White's rubber pad cut into strips

These White's rubber vibration pads are so useful.    I am experimenting (again) with how to isolate a heavy turntable.  I haven't yet built a big massive plinth for the Rek-o-kut because I read about some other ideas.  Because it has such a massive metal motor board and platter, some people have made skeletal support for it.  Now the old box plinth it came on is only thin wood, but I got this idea that I might put isolation between the table and the box plinth.  Initially I tucked some rubber pads under each corner.   The result was the quietest yet.  Vibration from the big massive motor was inaudible.   So, I cut one pad into strips and used it to support the table right along the front edge, and half of the back edge.   It's working so well, I think I won't need to make a massive plinth  (although I do need to repair the box plinth to make it look good :) ). 

2020-12-07_10-25-09.jpg.baaa8f2d07ddcf2ca924f3c4f32c9ae0.jpg

• Like 1

Incredible value for money, those 'White' pads from Bunnings, and extremely effective especially with wooden floors and unsuspended turntables.

I use them under the (unsuspended) turntable, under the t/table support etc.....

2 minutes ago, Mono Stereo said:

Incredible value for money, those 'White' pads from Bunnings, and extremely effective especially with wooden floors and unsuspended turntables.

I use them under the (unsuspended) turntable, under the t/table support etc.....

I wonder if somewhere like Clarke's rubber would have bigger sheets of it.  Stuff like they use for childrens playgrounds might work too.

Still, I just could buy many White's packs from Bunnings

my local gym has its floors covered in what looks like 40x40cm blocks of 7-10cm thick rubber pads, similar to the black fused-particle Whites blocks. it handles people dropping 30-40kg weights on it etc.

I'm not sure how you would source them however. I think Bunnings has something similar but only like 1 inch thick

also at Bunnings in the gear for outdoor playgrounds they have rubber mats, about 12mm thick and roughly 1x1m. they come in various colours 

• Like 2

The White's rubber comes in different sizes in Bunnings, there are some very large squares, and - from memory - there is also a roll of it.  Have a look at the range next time you are in the store. 

I've used the pads for feet under components.  I think they would be very good for feet for a heavy idler plinth, because the anti-vibration properties are probably designed for a heavy load (eg. washing machine).  The rubber waffle used in HVAC applications could also be good.  I am very curious to explore the HVAC vibration pads with some of this anti-vibration foam sandwiching some cork or foam.  I've read good reviews for hifi use overseas, where the blocks cost about a dollar.  Here they cost about $25each, and we pay $$$$$ in shipping to get them from OS. 

My stands are fairly non-resonant so I wasn't looking for heavy-duty vibration dampers. 

My father made some lovely round glass coasters out of very thin ply with some left over wool carpet glued to them. They absorb the condensation beautifully and, I found, do a great job under electronics. He used them carpet side up, I invert them.

Cheap too.

• Like 1

Bunnings used to sell meter squares of the stuff, I grabbed one for 10 bucks when they were clearing it at the time, then after that I noticed the packs of small squares.

Ended up under everything round here, even under the computer box/case.

Worked well everywhere except under the front loading washing machine, made that much worse! ironically. Edit: under the washing machine resulted in the machine going berserk! like it was break dancing 😬

Edited by muon*
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, muon* said:

Bunnings used to sell meter squares of the stuff, I grabbed one for 10 bucks when they were clearing it at the time, then after that I noticed the packs of small squares.

Ended up under everything round here, even under the computer box/case.

Worked well everywhere except under the front loading washing machine, made that much worse! ironically. Edit: under the washing machine resulted in the machine going berserk! like it was break dancing 😬

They have stopped my breadmaker walking off the kitchen bench and onto the floor.  Really useful thingies.

• Haha 1