Seeking airy album recommendations...

Straight off the bat, I admit this sounds vague, but hear me out please :D

I've come across some wonderful albums and music where the recording captures the air in the room. It makes you feel more present in the music, making it envelop you and heightens the emotion. Digging a little further into each of the recording techniques for these albums, the common thread seems to be the recording method (recording the musicians together live or the mic'ing technique used for the instrument) and the room (to name a few). It might just be a coincidence and me liking a certain type of reverb, who knows.

Without thinking too hard, which "airy albums" would you recommend? :) 

These are a few that come to mind for me:

• Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
  • Miles Davis - ******* Brew
  • Anything from MA Recordings

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

P.J. Harvey - Let England Shake (recorded in a church)

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions (Church again)

Kings Of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street /  Declaration of Dependence

to name a few

• Like 3
  • Love 1

off the top of my head.

AIR - Moon Safari

AIR - Original Motion Picture Score For The Virgin Suicide

AIR - just about any of their other albums

Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

Mercury Rev ‎– Deserter's Songs

Elliott Smith - self titled

• Like 5

If you want to feel like you are listening in the room while they are recording, you'd be hard pressed to go past near anything engineered by Steve Albini.  His close mic'd recording with the room ambience a key part of his sound is nothing like most any other recording engineer on the planet.  Completely unadorned, very live, it shows whether the band have got it or not and how tight they can play. Heaps of dynamic range, all recorded analog and as quickly as possible.

He's recorded many a seminal record and still offers his services for very little to many up and coming bands. A patron saint of the underground.

Some examples: 

• Like 1

Try any album by Roy Buchanan 

Depends on the style you like and he has released albums in all genres 

So let’s try some Air, space on the album - Your Not Alone 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, scuzzii said:

This will be one that you like. A trio in same room with top recording equipment. 

https://www.discogs.com/release/11320736?utm_source=mobile&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=Android App

R-11320736-1542385074-8946.jpeg.jpg

Screenshot_20201208-055529_Samsung Internet.jpg

@nowallet

Agree 100% with John's recommendation of Greensleeves.:thumb:

You could also include any of the 'Closer To The Music' series or Vinyl Collection on Stockfisch Records here.

Also, one other that some here might find unusual to fit what you're looking for, but Paul Kelly and Paul Grabowsky - Please Leave Your Light On album I find delightful to put on late at night and it feels like both are in the room with me...........just exceptional in that regard.

R-15712746-1596407618-3636.jpeg.jpg

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, hugo_wilco said:

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

P.J. Harvey - Let England Shake (recorded in a church)

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions (Church again)

Kings Of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street /  Declaration of Dependence

to name a few

Digging through some of these... so glad I know about the Muddy Waters album now. Nice picks!

• Like 2

Nick Bartsch's Ronin Live

https://www.ecmrecords.com/catalogue/143038752827/live-nik-bartschs-ronin

< Ronin around the world: a powerful and atmospheric concert recording with music captured in Germany, Austria, Holland, England, and Japan, a double-album which transmits the live impact of Nik Bärtsch’s band and its enveloping modular groove music of interlocking rhythms >

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/ph8r/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nik_Bärtsch's_Ronin_Live

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Nick Bartsch's Ronin Live

https://www.ecmrecords.com/catalogue/143038752827/live-nik-bartschs-ronin

< Ronin around the world: a powerful and atmospheric concert recording with music captured in Germany, Austria, Holland, England, and Japan, a double-album which transmits the live impact of Nik Bärtsch’s band and its enveloping modular groove music of interlocking rhythms >

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/ph8r/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nik_Bärtsch's_Ronin_Live

Loving this right now. The atmosphere this band creates is dark, dreamy and... whiskey... it would be complimented by a good whiskey :) 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, nowallet said:

Digging through some of these... so glad I know about the Muddy Waters album now. Nice picks!

@nowalletAlso have a listen to Mark Lanegan "Imitations".

It's like listening to a man whose balls have been drageed through 10km of gravel, then sits down lights a smoke, and drinks some whiskey to feel better!

Also Palace Music "Viva Last Blues" another Steve Albini produced masterpiece!

Edited by hugo_wilco
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, hugo_wilco said:

@nowalletAlso have a listen to Mark Lanegan "Imitations".

It's like listening to a man whose balls have been drageed through 10km of gravel, then sits down lights a smoke, and drinks some whiskey to feel better!

Also Palace Music "Viva Last Blues" another Steve Albini produced masterpiece!

I'm a decent-sized Mark Lanegan fan! Since finishing his book (which is incredible) I've been delving back into his musical history. Will check out Imitations :)

• Like 1

Not so much “there in the room” as “there in the barn/basement/cabin in the woods/derelict mansion/abandoned homestead/haunted circus tent”

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, hugo_wilco said:

Also Palace Music "Viva Last Blues" another Steve Albini produced masterpiece

I was going to suggest 'Arise Therefore', I'd say a there's a bit more 'room' in the mix. Plus it's just a devastating masterpiece in terms of songwriting.

On a different style, the Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett album 'Jasmine' might fit the bill?

Edited by ericd
  • Like 2

For a change of pace, try some Classical. On the Tacet label Beethoven's Symphony No.5 - Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra, Wojciech Rajski. Also any of the Beethoven performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Great recordings. 

• Love 1

Shawn Colvin-Cover Girl

Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis-Two Men with the Blues

JD Souther-Natural History

Lyle Lovett-Joshua Judges Ruth

The Flying Bulgars- Tsirkus

Where Joy Kills sorrow-Various Aussie Musos.[A cracker].

There are lots of them if you look.Al Schmitt tends to make recordings that excel at that open,airy ,vibrant sound and there are interviews with him where he explains the lengths he goes to to capture it-especially microphone type and positioning [and 40 years of experience].

• Like 2

I always enjoy these threads.

I sampled some Elliott Smith that @metal beat recommended, which made me think of Jeff Buckley's rendition of Hallelujah. On searching Tidal, I discovered none of his stuff in 'masters' quality, but did find one The Heights OST and it's very airy!

It's called New Year's Prayer. 

This album could be good in general. No idea what The Heights is. All my vague memory can come up with is a series from the 90s, but I doubt it's that, if that's even real. The track after Buckley is good too.

• Love 1

Lee Konitz, the Verve albums collection, Disc 1 contains the album Inside hifi. Recommend you listen to all the tracks leading up to Track 9 where you will be enthralled, glued to your seat, and every other superlative,  with track 9 onwards, as it is the most realistic recording I have ever heard. The recording was at Rudy van Gelder studios in October of 1956       https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/lee-konitz-inside-hi-fi-1956/

Your tolerance of all other recordings, might change having heard inside HiFi 

Buying 4 CD's with 8 albums withe Verve albums collection, noting some tracks on a few of the Discs end abruptly but that might be how they were edited originally , is the same cost as buying just the Inside Hifi album, in fact cheaper.

The infamous, as it is an exceptionally good recording, Jazz at the pawnshop,  should also get a mention.   

15 hours ago, Esoterica said:

I always enjoy these threads.

I sampled some Elliott Smith that @metal beat recommended, which made me think of Jeff Buckley's rendition of Hallelujah. On searching Tidal, I discovered none of his stuff in 'masters' quality, but did find one The Heights OST and it's very airy!

It's called New Year's Prayer. 

This album could be good in general. No idea what The Heights is. All my vague memory can come up with is a series from the 90s, but I doubt it's that, if that's even real. The track after Buckley is good too.

💯 I've sampled all the recommendations in this thread - some great finds and a lot of fun exploring new artists :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

Lee Konitz, the Verve albums collection, Disc 1 contains the album Inside hifi. Recommend you listen to all the tracks leading up to Track 9 where you will be enthralled, glued to your seat, and every other superlative,  with track 9 onwards, as it is the most realistic recording I have ever heard. The recording was at Rudy van Gelder studios in October of 1956       https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/lee-konitz-inside-hi-fi-1956/

Your tolerance of all other recordings, might change having heard inside HiFi 

Buying 4 CD's with 8 albums withe Verve albums collection, noting some tracks on a few of the Discs end abruptly but that might be how they were edited originally , is the same cost as buying just the Inside Hifi album, in fact cheaper.

The infamous, as it is an exceptionally good recording, Jazz at the pawnshop,  should also get a mention.

Listening now to Lee Konitz. This is a great recommendation, thank you!

"Your tolerance of all other recordings, might change having heard inside HiFi "

One of the minor negatives of this hobby - you begin comparing the amazing stuff to lesser recordings (which have fantastic music). I try to stay open but i'm sure i fail often.

On 14/12/2020 at 1:45 PM, nowallet said:

💯 I've sampled all the recommendations in this thread - some great finds and a lot of fun exploring new artists :)

Check out any Jeff Buckley? Besides being one of the best singer-songwriters of our time, his stuff generally sounds a bit airy. Probably from his voice/style mainly.

45 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Check out any Jeff Buckley? Besides being one of the best singer-songwriters of our time, his stuff generally sounds a bit airy. Probably from his voice/style mainly.

Absolutely. Big fan from way back :) I love the space in the Grace mix. Imagine what this kid could've done had he lived longer - such a tragic loss.

23 hours ago, nowallet said:

Absolutely. Big fan from way back :) I love the space in the Grace mix. Imagine what this kid could've done had he lived longer - such a tragic loss.

There must be something to the fact that many amazing artists die so young. Buckley, Cobain, Morrison, Hendrix, Marley etc.

At least their music is everlasting.

• Like 1

Jon Hassell - Last night the Moon came dropping its' clothes in the Street . Partially live , trippy sound washes , also Maarifa Street if U like this .

John Zorn - Midsummer Moons . Two guitarists , prob close miked , sitting right in front of you . Prob the 'prettiest' music ever from Zorn

Biosphere - Dropsonde  . Introspective electronica from Geir Jenssen , live samples and hypnotic bass lines  . My top track  ' Triple Time ' 

Jan Schulte - Tropical drums of Deutschland ( yes really ) . A new-ish release , has gongs , birds , drums , gamelans , etc in abundance . Spooky realism in parts 

Ry Cooder & VM Bhatt - Meeting by the River . Fantastic reference recording on valve mikes in a chapel . World music , blues influences 

Lyle Mays - Self Titled . Try ' Slink ' , or ' Teiko ' . Vast soundscapes in parts , emotional . RIP Lyle 

Mickey Hart - Planet Drum  , or At the Edge . Amazing 3D sound , will give your woofers a workout . Try 'Pigs in Space ' really loud after a couple tokes ..

Trilok Gurtu - Living Magic . Digital recording on CMP label 

Tibetan Bowls - Vlasta Marek  . Not everyone's cup of tea but wow those floating decaying ringing tones just kinda reach out and occupy the room . Also Tibetan Singing Bowls - 33 Bowls

Crossfire - Direct to Disc . World class Aussie jazz outfit recorded live to actual cutting head in The Basement , Sydney 1977 . The vinyl version is outstanding , still IMO ...

Somebody stop me ...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

zbigniew preisner, lisa gerrard and dominik wania - Melodies of my youth

The above without lisa gerrard - twilight. (if you like solo piano)

Grouper - Ruins