Our favourite products of 2020

On 12/01/2021 at 8:39 PM, JC. said:

How well does this hold true for the jump to the H590 ?

Most reviews tend to profess that the H390 is 90-95% as good as the H590. I own a H390 and if I had the spare cash I would upgrade in a heartbeat - the difference is quite noticeable!

• Like 2

So, onto the Houdini cartridge adaptor thingymajig from The Funk Firm. We purposely held off on talking about this until we got a better sense of what it is capable of. But, upon first audition, excited is an understatement. This crept into our 2020 list at the very last moment, but the improvements it gave (on a MoFi UltraDeck with Ortofon 2M Black) were substantial.

So onto personal testing to get a sense that this aint no fluke, I bought one based on the above initial test for home use. Setup on a ProJect RPM10.1 and Supex SD900 IV cart, again the improvements were immediate and obvious. Better imaging, detail, air and a huge soundstage - even my wife remarked on the improvements ("are you really playing records still?").

This is one of those improvements were the cost is small but the improvements are huge. For some, the idea of paying $599 for this is ridiculous, but when this can improve your system far greater than an expensive tonearm change could (YMMV), this is the bargain of the year!

I will say it now - this is our runner-up Product of the Year 2020.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_01/7C155DC0-5D49-4577-93D7-59F1425C4B6F.jpeg.b9f7da5b7e333c8bc9b3daa471b6ed27.jpeg

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_01/765882EA-7F75-4944-AEA2-1C40E6D8AD2F.jpeg.5fedd0d3086cb5ca76e85c2033023bd6.jpeg 

Edited by Frank Prowse Hi-Fi
  • Like 2

• Administrator

Everyone I know is singing the praises of the Houdini at the moment. Arthur Khoubesserian definitely knows what he's on about though so I have no doubt it lives up to the hype. Looking forward to trying one out soon.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 4:09 PM, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

The WSlimLite wont be everything to everybody, but as a "toe dip" into their product range and what they can offer, we cant help but be incredibly impressed with what the brand can offer.

Interesting proposition the WSlimLite. Can you suggest some smallish bookshelf speakers that work well with this?

Thank you,

Jack

1 minute ago, Jack said:

Interesting proposition the WSlimLite. Can you suggest some smallish bookshelf speakers that work well with this?

Thank you,

Jack

Hi Jack, it really isn't fussy. We have got a great synergy going in store with the Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, but have also had it running with Elac Carina and Wharfedale Evo 4.2 with great success!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Hi Jack, it really isn't fussy. We have got a great synergy going in store with the Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, but have also had it running with Elac Carina and Wharfedale Evo 4.2 with great success!

Thanks. Food for thought!