Denafrips Pontus discussion (was Review)

15 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Certainly

20201221_212247.thumb.jpg.31183029e4666d61bd164ab1bf61d3f0.jpg

I reviewed mine a while ago as best I could over here:

The only other SNA member I know has this exact unit is @DrMikeOz if you wanted a second opinion  :)

One thing to keep in mind is that Abbas products eschew features and convenience in favor of outright sound quality. So you get an on/off switch on the back and a single coax digital input.

Nice! Convenience and features just makes additional noise ? I'll have a read of  that other thread with your review

Cheers

Edited by Niktech
Spelling and grammar
  • Love 1

On 21/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, BrownMagic said:

There is no Pontus II yet. The dsp upgrade will still only be a Pontus I. I believe they will need to make a significant upgrade before they will give it the II monicker and that should be somewhere in the future. No timeline available right now.

An upgrade in line with the changes done in Venus II and Ares II ought to be expected soon, as Pontus II. 

On 21/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, Niktech said:

Yeah, it's just you, your ears and your brain ?

I consider that it is for all of us with our audio including you.  As I see it our systems are the journey and the destination is then is our listening with our ears and our brains .  Each of us and our respective systems are connected.

John

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 7502dan said:

Denafrips should have called the current pontus mk2 as they upgraded the power suply,fpga and dsp board just as they did to Venus 

27 minutes ago, 7502dan said:

Screenshot_20201223-164827_Samsung Internet.jpg

Same here mate. My Pontus was purchased in October, and I have all the upgrades too. It does seem strange not to assign it Mk II status. Hopefully a new model isn't just around the corner ?

2 minutes ago, Niktech said:

TBH, I hadn't lifted it above my head to look ?. I assumed perhaps it was on the underside of top plate.

Cheers

if you want to know if it has the updates,go to the denafrips(vinshine) there is a contact page where you can send the serial no,they will message you with the correct info,there after sale response is very good.

2 hours ago, ray4410 said:

the serial no for pontus is on the bottom panel.

if the dac is too hard to get at(eg,in a rack or with other stuff on top of it,which you shouldn't) if you still have the original shipping carton the pontus came in the serial no is on the carton.

1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

if the dac is too hard to get at(eg,in a rack or with other stuff on top of it,which you shouldn't) if you still have the original shipping carton the pontus came in the serial no is on the carton.

I've been tinkering again with Whites anti-vibration tape and blocks. 

20201224_061620.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, 7502dan said:

Actually in UK they call it Pontus 2

This is incorrect. I checked with Alvin. He advised that this is still Pontus I and the UK distributor has been asked to amend his website. 

And it is very much likely that depending on when you bought the Pontus, the components inside would be a little different. While the DSP board can be purchased by anyone, the other changes cannot be done by the user. 

• 2 months later...
On 23/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, 7502dan said:

Denafrips should have called the current pontus mk2 as they upgraded the power suply, fpga and dsp board just as they did to Venus 2.

7 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Both the Denafrips and Vinshine websites are now describing a Pontus II. However, the photo of the front has "Pontus", unlike the Venus, which has "Venus II".

Yes, they decided to call the Pontus with the new USB board and other changes the II to reduce confusion. And I guess that after they changed the front plate from the misspelling of Reversal to Phase another front plate change just wasn't in the cards.:)

Edited by GregWormald
added clarity