Upgrade to Streamer DAC

1 hour ago, DanFi said:

Back to the original question now @Esoterica, without knowing your actual gear, sounds like you plug ethernet into the integrated and it sends it to the internal DAC and then through the amp??? I'd say you're most the way there. Ethernet is the way of the future in terms of streaming. Gets rid of USB issues. And you won't need to buy a DAC, streamer and USB cable which all adds up.

Actually, I control my Bluesound Node over wifi. That is connected to amp via optical. I've often wondered about wifi vs ethernet, but in my situation, I have 4G broadband, and the best reception I get is too far from hifi for a cable. Already got more than enough of those with a 7.1.2 speaker system and loads of sources. Anyway, I figurethat the Node is connected physically to the amp, so controlling over wifi shouldn't detract from the sound. It's always sounded good to great, just wondering what a different dac may sound like.

3 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Actually, I control my Bluesound Node over wifi. That is connected to amp via optical. I've often wondered about wifi vs ethernet, but in my situation, I have 4G broadband, and the best reception I get is too far from hifi for a cable. Already got more than enough of those with a 7.1.2 speaker system and loads of sources. Anyway, I figurethat the Node is connected physically to the amp, so controlling over wifi shouldn't detract from the sound. It's always sounded good to great, just wondering what a different dac may sound like.

Sorry. I meant network connection so wifi or ethernet is fine. Depends how the manufacturer has implemented. 

Didn't read you had a bluesound node. Try the coaxial connection instead of optical. This should give you a cheap improvement. You can also play with the analogue output from the bluesound and see if you can hear a difference in the DACs. 

A different DAC will always sound .... Different. Whether it's better is harder to notice. 

Cutting to the chase. Yes. I think an external DAC will help you. 

Search for a list of DACs to narrow down within your budget. 

I would suggest looking at DAC/streamer combo. 

39 minutes ago, DanFi said:

Try the coaxial connection instead of optical.

I have wanted to, but it's not the typical rca connection. It's 3.5mm coaxial, so it outputs analog iirc. Unless you can get 3.5mm-rca coax?

40 minutes ago, DanFi said:

You can also play with the analogue output from the bluesound and see if you can hear a difference in the DACs. 

I've done some testing and have determined the dacs in my main two integrated amps are of higher quality.

2 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

I've done some testing and have determined the dacs in my main two integrated amps are of higher quality.

If that is the case,  and you are happy with them, then your original post asking for a streamer DAC is a moot point.  You should then focus on getting a streamer only.  You already have posts about streamer options, and with differing opinions on what is good enough.  You should try a few things from the Classifieds and if they do not work, flip them for little, if no loss.

But if you are happy with using your computer, save the effort & money and sit back & enjoy the music.  :)  

On 13/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Snoopy8 said:

If that is the case,  and you are happy with them, then your original post asking for a streamer DAC is a moot point.  You should then focus on getting a streamer only.  You already have posts about streamer options, and with differing opinions on what is good enough.  You should try a few things from the Classifieds and if they do not work, flip them for little, if no loss.

But if you are happy with using your computer, save the effort & money and sit back & enjoy the music.  :)  

Mirroring snoop. Upgrading streamer can have a bigger effect on sq than upgrading DAC. Generally speaking. 

On 13/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Snoopy8 said:

If that is the case,  and you are happy with them, then your original post asking for a streamer DAC is a moot point.

Well they're ok, but like I've said, I wonder what a better standalone dac would achieve. Both mine are optional module add-ons, which may be fine, I'm just curious about a "serious" dac. Besides the one mentioned below, I have the HiDac module in my Pathos Classic Remix also.

On 13/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, DanFi said:

Have you considered the DAC streamer module for the primare?

The MM30? I have it. It gives you digital inputs, dac and wifi connectivity. Sadly this doesn't include Tidal or other streaming services. It only offers internet radio and network streaming, which I use way less than streaming services. It also gives control with an app, which isn't relevant in this discussion.

29 minutes ago, DanFi said:

Mirroring snoop. Upgrading streamer can have a bigger effect on sq than upgrading DAC. Generally speaking. 

Cool. I assumed the dac was more important, but will keep this in mind. I probably can't afford it for a while anyway, but will refer back to this when I'm ready to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Well they're ok, but like I've said, I wonder what a better standalone dac would achieve. Both mine are optional module add-ons, which may be fine, I'm just curious about a "serious" dac. Besides the one mentioned below, I have the HiDac module in my Pathos Classic Remix also.

Can you give examples of what you mean by a "serious DAC" ? 

I used to have individual components but now firmly in the camp of simplification. I think you are underestimating the value and the sonic performance of  a DAC within your integrated. It was designed to work together and should be optimised. 

Don't forget that an external DAC may need an external power supply to work best,  and will require good interconnects.

• 3 weeks later...

What about CA CXN V2 or the new(ish) Matrix Mini I3 Pro for a DAC/Streamer solution?

These are the x2 I'm looking at to replace my PS Audio NuWave DAC (10 years old), Aurelic Aries Mini Streamer (ROON End Point) + Aurelic LPSU + Regan re-clocker. Both are ROON endpoints which is critical in my decision making, any experience with these players?

I think I'm leaning towards the Matrix?