International transport

This is me watching my hi fi system being packed and prepared for transport from Qatar back to Australia.

Nervous time. 

I am carrying my cartridge in my luggageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcd7.jpg.ec593f817964bc53a9a7abfb319a10a9.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcd6.jpg.a9b5eed1477e745214a4423be51e8648.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcd5.jpg.b1df965b3642a9847f8b697d59a56417.jpg

• Like 4

Nervous time :)

I remember doing the same coming to Aus, and remember being very nervous unpacking it all at this end. It all arrived fine though.

We had missus jewellery and her mums and all stuff her Gran left her. Missus is Italian and after the war a lot of Italians bought gold as it was safer than their currency so when het parents came we brought the lot in hand luggage we had some very interesting conversations at each customs as this at the 30 odd year old was carrying what looked like the crown jewels. Question were "is this yours" was asked more than once :)  it was kind of fun too seeing their faces.

Chris

Bit late I suspect, but I always cover up print on the box such as “Sonus Faber”.  Remove the temptation for various eyes along the way...

I also declare “electronic equipment” - never “hifi” or “stereo” or “musical instrument”.  

Make sure you’re insured!  Good idea taking some pics as it heads out the door!

Good luck!  It always sounds better in the next place!

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Bit late I suspect, but I always cover up print on the box such as “Sonus Faber”.  Remove the temptation for various eyes along the way...

I also declare “electronic equipment” - never “hifi” or “stereo” or “musical instrument”.  

Cant remember but I am sure when I moved there needed to be a detailed description on the box.

I was insured I think it came with the service.

Chris

2 hours ago, Sevoman said:

This is me watching my hi fi system being packed and prepared for transport from Qatar back to Australia.

Nervous time. 

I am carrying my cartridge in my luggageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcd7.jpg.ec593f817964bc53a9a7abfb319a10a9.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcd6.jpg.a9b5eed1477e745214a4423be51e8648.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcd5.jpg.b1df965b3642a9847f8b697d59a56417.jpg

Do you make the little models?

Chris

On 06/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, PicoWattson said:

Aside from the freight, I hope you make it on to a flight home as some 30,000 Aussies haven't yet been able to.

Yes it has been a worry. We are now at the airport and checked in, so I am becoming hopeful we will actually make it onto the plane. Such a terrible situation for so many people, through no fault of their own

On 06/12/2020 at 8:14 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

I am hoping that sending it all by air freight will mean less exposure to the perils of sea freight. I am less worried about the Sonus Faber labels than you. There is zero knowledge about decent hifi in this part of the world

Be sure it is insured by some plausible Insurer. Most of them wouldn't pay you a cent in most cases.

If it is through Forwarder / Mover - forget it.

I am in shipping and I know.......

If it is in container be prepared that everything will be unloaded in Custom Bonded Warehouse, and if it is not in the quote, it is costly.

Good luck 

I am (hopefully) collecting it directly from Perth Airport Freight.     gulp  !!!!!. 

We have not had a problem with shipping until now, So fingers crossed. 

All I have with me is my cartridge (My Sonic Lab Signature Gold) , secured in its little box and in my hand luggage.

image.png.7529252277a585fb5c7a5e7fdbe109ee.png

image.png.d9def845af84eec748f85ee2f8fbf8e9.png

59 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Welcome back Paul !!

Thank so much. I will get you to come over and listen once it is all set up. I look forward to coming in and listening to those Wilsons!

• 1 month later...

So the international air transport worked out without a hitch. Now installed on a series of three Solid Steel racks which work really well, very heavy and excellent isolation. My two EC monoblocks and SF Amati survived being in temperature controlled storage and are now happily mated to the rest of my gear. 

My listening room in Qatar was an over bright tiled floor room, but now in my home theatre room with very thick carpet and perfect for listening.

new setup.jpg

• Like 3

@Sevoman Glad it all worked out, that would have been a huge relief. Those solid steel racks look good, do you think they provide a sonic benefit?

I would say that the SS racks do isolate everything very well, but it is helped that they rest on a concrete floor (with spikes resting on the steel cups on the carpet). Maybe I should take the cups away and let the spikes go through the carpet as I did with the speakers.