System as current

Pioneer A 50 k

Wharfdale Reva 4

Schiit Modi multibit

Arcam CD92

Fiio M11 - audioquest cinnamon rca to 3.5mm

Bills Cables - Interconnects

Van De Hul CS122 Speaker Cables

I think the 1st upgrade will be the Amp, I've been keeping my eyes peeled in the Classifieds, is there any particular brands i should be looking out for? or Wattage?

Im also really keen on a schiit freya with tubes, will this intergrate well with my amp? (it does have an option to be just a power amp) or am i just being stupid.

Theres only so much research i can do, with out knowing the right questions to ask.

So from my system above if anyone can point anything out that may improve my system or suggest something i may be missing or any ideas at all really, i would very much appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Vince

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday i got to Visit 2 Hifi Shops, i listened to an ARCAM SA30 with Chario speakers via Airplay, (way out of my budget but that was on offer to listen too), I had asked something that was similar

Exactly.. u need a point of reference and the more systems you listen to the better your informed decision would be to a purchase Ditto.  What you like as in your system, your room, your music.

Amp definitely   Old Thomas explains it well here   Don't bother trying to use the Pioneer as a power amp. The Freya is good but use a proper 2 channel amp with it or loo

Amp definitely

Old Thomas explains it well here

Don't bother trying to use the Pioneer as a power amp. The Freya is good but use a proper 2 channel amp with it or look at a good integrated.

Don't worry about watts too much. 1 quality watt beats 200 average watts

Around $1k and up here gets you some really great gear and even some can be found for less than that

Try going to stores to listen to what you might like. You're spoilt in Melb

• Like 1

agreed! any pointers?

I'm aware its a great community here is it worth putting up a post in the WTB section with my budget in search of an amp?

see what comes in..

I've bought a few of my components via the forums except the amp, id only ever buy from here now.

I've listened to a few systems at various stores nothing remotely similar to my system though..

Thanks again for your input..

Vincent

Is there something specific your system is lacking at the moment? All the components look good so I'm wondering about your room set up, listening levels and how you chose it all, especially the speakers.

Does it deliver the volume you need? Have you heard something you prefer? Is there a particular artist or track that's missing something?

• Like 1

Here’s a list of amps you could look out for used or on sale but there is a lot more older options depending how old you are OK with. Freya’s used for around $700-800 so what’s left in your budget for the power amp?

Gumtree doesn’t have many ATM but there are some power amps like $500 Arcam and a large Denon integrated for $1200, plus in SNA classified a Rotel RB-1582 and Hypex ncore.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

Edited by Al.M
12 hours ago, RCAJack said:

Is there something specific your system is lacking at the moment? All the components look good so I'm wondering about your room set up, listening levels and how you chose it all, especially the speakers.

Does it deliver the volume you need? Have you heard something you prefer? Is there a particular artist or track that's missing something?

Volume is more than fine.

It's the clarity I'm after (I think), I did hear some dynaudio bookshelves at a members house when I was picking up something from the classifieds they packed a big punch and sounded like I could hear a lot more, for me it's the hardest to try and articulate what I heard, I know it was much better and gave me a feeling I was there with the music. Not just sounded better but felt better.

I think also "separation of instruments" ( I think that's what u call it) too is lacking not just any one thing though.

Walking away that day changed me. Lol

The Amp I got for $500ish around 5 years ago as an impulse buy, I think it was ex demo, and over 50% off and they guy talked me into it (I had a pair of castle knight 2's at the time) which he said it was perfect for.

Everything else has been purchased from here.

The speakers I got cos I saw them and fell in love with just how they looked (stupid I know) and they were so much cheaper than what they were brand new I thought surely must be a bargain! 

I've always dreamed of having floor standers too. I didn't put a whole lot or research in I must admit but I feel I've come a long way in the last year. 

Listening levels? Is this volume or distance?   

Room setup is quite confined, speakers are about 2m apart (tv in between) and I sit in the centre about 3m away. Both speakers directed at me.

Thanks for the questions.

12 hours ago, Al.M said:

Here’s a list of amps you could look out for used or on sale but there is a lot more older options depending how old you are OK with. Freya’s used for around $700-800 so what’s left in your budget for the power amp?

Gumtree doesn’t have many ATM but there are some power amps like $500 Arcam and a large Denon integrated for $1200, plus in SNA classified a Rotel RB-1582 and Hypex ncore.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

Duly Noted!

I have seen that list while browsing!! ill pay closer attention.

Thanks for the recommendations. 

1 hour ago, PotatoCake said:

I understand that feeling 😅

Without knowing about the rest of the system you heard, maybe Dynaudios (or similar monitor style speakers) are worth checking out further?

A bit of a guess from me is that your current speakers would sound better when they can be cranked harder, spread out in a big room. But at that point, it’s loud and maybe louder than you like to listen normally?

It’s probably a hassle but it’d be good if you can try a new amp with your speakers before you buy anything. 

3 hours ago, RCAJack said:

I understand that feeling 😅

Without knowing about the rest of the system you heard, maybe Dynaudios (or similar monitor style speakers) are worth checking out further?

A bit of a guess from me is that your current speakers would sound better when they can be cranked harder, spread out in a big room. But at that point, it’s loud and maybe louder than you like to listen normally?

It’s probably a hassle but it’d be good if you can try a new amp with your speakers before you buy anything. 

Well said, that just maybe the case when i get my new amp... hahaha

I think you are right they do sound better when they are cranked, and they are in the biggest room of the house. funny you say that when i listen in front of them they arent "that" loud but when i go to take the bins out i can hear them down the street..... strange!

Ideally iI'd like to try an amp, but im also well aware that may not happen, I'm ok with that too.

Cheers for your input

You already expressed an interest in things with tubes, so why not try a tube amp? I recommend anything from Weston Acoustics but there are a lot of options.  What I have is a good example, and does not sound too warm, just sounds good.  I only paid $2200 here, so you could snag a bargain if you try.

3 hours ago, wen said:

I agree with @Wimbo, that Bladelius would make your Wharfedales sing, great price and great pedigree

Thanks Wen for your recommendation. I've put a post in the WTB section for a primare or a tubed freya, the Bladeluis is very much on my Radar i just want to broaden my horizons and see whats out there. 

15 minutes ago, dr_carl said:

You already expressed an interest in things with tubes, so why not try a tube amp? I recommend anything from Weston Acoustics but there are a lot of options.  What I have is a good example, and does not sound too warm, just sounds good.  I only paid $2200 here, so you could snag a bargain if you try.

5 minutes ago, Eggmeister said:

An Ayre ?

Thanks guys for both of your input, as I've just said i have put a post up in the WTB section, I'm now looking for a Primare I32, or a Tubed Freya, if i get the Primare thats that, well obviously not for ever... if i get the Tubed Freya i will intergrate it with my current amp even though not ideal i like the idea of hearing some minor details and will be on the hunt straight away for 2 channel power amp.

if i get offers of anything else ill be sure to post it in here to get your opinions. if neither happen i will also look into other avenues as both of you have suggested something else. my budget is $2k though can be swayed if its something really special..

Thanks Again

Vincent

On 06/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, PotatoCake said:

agreed! any pointers?

I'm aware its a great community here is it worth putting up a post in the WTB section with my budget in search of an amp?

see what comes in..

I've bought a few of my components via the forums except the amp, id only ever buy from here now.

I've listened to a few systems at various stores nothing remotely similar to my system though..

Thanks again for your input..

Vincent

I agree with the one good watt comment, BUT!! Those Reva 4's will love an amp with headroom (more watts).  If I were you, I'd leave everything else alone (for now) and look at a good amp with at least 150 watts output. (both channels driven).  It's not about the volume, but how the amplifier will 'control' the speakers.

What you need to decide before any purchase is, what you like about your current set up, and what you want to improve about it.

Buying 'hifi' s/hand is way less of a lottery (usually) for condition and not being abused. Beside which, there will be many who have heard/owned the amp in question,  and will be able to advise about it's 'sound' (forward, smooth, dark, etc).

Realistically those Reva4's should last you some time (upgrades), and paired with a good amplifier, you can take your time looking for a good upgrade for your CD player, and know the following components are perfectly capable of delivering the improvement.

Next question is, TUBE or SS?

• Like 1

Maybe the Vincent SV 237 currently listed for 1400.00. Hybrid tube pre/ss power 150 watts per. Think there's a lot of proponents here, including me. It's in Sydney. Probably 100.00 + to ship as it's quite heavy. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Graywulf said:

I agree with the one good watt comment, BUT!! Those Reva 4's will love an amp with headroom (more watts).  If I were you, I'd leave everything else alone (for now) and look at a good amp with at least 150 watts output. (both channels driven).  It's not about the volume, but how the amplifier will 'control' the speakers.

True.  Since the Reva can dip down to 3.9ohms, best to look at an amp that can handle a 4ohm load up to 200w's per channel.  Since you're looking at upgrading the pre to a Freya...why not look at this. - https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

18 hours ago, Graywulf said:

What you need to decide before any purchase is, what you like about your current set up, and what you want to improve about it.

Buying 'hifi' s/hand is way less of a lottery (usually) for condition and not being abused. Beside which, there will be many who have heard/owned the amp in question,  and will be able to advise about it's 'sound' (forward, smooth, dark, etc).

Realistically those Reva4's should last you some time (upgrades), and paired with a good amplifier, you can take your time looking for a good upgrade for your CD player, and know the following components are perfectly capable of delivering the improvement.

Next question is, TUBE or SS?

watts, it make sense when u put it like that.

I think ill only every buy 2nd hand HIFI from  now on, and only from here, simply for the reasons you've stated.

I've only ever had good expediences in this community, 

TUBE or SS, I will let u know..

7 hours ago, djmt said:

Maybe the Vincent SV 237 currently listed for 1400.00. Hybrid tube pre/ss power 150 watts per. Think there's a lot of proponents here, including me. It's in Sydney. Probably 100.00 + to ship as it's quite heavy. 

Hahaha indeed there is, ideas and amps..

i did notice that  Vincent amp, Fantastic Name!!

6 hours ago, MrBurns84 said:

True.  Since the Reva can dip down to 3.9ohms, best to look at an amp that can handle a 4ohm load up to 200w's per channel.  Since you're looking at upgrading the pre to a Freya...why not look at this. - https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Gorgeous looking unit! doubt the stars would align for a freya and vidar to come up in the Classifieds.

cheers

i wouldn't worry too much about the order of the components you upgrade. i'd just purchase whatever that pops up in the second hand market that i'd want first.

just some food for thought. there was a point where i was running speakers with a ht receiver. i went from that to a pretty substantial upgrade to pre/power separates. whilst there was some improvement in refinement, the overall sound signature of the speakers remained the same. having liked the dynaudio's you heard, speakers would be the first thing i'd focus on if you were to prioritise the components in your upgrade path.

Edited by pezzy
  • Like 1
On 09/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, PotatoCake said:

Gorgeous looking unit! doubt the stars would align for a freya and vidar to come up in the Classifieds.

cheers

13 minutes ago, pezzy said:

i wouldn't worry too much about the order of the components you upgrade. i'd just purchase whatever that pops up in the second hand market that i'd want first.

Yep..patience is needed to assemble a system in mind waiting for ones on the classifieds...  sometimes you just never know..  My luck has usually been wait for a few month..got sick of waiting..ordered one..and a week later they pop up on the classifieds.. 😠

• Haha 1
On 07/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, PotatoCake said:

I'm now looking for a Primare I32, or a Tubed Freya.

Never heard I32 but I auditioned I25 and it was very close to Devialet 220pro. Which means very high level of details and overall great performance. You might get something similar with Freya or Western acoustics + good ncore or purifi power amp.

Keep in mind the sound signature of class D amp is not for everyone.

8 hours ago, pezzy said:

just some food for thought. there was a point where i was running speakers with a ht receiver. i went from that to a pretty substantial upgrade to pre/power separates. whilst there was some improvement in refinement, the overall sound signature of the speakers remained the same. having liked the dynaudio's you heard, speakers would be the first thing i'd focus on if you were to prioritise the components in your upgrade path.

Speakers are on the cards now too, I'm still firm in wanting to upgrade my amplifier though.

Patience, its harder said than done, ill be keeping an eye out in the 2nd hand market for both now

I've convinced the other half  that this weekend we will be visiting some hifi shops!  Getting my head and ears in the game, taking notes of what i hear.

8 hours ago, MrBurns84 said:

Yep..patience is needed to assemble a system in mind waiting for ones on the classifieds...  sometimes you just never know..  My luck has usually been wait for a few month..got sick of waiting..ordered one..and a week later they pop up on the classifieds.. 😠

Touche' hahaha, I'll see how I go

7 hours ago, Irek said:

Never heard I32 but I auditioned I25 and it was very close to Devialet 220pro. Which means very high level of details and overall great performance. You might get something similar with Freya or Western acoustics + good ncore or purifi power amp.

Thats good to hear about the Primare! 

Will keep in mind, ill see what i can listen to in the mean time i figure i have to listen to as much as i can while i can, to me its all hypothetical until i can decipher whats what to my ears.

Cheers All!

6 minutes ago, PotatoCake said:

Be very careful about this. The Primare is somewhat old school  class D in its sound characteristics and is quite strident and antiseptic. Plenty of  detail to be sure and as clean as a whistle but just make sure you can live with this on a long term basis.

**Before the hoards descend upon me, YES, I have owned one and I am very familiar with the sonic signature. It is by no means a bad amplifier but it is polarising.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rantan said:

Be very careful about this. The Primare is somewhat old school  class D in its sound characteristics and is quite strident and antiseptic. Plenty of  detail to be sure and as clean as a whistle but just make sure you can live with this on a long term basis.

**Before the hoards descend upon me, YES, I have owned one and I am very familiar with the sonic signature. It is by no means a bad amplifier but it is polarising.

That's why it's always better to have 2 or more amplifiers. 🤣

On 11/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, rantan said:

On 11/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, Irek said:

That's why it's always better to have 2 or more amplifiers. 🤣

I agree with these comments.

My main amps, are tube, my preference (tube pre, as well)

I love being able to tube roll to tailor my sound  to my ears.  I left SS amplification in the early/mid 90's (an 'evergreen' Arcam A40) and never thought I'd return to it, but shock horror, earlier this year I bought my friend's (also my tech) SS monoblocks, as my 2nd/main amps. 

I'd not heard SS amps I liked, even though he had frequently said that modern transistors are far more linear in operation than back then, and can indeed sound very 'tube like'.

These amps are LM chip based (Linear Module) from what he said, many of these can sound "quite horrible" but these ones are the Texas Instruments (LM 3664 or 8664, I think?) which he said are  the best version. Paired up with a good power supply and all high quality components, they sound bloody good. Good enough I bought them from him (these were his personal amps till he built his big 400+wpc amp). I did get a chance to listen to another chip based amp, and it was as described above 'polarising' (I hated it's sound tbh).

My speakers are quite 'revealing' and do not match well with forward/sharp equipment (to my ears, too harsh).

I guess why I'm relating this 'expansion' is that often we do end up with more than one amp, I also have a 2nd (main/spare) pre amp, although it's very similar in design (cathode follower) one is 6SN7 based, the other 12AU7, Tubes that are supposed to be similar in operation, but they (pre amps) deliver quite different sonics. One a lot more open, airy the other while not lacking detail would be considered 'polite/warm' in it's signature.

So with 4 pieces of equip' I can set up 4 completely different 'mix'n'match' systems, all of which I enjoy, but I have my 'preferential combination' obviously.

• Like 1
On 07/12/2020 at 1:15 PM, PotatoCake said:

Volume is more than fine.

It's the clarity I'm after (I think), I did hear some dynaudio bookshelves at a members house when I was picking up something from the classifieds they packed a big punch and sounded like I could hear a lot more, for me it's the hardest to try and articulate what I heard, I know it was much better and gave me a feeling I was there with the music. Not just sounded better but felt better.

I think also "separation of instruments" ( I think that's what u call it) too is lacking not just any one thing though.

The Amp I got for $500ish around 5 years ago as an impulse buy, I think it was ex demo, and over 50% off and they guy talked me into it (I had a pair of castle knight 2's at the time) which he said it was perfect for.

Everything else has been purchased from here.

The speakers I got cos I saw them and fell in love with just how they looked (stupid I know) and they were so much cheaper than what they were brand new I thought surely must be a bargain! 

I've always dreamed of having floor standers too. I didn't put a whole lot or research in I must admit but I feel I've come a long way in the last year. 

Room setup is quite confined, speakers are about 2m apart (tv in between) and I sit in the centre about 3m away. Both speakers directed at me.

Thanks for the questions.

I agree with others that you probably need a new amp.  

In terms of your visit to ya mates place, I daresay you could capture that sound easily enough for some modest $outlay, but my caution might be that you can be sure he played music that suited his system, and so even if you bought his exact system it might not turn out as satisfying for other types of music (not to mention room size/type effects in your own house).  I have been blown away by mates' systems but then later found them underwhelming once I understood what strengths those systems were showcasing.  Which just goes to show what a treacherous hobby this can be for your bank account, be careful out there👍

Edited by tripitaka
On 11/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, rantan said:

I think thats what I'm after, plenty of Detail, Yet  after this weekend i may have to rethink my whole game plan.

7 hours ago, Graywulf said:

I agree with these comments.

My main amps, are tube, my preference (tube pre, as well)

I love being able to tube roll to tailor my sound  to my ears.  I left SS amplification in the early/mid 90's (an 'evergreen' Arcam A40) and never thought I'd return to it, but shock horror, earlier this year I bought my friend's (also my tech) SS monoblocks, as my 2nd/main amps. 

I'd not heard SS amps I liked, even though he had frequently said that modern transistors are far more linear in operation than back then, and can indeed sound very 'tube like'.

These amps are LM chip based (Linear Module) from what he said, many of these can sound "quite horrible" but these ones are the Texas Instruments (LM 3664 or 8664, I think?) which he said are  the best version. Paired up with a good power supply and all high quality components, they sound bloody good. Good enough I bought them from him (these were his personal amps till he built his big 400+wpc amp). I did get a chance to listen to another chip based amp, and it was as described above 'polarising' (I hated it's sound tbh).

My speakers are quite 'revealing' and do not match well with forward/sharp equipment (to my ears, too harsh).

I guess why I'm relating this 'expansion' is that often we do end up with more than one amp, I also have a 2nd (main/spare) pre amp, although it's very similar in design (cathode follower) one is 6SN7 based, the other 12AU7, Tubes that are supposed to be similar in operation, but they (pre amps) deliver quite different sonics. One a lot more open, airy the other while not lacking detail would be considered 'polite/warm' in it's signature.

So with 4 pieces of equip' I can set up 4 completely different 'mix'n'match' systems, all of which I enjoy, but I have my 'preferential combination' obviously.

I really like your setup, i think this would be ideal for me (though not on that scale), having a couple of different things at any one time, the fact you can mix'n'match sounds something special to me. I'm yet to hear a  proper tubed setup, this i will be looking forward too!  when do you feel the need to mix'n'match? is it mood or genre of music based? or something completely different?

45 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

I agree with others that you probably need a new amp.  

In terms of your visit to ya mates place, I daresay you could capture that sound easily enough for some modest $outlay, but my caution might be that you can be sure he played music that suited his system, and so even if you bought his exact system it might not turn out as satisfying for other types of music (not to mention room size/type effects in your own house).  I have been blown away by mates' systems but then later found them underwhelming once I understood what strengths those systems were showcasing.  Which just goes to show what a treacherous hobby this can be for your bank account, be careful out there👍

True, but i also did get to bring along my own cd,  which i got to listen too, it was different, so much so that i raced home without taking more boots off plugged everything in put the cd on, sounded good, just not... that good.

The room was larger, didn't have any room treatment that i could see. obviously lots of different factors involved, which im well aware, the underlying thing is i now know it can sound better!

I will be careful, thank you

• Like 1

Yesterday i got to Visit 2 Hifi Shops, i listened to an ARCAM SA30 with Chario speakers via Airplay, (way out of my budget but that was on offer to listen too), I had asked something that was similar to Primare though.

Instruments sounds were crisp and separation great, the vocals didn't sound super exciting . came back home re played the track and still  find myself doubting  what i heard. 

going into HIFI shops has never been an easy thing for me, i have never had a bad experience i just find them uncomfortable.

I didn't get to listen to anything in other shop it was pretty busy, I did get to have a quick chat with  a sales guy who was very nice and polite, I explained my situation the best i could, he too suggested to upgrade my speakers, he recommended the LS50s, even then they werent plugged in.

Quite Frankly this is much more harder than what i thought it would be,

One thing i do know is, i need to listen to a hell lot more systems before i can make a decision.

I'm starting to feel this journey may be a long one

Thanks to everyone for they're  input in thus far! please know I'm trying to absorb as much as i can.

and.. I'm really trying to be patient. 

Vincent

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, PotatoCake said:

One thing i do know is, i need to listen to a hell lot more systems before i can make a decision.

I'm starting to feel this journey may be a long one.

You have started the journey the right way.  As you listen to more systems, you will be able to discern more differences and get to refine what you like. At the end of the day, all that matter is what you like!  And enjoy the journey of discovery...

• Like 1

That means alot, cheers.

Like one of the guys said to me the other day if someone says it's the 'best' it means they like it, it someone says its the worst it just means they don't like it. 

• Like 1
On 07/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, PotatoCake said:

The more you reduce the room acoustics of what your hear then generally the better.

I recommend you try and sit closer (2 to 2.5 metres ) and if so adjust the speakers so they continue to be directed at you.

And the closer you sit the more efficient your system will be and this will reduce system distortion.

Edited by Satanica
2 hours ago, Satanica said:

I recommend you try and sit closer (2 to 2.5 metres ) and if so adjust the speakers so they continue to be directed at you

Done and Done! :)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

You have started the journey the right way.  As you listen to more systems, you will be able to discern more differences and get to refine what you like. At the end of the day, all that matter is what you like!  And enjoy the journey of discovery...

Exactly.. u need a point of reference and the more systems you listen to the better your informed decision would be to a purchase

9 hours ago, PotatoCake said:

That means alot, cheers.

Like one of the guys said to me the other day if someone says it's the 'best' it means they like it, it someone says its the worst it just means they don't like it. 

Ditto.  What you like as in your system, your room, your music...  i learnt that the hard way from gtgs in the past... 

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

The more you reduce the room acoustics of what your hear then generally the better.

I recommend you try and sit closer (2 to 2.5 metres ) and if so adjust the speakers so they continue to be directed at you.

And the closer you sit the more efficient your system will be and this will reduce system distortion.

Yep..reduce the sound interaction with the room and you will get a better sense of the system in play,  

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, PotatoCake said:

Most of the time this is true

On 13/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, PotatoCake said:

I think thats what I'm after, plenty of Detail, Yet  after this weekend i may have to rethink my whole game plan.

I really like your setup, i think this would be ideal for me (though not on that scale), having a couple of different things at any one time, the fact you can mix'n'match sounds something special to me. I'm yet to hear a  proper tubed setup, this i will be looking forward too!  when do you feel the need to mix'n'match? is it mood or genre of music based? or something completely different?

True, but i also did get to bring along my own cd,  which i got to listen too, it was different, so much so that i raced home without taking more boots off plugged everything in put the cd on, sounded good, just not... that good.

The room was larger, didn't have any room treatment that i could see. obviously lots of different factors involved, which im well aware, the underlying thing is i now know it can sound better!

I will be careful, thank you

Detail alone can end up quite fatiguing. It sounds impressive to start with, but after a short period of time (maybe 2-3 albums) it becomes tiring.  I can (and have) spent a day/night long listening session with my system, and I am still enjoying and relaxed after several hours.

To answer your question, I am loathe to part with equipment until it its superseded lol. Tube gear can be fine for many many hours, but one catastrophic valve failure can mean a trip to the tech. So I learnt to 'keep a spare'. Generally it's my 'just replaced' amp, so the one that was 'back up' for that gets sold. I have a '2nd' system in the bedroom that has KEF Concerto's and I sometimes plonk the reserve gear on that set up.

Re my bigger amp (more power) comment, my friend/tech built a 400+watt pc amp, and drives a pair of classic IMF TLS80 speakers with it (80 watt speakers) Taking into account different designs you can plug in the monoblocks I bought from him (120watt) and his 400+watt, and the 'control' on the bass at higher volume is noticeable.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, rantan said:

I also agree and prefer the musicality of I30 (Class A/B) over the I32 Class D.