FS: RADFORD MA25 Monoblocks & SC22P Preamp.

Item Condition: Excellent!
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Geelong.
State: VIC
Payment Method: Cash on pick up, Bank deposit
Reason for selling: Rationalising/Downsizing.

For your consideration is an exceedingly rare pair of RADFORD MA25 Monoblocks and their matching Radford SC22P Preamp with some amazing ownership history!

You will not find a better pair than these! They are something of vintage audio legend.

So, these three have been in my collection for quite some time, but before my ownership they belonged to (and I purchased them from) the industry legend John Barbuto. The very man who started JB Hi-fi. That's where the 'JB' initials come from! They were a very cherished part of his collection and were bought by John, via import from England, from the original owner and ex-head engineer of the BBC. Being his personal amplifiers for many, many years. You simply cannot get much better than that!

The MA25 amplifiers are in near perfect cosmetic condition and only 12 months ago received a matched quad of pre-war Tesla EL34's. Input tubes were new some 2-3 years ago. They have performed duties with a host of speakers and were particularly at home driving my Quad ESL57's. Famous for their transformers, these amplifiers DO NOT sound their age! A surprisingly and beguilingly fast, clean and transparent sound. Very enjoyable!

The SC22P preamp has been completely overhauled. Working flawlessly and in near mind condition. Alps pots replaced the lesser pots at the rear (L&R channel gain). All tubes replaced with NOS models (can't recall right now which manufacturer). And, of course, being a 'P' model it has its own power supply and does not require connection to amp/s to power up. (black sticker in picture was removed some time ago!)

Pick up is preferred. Should you require post please inquire to discuss options.

Price is firm.

Photos:

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_7100.JPG

• Like 7
  • Love 5

What a unique and beautiful set for sale.  I brought a Radford STA 25 from the seller, marvellous to deal with.  Radford amps are amazing, mine is happily driving a pair of Apogee Slant 6's at 4ohms which are notoriously hard to drive, thanks to its serious transformers.  GLWS

• Like 1

Having worked at JB with JB and listened to him talk about his hifi collection I can only imagine what he used to power with this gear. Probably some JBL’s, maybe even the pair he had built in concrete enclosures in a garage of one of his many homes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rosco8 said:

What a unique and beautiful set for sale.  I brought a Radford STA 25 from the seller, marvellous to deal with.  Radford amps are amazing, mine is happily driving a pair of Apogee Slant 6's at 4ohms which are notoriously hard to drive, thanks to its serious transformers.  GLWS

Hey @Rosco8 if you decide to upgrade I'd happily take the STA 25 of you hands, just let me know.

Edited by Willmax

On 18/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, Rosco8 said:

I was bummed when I missed out on the STA25, but as fate would have it, it turned out for the best!