Changing Marantz SR7002 AV because of standby protection fault - advice for next AV with Marantz sound

Hi all,

Enjoyed my Marantz SR7002 for 10years now. Needs fixing because of Standby Protection fault (rapid red light blinking!!!!)

$80 to look at, and then the rest!

Question: Is it worth fixing and how much would you spend on this type of Amp?

Otherwise investing into another AV, e.g able to buy SR7008 for around $1600 (ex-demo, shop unit at Challenge Hifi, here in Adelaide).

At the moment, important aspects are: same sort of sound - Marantz warm sound.

Driving 8ohm Ascension Speakers made by Adelaide Speakers - good combo for sound - Flat response, custom built by Edward like studio monitors. 3.0 setup at the moment because of space restrictions, but maybe later using 2x extra height speakers. But current setup was very good sound with front plane quite wide and full using the 3.0 setup.

Not so interested in bells and whistles of the newer models - Don't need wifi, bluetooth or even video processing! Just need audio processing, but similar or better than SR7002 at this stage.

Have Sony 55" X950H 4K for display. So Sony X700 is plugged directly into the TV with second HDMI out from player to Marantz for best codec and sound, while Optical out from TV for internal apps like Netflix. Option for ARC from Sony to newer AV!

Thanks,

Ron

11 minutes ago, ronlife said:

Enjoyed my Marantz SR7002 for 10years now. Needs fixing because of Standby Protection fault (rapid red light blinking!!!!)

$80 to look at, and then the rest!

Question: Is it worth fixing and how much would you spend on this type of Amp?

Maybe these can help?

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66/~/the-protect-indicator-comes-on-or-the-on%2Fstandby-led-flashes

https://askinglot.com/what-does-it-mean-when-my-sony-receiver-says-protect

11 minutes ago, ronlife said:

At the moment, important aspects are: same sort of sound - Marantz warm sound.

Only Marantz produces Marantz sound.  However, if you widen the criteria to being more musical, you can consider brands such as Arcam, Anthem and NAD.  What is your maximum budget?  

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

dont pay for a quote mate, take to Force Electronics, free quote

I'm a bit wary about anyone that offers "Free Quotes". Unless it's a well known common fault, the diagnosis takes time and effort. That costs money. Even using the term "quote" rather than estimate, is a bit of a bell ringer for me too. When you think about it, what's the going hourly rate for repairs? how long can they afford t spend on a proper diagnosis. 90% of the repair process is the diagnosis of the fault.

What some repairers do, if it isn't a straight forward obvious fault, is make the "quote" so high that you will decide not to repair, or if you do decide to proceed, they are gambling they will make enough profit to cover the gamble. It's one way of sorting out the money making jobs from the more difficult time consuming jobs. Not saying that company does this, just what I know some repairers do.

How do I know? I used to be in the business, and I know there was no way I could afford to give "free quotes". What I used to do was charge a nominal one hour fee for an estimate, if it wasn't an obviously visible fault, which was payable if the customer decided to not proceed with the repair. Otherwise it was just part of the repair process.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronlife said:

Thanks for reply. Up to $2000.

Assuming you are open to changing over from Marantz, here are some options.  The street price for a new NAD T758V3 is at your budget and used will be less.  A used Anthem MRX 710 will be under budget.  

23 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

hmm fair enough, i would be just as wary of a charge that became part of the repair. all repairs are sus these days unless you actually watch them do it... thats for anything

That's a very cynical point of view LOL

Thanks for all the input. Complete Electronic Services is a authorized Marantz repairer (if that means anything!), so I was thinking that they would find the issue with less time! So my $80 deposit would be put to good use and the next cost would below $210 (including the $80 deposit), after that I can choose to go ahead if needed. So I might be spending up to $210 for nothing. But is the SR7002 worth this?

I would love a new series 7, but is beyond my budget!

Maybe have a listen to Denon vs Marantz at Challenge Hifi, to see what I think of the sound!

4 minutes ago, ronlife said:

Thanks for all the input. Complete Electronic Services is a authorized Marantz repairer (if that means anything!), so I was thinking that they would find the issue with less time! So my $80 deposit would be put to good use and the next cost would below $210 (including the $80 deposit), after that I can choose to go ahead if needed. So I might be spending up to $210 for nothing. But is the SR7002 worth this?

Personally, no.  Google the used prices ...

You are better of putting the money into getting something from the Classifieds.

7 minutes ago, ronlife said:

Maybe have a listen to Denon vs Marantz at Challenge Hifi, to see what I think of the sound!

With your Marantz sound requirement, suggest skipping Denon (even though it is a sister company),  Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony..

• Like 1

Started with a Marantz but moved to an Anthem, much better sound for me.  I like warm.

As there is a new version of Anthem receivers arriving soon there maybe some great run out(trade-in) deals soon.

If only requiring 5 channesl, MRX520 is currently $2,299RRP.

• Like 2