Tonearm (parts) for Ortofon RMG309?

I have the remains of 2 RMG309's and I'd like to get one up and running if I can, to use on a 16" TT project I'm about to embark on.

In saying "remains" I have the weight/base/bearing shell assy, to complete it I believe I need the actual tonearm and headshell, possibly lifter etc.

Was wondering if there was a local that might be able to point me in the right direction for this? AKL NZ.

On a side note, I have a commonwealth 12/D TT in fairly good condition (Or some tubes) as a trade etc.

Cheers

MM

Purely out of curiosity, what's the 16" TT?  Would love to see pics, I'm imagining an old classic. 

You can buy lifters from the auction place, they are quite expensive for what they are.  However, lifters can be salvaged from a $10 turntable from a garage sale and put on other arm/tables.  If you are putting a long arm on it it may require more viscous oil/silicone in it to cope with the added weight. 

Regarding the arm tube, consider approaching an engineering workshop, one that does precision lathing.  Last year I got some parts made for a turntable/arm I was restoring.  Do some research on the material you want to use, and also consider experimenting with dampening in the arm - it can tame resonances but can kill the life if over-done.  There are some threads on this on VE and possibly AK from memory.  The headshell fitting could come from a donor arm, trashed "for parts" arms seem to come up on the usual sites

Finally, why would you ever want to consider letting go of a 12D?

The 16" TT is a Nippon Columbia, I'm following a fellow members lead who has previously restored 2 of these,  I'm going to do a restore, or possibly.... At this point I'm unsure if I'll keep it in the original cabinet or go for a new plinth.

It's in very good condition for it's age so I'm tempted to keep the original format.

The tube preamp and associated electronics is also in great condition, so at present I'm starting on a re-cap before I apply power to anything.

Regarding the 12/D, Not sure if I'll ever use it and I have plenty of other projects at this point.

Edited by MosfetMainac

• 5 weeks later...

Cheers,  still trying to find parts for the RMG309, not giving up but it does seem to be a difficult task at present.

My preference is to try and find original parts as I seem to always be short of the time it takes to produce bespoke units.

Here's a pic of the tonearm when I first got it

Ortofon.JPG

Edited by MosfetMainac