Hi all I’ve got a problem , I’m getting a triad system installed and I’ve used up all my coin. The guy that’s installing my system wants 3grand for a transparent 110inch 16 x 9 perforated screen. I do understand you need the right screen but this is what I will buy in the years time. I think the sound is way more important. Question I want to ask is I have a normal screen by Tauris 16 x 9 110inch. Is there a company that sells cheap transparent material that I can put on my existing screen, like take off the normal materials snd put on spandex transparent materials. I don’t like the bed sheet idea. 
many ideas would be good. Happy to spend about $500. Are those visulux transparent screens any good for a short time?

Edited by grasshoppa

there are several choices

1. tell the other guy quoting $3000  to jump of a bridge

2. class A audio sell some and they have been mentioned in previous threads as giving value for money

3. spandex is used when wanting acoustic transparent screen in a DIY situation. the best is to order from spandex world in the states. you want "milliskin matte black" for the first layer and "milliskin matte white" for the top. you maybe able to find in Oz but thats the stuff the avs forum guys use and it works. for that screen i would guess sub $170 delivered. you could try and source it locally but you will need to do some trial and error.

also need to make the frame etc... so the $500 from class A might be the go

Yep Spandex is the way to go.

You can get Spandex from many suppliers in OZ - I got a silver foil backed white spandex that doesn't require the black layer and this is IMO the best option as the silver gives it more gain (reflectivity) as long as you don't stretch it any more than just taught.

I built a 3.6mx1.55 (2.35:1) screen for less than $100 (I got the spandex on special from Spotlight).

And just to top it off Spandex been pretty much tested to be THE BEST AT screen material you can buy if you don't need high gain. So as long as you have a dark (Light Controlled) room it is your best option.

20190926_204047.jpg

Edited by niterida

Wow, yeah my room pretty dark, I have an existing screen made from tauris do you think if I take off the existing skin and putthe spandex over the little knobs will have to break skin then stretch on corners and work my way around thst should work?

10 minutes ago, grasshoppa said:

Wow, yeah my room pretty dark, I have an existing screen made from tauris do you think if I take off the existing skin and putthe spandex over the little knobs will have to break skin then stretch on corners and work my way around thst should work?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean - pics might help.

But if you mean can you cut the spandex and still stretch it without it tearing - then yes you can.

I had to cut the corners of mine because of the way I made the frame and it is fine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, niterida said:

Yep Spandex is the way to go.

You can get Spandex from many suppliers in OZ - I got a silver foil backed white spandex that doesn't require the black layer and this is IMO the best option as the silver gives it more gain (reflectivity) as long as you don't stretch it any more than just taught.

I built a 3.6mx1.55 (2.35:1) screen for less than $100 (I got the spandex on special from Spotlight).

And just to top it off Spandex been pretty much tested to be THE BEST AT screen material you can buy if you don't need high gain. So as long as you have a dark (Light Controlled) room it is your best option.

20190926_204047.jpg

Do you know the name of the particular spandex you got from Spotlight?

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

Get some proper fabric

http://www.seymourav.com/store.php

How will you attach it?

Thanks just looking at the options at the moment.

Not sure yet a how I will attach it but probably by wrapping the ends around a dowel or Dar and then fixing to back of frame. Will need to research what others have done.

5 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Get some proper fabric

http://www.seymourav.com/store.php

How will you attach it?

Spandex has been proven on AVSforum.com to be THE BEST AT screen material you can buy (as long as you have a dark room).

And also the cheapest by far.

4 hours ago, apgood said:

Thanks just looking at the options at the moment.

Not sure yet a how I will attach it but probably by wrapping the ends around a dowel or Dar and then fixing to back of frame. Will need to research what others have done.

Jump on AVSforum.com and do a search there - lots of people have done similar things.

4 minutes ago, niterida said:

Spandex has been proven on AVSforum.com to be THE BEST AT screen material you can buy (as long as you have a dark room).

And also the cheapest by far.

Jump on AVSforum.com and do a search there - lots of people have done similar things.

Thanks yeah I'm familiar with the AVS discussions on spandex and the reason why I'm considering it.

What I couldn't find when I went to the spotlight website was the silver backed spandex so was hoping you have the product name.

I'm still using my $22 roller blind from Bunnings as my screen and don't think about it much anymore. The image quality is very good, even on upscaled 720/1080p content, hence it doesn't occur to me that I have such a cheap diy screen. I have a UHD 75" Panasonic TV as my everyday driver for comparison.

Now, it was only ever intended to be a short term temporary screen, but since it's doing the job satisfactorily, I've spent what money I may have on a "proper" screen, on other things.

Tldr: If it's only temporary you really can't go wrong with this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/210-x-210cm-white-basic-indoor-roller-blind_p0044696

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/spandex-screen-visual-quality.3150162/

This saddens me greatly.....I didn't want to DIY a screen again! Now it looks like I'll have to! The economics are way too hard to ignore....

Thanks @niterida!

Any time 😉

It is amazing just how good Spandex is for an AT screen.

My 3600x1570 screen cost me less than $100 to build - thats for wood, fixings and the spandex !!

But I got the spandex on super special from Spotlight for $8m - unfortunately I have to redo the spandex since I bought the silver foil backed  version which worked really well with my older projector, but my new projector is much brighter and the silver backing is reflecting through the spandex now. So back to normal white spandex with a black spandex behind it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently gave the diy spandex screen a go and was disappointed with the results.

I ordered some milliskin matte spandex, a sample of white and black both 40 cm x 150 and placed it on a frame. I found if I did white on black it was too dark and white on white ruined the blacks. The best picture I could get was doubling the white over the black but even then the sharpness was not very  good even compared to my cheap ebay screen.  I tried different tension of the fabrics and found that minimum tension was best but still not great. 

It may have been the fabric I tried, it was from ebay. I did try Spotlight  but it was all a bit confusing in store and online I wasnt sure which was the best... 

can i ask who on ebay you ordered from?

i gave up on anyone in Aust. and got mine from spandex world in the U.S. thats who just about all diy people use on AVS forums.

what pj have you got?

not yet set up as still re modelling the room.

I bought the samples from here -> Nylon Spandex Matte Lycra 4Way Stretch Fabric DIY Craft Swimwear Dance Yoga Wear | eBay It seemed to have the same details as the spandex world so, I thought I would give it a go. 

I really liked the idea of getting a sample and trying before I buy the full amount. I really wanted to like the spandex screen but was really disappointed. . I've uploaded a couple of images if people are interested. 

I currently have an epson eh-tw5500, and I am looking to upgrade to either the epson 9400 or benq 5700. 

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

Yes, sound was good.

I put the make shift screen in front of one speaker, ran just that speaker and measured the dbs with a meter on the phone, it was pretty much the same with the screen present and not there.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been using a spandex screen for years and love it. To be honest I was happy with one layer of white minimum stretch inside my LP Morgan frame. Maybe because I have nothing behind it, about a meter gap to a black wall. Much better than the Seymour screen I was using. Bought it from remnants warehouse online. https://theremnantwarehouse.com/matte-spandex-plain-white-4413.html

Edited by christopher
  • Like 1