improved a lot by using REW finding the best placement but still can not hold a candle to the new PB3000 sub. With 40% larger MDF and bigger and more advanced driver, it simply just goes deeper and louder.   there is only so much you can do to improve by applying room correction. Say a $500 bookshelf would never sound in bigger scale than a say a $5k floorstander. 

Understand how you are using REW. Incidentally, I use REW to integrate my 2 subs  with a program called MSO (see my About Me) before running Dirac Live.

I am not suggesting size does NOT matter. It is especially important for subs.  But if my little Apex A10s can fill my room and your much larger Silver S8s can't, something is wrong!  My initial reaction was fix the room physically and with software.  It could also be amplification as @rantan suggested.

However, if you are set on getting large speakers as your solution, I will leave you to it....

@Snoopy8 s8 is not that bad, volume is also not the issue. I don't typically push to high volume. But loud sound <> big sound. Say you have a bookshelf that is very efficient and you run it with a good amp at the very high volume without distortion. But say if a piano sound coming out from it will never sound like a bigger piano than the one from a larger floorstander even running in a medium volume. That is the difference between scale and volume. 

I guess  there is always a room for improvement. Especially for the s8, it is no where near high end anyway.

Edited by blackhole

Monitor Audio are good speakers before going upgrade path can you try upgrade your amplification and  speaker cables to bring the true potential.

In my case, when I started using Monitor Audio Silver 8 floorstanding, It was not so impressive compared to my Klipsch RP260F (Klipsch have great impact, dynamics which are special in it's own way)

But, based on feed back from @rantan and other fellow SNA members. I upgraded my interconnects, speaker cables . All this upgrade items are entry level items.

Monitor Audio floorstanders are balanced speakers, in my setup it does not require a subwoofer. 

Edited by Drunken Monk
Update
  • Like 2

@Snoopy8 s8 is not that bad, volume is also not the issue. I don't typically push to high volume. But loud sound <> big sound. Say you have a bookshelf that is very efficient and you run it with a good amp at the very high volume without distortion. But say if a piano sound coming out from it will never sound like a bigger piano than the one from a larger floorstander even running in a medium volume. That is the difference between scale and volume. 

I guess  there is always a room for improvement. Especially for the s8, it is no where near high end anyway.

With stereo, you can improve the sound stage and scale with better speakers, DAC, streamer, amplification, interconnects etc..  With home theatre, the sound stage is different, very much dependent on how it is recorded and decoded by the AVR. Yes, size of speakers, quality and power of AVR, interconnects have a role, but I would argue a lesser role. Let me use a source that you can download from

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Magnificat on my stereo setup has a wide, tall and deep sound stage and you can hear the scale.   However, in my HT setup, the sound stage is different, with the organ and piano is at the back  (not for traditionalist!) and you can get a sense of the church where it was recorded.  I get a sense of scale with both recordings.

With North Country II, which is predominantly a piano piece,  I prefer the stereo version rather than the HT version mainly because the piano is more life like in stereo.  Despite the SQ differences,  I still get a sense of scale with the HT setup.

And I do not play at volume either.  Quite a few SNA members have commented on how low my volume settings are!  I have used the classical pieces here because it can be downloaded easily but I can get a sense of scale with rock concerts, jazz etc with both my stereo and HT setups.  

Not sure what else I can say to convince you to look at the physical room, room correction software and amplification (Arcam AVR 550 has excellent power for an AVR) before going down the path of getting a bigger speaker...

• Like 2

To have your sound stage correct for all sources, using two speakers, ...surely that is the aim ? 

43 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

With stereo, you can improve the sound stage and scale with better speakers, DAC, streamer, amplification, interconnects etc..  With home theatre, the sound stage is different, very much dependent on how it is recorded and decoded by the AVR. Yes, size of speakers, quality and power of AVR, interconnects have a role, but I would argue a lesser role. Let me use a source that you can download from

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Magnificat on my stereo setup has a wide, tall and deep sound stage and you can hear the scale.   However, in my HT setup, the sound stage is different, with the organ and piano is at the back  (not for traditionalist!) and you can get a sense of the church where it was recorded.  I get a sense of scale with both recordings.

With North Country II, which is predominantly a piano piece,  I prefer the stereo version rather than the HT version mainly because the piano is more life like in stereo.  Despite the SQ differences,  I still get a sense of scale with the HT setup.

And I do not play at volume either.  Quite a few SNA members have commented on how low my volume settings are!  I have used the classical pieces here because it can be downloaded easily but I can get a sense of scale with rock concerts, jazz etc with both my stereo and HT setups.  

Not sure what else I can say to convince you to look at the physical room, room correction software and amplification (Arcam AVR 550 has excellent power for an AVR) before going down the path of getting a bigger speaker...

Hi,

I think you may need to look at supplying more power to your front speakers, perhaps a a power amp of 100+W/channel for the Monitor Audio Silver 8, as the amp has 600Watts max, according to the specs sheet, and all power outputs are to one speaker only, not all speakers driven.

http://assets.denon.com/DocumentMaster/AU/Denon_AVR-X3600H.pdf

An amp like this in the Classifieds would be the sort of thing to look for:

JJ

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi,

I think you may need to look at supplying more power to your front speakers, perhaps a a power amp of 100+W/channel for the Monitor Audio Silver 8, as the amp has 600Watts max, according to the specs sheet, and all power outputs are to one speaker only, not all speakers driven.

http://assets.denon.com/DocumentMaster/AU/Denon_AVR-X3600H.pdf

An amp like this in the Classifieds would be the sort of thing to look for:

JJ

@Janjuc

I agree a better amp will help but the biggest improvement is always from the speaker itself. E.G for an 8" sub increase the amp from 300w to say 1200w will certainly be better but the improvement will never beat the one from upgrading the sub from 8" to 12". And I am very sure the power upgrade to the 8" will be a waste of time and money in my room. At the end of day, 8" is still an 8". that is only that much you can do with an 8". Hope this makes sense.

X3600H has 105w per channel for two channel mode. It is not that short of power by any standard. And I already say I have no intention of changing the amp. I think the money is better spent on the speakers.

Also do not quite understand why everyone is so against upgrading speakers. It is not like upgrading amp can save some money? Common sense tells me the speakers make the largest difference in the HiFi world.

Edited by blackhole
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, blackhole said:

...but the biggest improvement is always from the speaker itself.

Not if the amplification isn't up to the task, and the better the speaker the more it will expose an incapable or unsuitable amplifier.  

• Like 4
16 hours ago, blackhole said:

Also do not quite understand why everyone is so against upgrading speakers. It is not like upgrading amp can save some money? Common sense tells me the speakers make the largest difference in the HiFi world.

Not against upgrading speakers, at all.  But you have chosen to ignore the room, placement, room treatment, amplification etc. , all of which have a significant impact on sound quality.  At the end of the day, it is your system and your money to spend as you please...

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not against upgrading speakers, at all.  But you have chosen to ignore the room, placement, room treatment, amplification etc. , all of which have a significant impact on sound quality.  At the end of the day, it is your system and your money to spend as you please.

Exactly.

All anyone else can do is to assist you by giving a informed opinion based on experience and ownership.

If it is your  judgement that the greatest benefit can be gained by replacing the speakers then it would be well worth visiting as many audio shops as you can to audition those speakers which will deliver the scale you seek. Opinions on  speakers will almost always be subjective and many of them will differ.

Good luck with it.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Also do not quite understand why everyone is so against upgrading speakers.

Because , you already have a good speaker, money spent on new speakers will have very lil improvement. While ignoring the room, placement, room treatment, amplification  and cables as mentioned by snoopy.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Because , you already have a good speaker, money spent on new speakers will have very lil improvement. While ignoring the room, placement, room treatment, amplification  and cables as mentioned by snoopy.

Guys, points taken. I have set aside a budget for a stereo power amp.  like this one. 200w per channel.

https://www.storedj.com.au/crown-xls1002-power-amplifier-2x-350w-4ohm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6KWjPCz0YnGSPV8vAMERzIA4iDOaHaDyVeSOOrYOpbQ7hLhV27jTe8aAtovEALw_wcB 

About 50% cost of my AV receiver. about right cost wise.

This does not conflict with my speaker upgrade plan though. As my next main floorstanders are going to be higher end so more likely to be more power hungry. And my out of date s8 are going to be my new surrounds (one of my current surround is sort of broken)

@rantan

Edited by blackhole
21 hours ago, blackhole said:

Guys, points taken. I have set aside a budget for a stereo power amp.  like this one. 200w per channel.

https://www.storedj.com.au/crown-xls1002-power-amplifier-2x-350w-4ohm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6KWjPCz0YnGSPV8vAMERzIA4iDOaHaDyVeSOOrYOpbQ7hLhV27jTe8aAtovEALw_wcB 

About 50% cost of my AV receiver. about right cost wise.

This does not conflict with my speaker upgrade plan though. As my next main floorstanders are going to be higher end so more likely to be more power hungry. And my out of date s8 are going to be my new surrounds (one of my current surround is sort of broken)

@rantan

I have three Crown XLS 1502's and if you can stretch a bit more money it might be worth it for the 6db better signal to noise ratio; a comparison from Crowns website between the 1002 and 1502 is below.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/compare?utf8=✓&product_ids[]=xls-1002&product_ids[]=xls-1502&commit=Compare+Selected+Products

Also, I'm pretty sure that all Crown XLS models convert the analog input signals to digital and back to analog regardless of what settings are selected.

If this is the kind of thing that bothers you then look elsewhere.

Also, the speakers I linked to previously are fairly high sensitive (Krix 95db, RSA 94db) so that means that they are considerably less power hungry than average sensitivity designs which I presume your current speakers are. If fact if you did get a higher than average sensitive speaker then you should try them with your current amp first and you may find that more power is simply not required.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1
On 19/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, blackhole said:

MA silver s8 has enough high-mid range details. I just wish it has bigger scale sound to fill my room in movie replay

If in case you want great dynamics and deeper Impact then you should try Klipsch RP series or Klipsch RF7 or Krix(if you prefer locally made).

Because the horn loaded klipsch and SVS sub makes a great combo with speed and accuray for great HT experience. With higher scale.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

If in case you want great dynamics and deeper Impact then you should try Klipsch RP series or Klipsch RF7 or Krix(if you prefer locally made).

Because the horn loaded klipsch and SVS sub makes a great combo with speed and accuray for great HT experience. With higher scale.

the RP-8000f and the wharefale evo 4.4 are on my list. just not sure which one has bigger scale sound. Just checking the body size, 8000f will win in scale - I guess. But the wharefale is supposed to be more refined. 

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

I have three Crown XLS 1502's and if you can stretch a bit more money it might be worth it for the 6db better signal to noise ratio; a comparison from Crowns website between the 1002 and 1502 is below.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/compare?utf8=✓&product_ids[]=xls-1002&product_ids[]=xls-1502&commit=Compare+Selected+Products

Also, I'm pretty sure that all Crown XLS models convert the analog input signals to digital and back to analog regardless of what settings are selected.

If this is the kind of thing that bothers you then look elsewhere.

Also, the speakers I linked to previously are fairly high sensitive (Krix 95db, RSA 94db) so that means that they are considerably less power hungry than average sensitivity designs which I presume your current speakers are. If fact if you did get a higher than average sensitive speaker then you should try them with your current amp first and you may find that more power is simply not required.

Good idea. the 1502 is only marginally more expensive anyway. 300w per channel sounds even more fun...

• Like 1
On 19/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, blackhole said:

just quoting the wish list again...

...I can't seem to find specs on the googleweb for the MA Silver S8 - is it this one

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/silver-5g/silver-8/ , which has dual 6" woofers

or this one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124490679008 , and I can't find detail on the size of the woofers

I've never heard Monitor Audio speakers, but everyone in the thread above says they're a good speaker.

AVR's will generally not provide as good a quality amplification as a stereo power amp (or a well regarded integrated amp) - especially if all amp channels of the AVR are driven. AVRs have a lot of tech crammed into 1 box, and there's only so many $ to spread around inside the box...and on amplification specifically.

...so I'm supportive of the above comments that recommend improving the amp for the main speakers.

On 19/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, blackhole said:

I agree a better amp will help but the biggest improvement is always from the speaker itself. E.G for an 8" sub increase the amp from 300w to say 1200w will certainly be better but the improvement will never beat the one from upgrading the sub from 8" to 12". And I am very sure the power upgrade to the 8" will be a waste of time and money in my room. At the end of day, 8" is still an 8". that is only that much you can do with an 8". Hope this makes sense.

Speakers make a big difference - IMHO a bigger difference than amplifiers make...I wish you'd made your example based on your MA Silver S8s rather than an 8" to a 12" sub, as I'd like to know how big your Silver S8 woofers are???...are they twin 6"?

IME there's nothing like bigger drivers to "fill the room" in the mid bass area - it comes down to the combination of cone radiating area (Sd) and driver excursion - smaller drivers need much more excursion to move the same air in the room as larger drivers - because area increases with radius^2.

Based only on driver diameter (ie pi x r^2), not actual Sd (the real driver cone radiating area):

• 2 x 6" is less cone radiating are than a single 10"
  • 2 x 8" is less cone radiating are than a single 12"
  • 2 x 12" is a a bit bigger than a single 15" (using the actual Sd of 2 x 12" drivers vs a single 15" driver would likely reverse this)

For impact and "scale", bigger/better speakers will fill a room better.

I went from 8" bass drivers to 18" bass drivers - the difference in mid bass was staggering...the 18"s still need a sub underneath.

On 19/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, blackhole said:

Common sense tells me the speakers make the largest difference in the HiFi world.

IMHO the room makes the largest difference in the HiFi world, followed by the speakers.

When I say "the room", I include in that speaker position, listening position and room treatment.

I add EQ down low where the absorption treatment loses effectiveness.

If you want impact and scale in your room above sub frequencies (say above 80Hz), then I would recommend bigger speakers, as IMHO big woofers are awesome...

...but I would also reach out to the generous people here on SNA to see if you could borrow a better amp to try out on your existing speakers - who knows, your current speakers might surprise you.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

There's a pair of Genesis 5 in the Classifieds for around $5K.

Multi-driver, dipole, active servo bass.

I used to own a pair and they are as dynamic (and natural) as you would wish.

On 19/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, Satanica said:

👍

but noting the Krix has a 10" driver and the RedSpade an 8".

The twin 6" of the OP's current Monitor Audio silver s8 speakers may have more "oomph"/impact than the single 8" in the RedSpade HE2, based only on size without knowing the Sd/excursion of the drivers in the OP's speakers or what Paul used in the HE2.

The 10" in the Krix should out-perform the OP's twin 6" in the MA Silver S8 in the mid bass area as far as "impact/filling the room".

Both of these examples are 2 way compared to the OP's current MA Silver S8 3 ways - there's another thread that heads down the rat-hole of 2 way vs 3 way 🤪

...and I run 3 way mains plus a single sub (essentially 4 way active)...so difficult for me to justify that either of those 2 ways linked in @Satanica's post would be superior to your current speakers...although I suspect their directivity/coverage pattern would be smoother.

@blackhole - if you're heading down a speaker upgrade path it would be worthwhile having a discussion with @Paul Spencer at RedSpade.

In my last speaker upgrade, I'd decided I would build a set of Geddes Abbey speakers, but ended up with Paul's PSE 144 horns (2 way) sitting on top of TD18 stereo mid bass - they sound great.

A decent sub or subs was always going to be required, so I built a large tapped horn "heavy lifter" sub for underneath the TD18's with twin 12" drivers (also RedSpade)...I've got all the bits to build a 2nd "filler" sub (something relatively small and sealed), but the low bass response in my room is fine with the single sub, so I haven't made any sawdust.

Mike

3 hours ago, blackhole said:

RP-8000f and the wharefale evo 4.4 are on my list. just not sure which one has bigger scale sound

Klipsch+SVS are better combo for HT, SVS 3000 is best in terms of size and performance in the svs sub range. Klipsch will be the winner for HT than wharfadale. If possible buy RF7s if budget allows.

Please demo and find which suites your ears better.

I use klipsch + SVS + Denon for HT , monitor audio cannot give the same movie experience in terms of movie sound effects/dynamics - klipsch wins. But Monitor audio is good for the 2ch stereo music ,where  Klipsch can not come near to that 2ch music performance of Monitor Audio Silver.

Both the brands are clear winner in its way.

As you use HT 80% klipsch might fit you better.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Thanks 1

@almikel the s8 is this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174565432160. size (90 x 18 x 27 cm). I doubt it is 3 way. 2.5 way at best. Maybe 5" bass driver.

91db sensitivity though. So I doubt the amplifier can make a huge difference. As I said, volume not an issue. And set it to small speaker and run it with dual subs so bass is also not an issue. Overalls not bad at all but hey who does not want an upgrade. It is not like I only had it yesterday. It been more than 15 years.

the Silver 8 is a later generation.  Then Silver 300, 500. They can all easily outrun the s8.

10 hours ago, blackhole said:

So I doubt the amplifier can make a huge difference. As I said, volume not an issue.

This is not correct, as many have said previously. A better amp will provide better sound and in some cases transform the speakers themselves. You have set aside budget for the amp which is wise and will demonstrate what other members have been saying.

Best course of action from here, as previously suggested, is to listen to some potential contenders, driven by quality amplification.

15 hours ago, almikel said:

...and I run 3 way mains plus a single sub (essentially 4 way active)...so difficult for me to justify that either of those 2 ways linked in @Satanica's post would be superior to your current speakers...although I suspect their directivity/coverage pattern would be smoother.

The OP has dual SVS PB3000 sub-woofers so my recommendations were based on those sub-woofers doing most or all of the work less than 80Hz and possibly turning those two way (Krix Megaphonix, Red Spage HE2) into three ways. I believe both of those speakers are better, more efficient and will provide higher SPL than the current speakers.

• Like 1
On 21/12/2020 at 9:42 PM, blackhole said:

And set it to small speaker and run it with dual subs so bass is also not an issue.

for me subs add subtle depth and weight, but your requirement to "get a bigger scale, fill the room" comes from better bass capability above the sub range, ie 80-500Hz.

Larger/better speakers will help a lot, as will a focus on the room's response, and to a lesser extent (IMO) "reasonable" amplification (ie like what you've budgeted for).

cheers

Mike

• Like 1
On 21/12/2020 at 8:20 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I use klipsch + SVS + Denon for HT , monitor audio cannot give the same movie experience in terms of movie sound effects/dynamics - klipsch wins. But Monitor audio is good for the 2ch stereo music ,where  Klipsch can not come near to that 2ch music performance of Monitor Audio Silver.

Both the brands are clear winner in its way.

As you use HT 80% klipsch might fit you better.

I must admit I don't quite get that main speakers can't be suitable for both stereo and HT.

IMO good main speakers should be capable of both.

I accept my system is only 2ch - but I watch plenty of movies on the same setup.

What changes in requirements between stereo and HT for main speakers?

cheers

Mike

• Like 1