Sony Headphones Owners Thread

@ Bengineer - I don't need NC in my study.   But I tested it - it works very well.  I am retired, I don.t need it, but thought it would be nice to have just in case we decided to fly somewhere post-covid.

The other wizardry - I only use the EQ, but there is an EQ in the music app I use, so again, not much use for it. 

Mine XM3's sound better when connected with the cable. No wizardry, no digital signal processing. Analog to analog.

@Stereophilus -

I don't use my phone to stream anything. I have plenty of my own music on it. I only listen to music from my phone when on a walk. 

But I do have Spotify app on my PC and use it quite often to look for something new.  Noemally I use the Windows Groove music.

Thanks for offering to try something on your XM3's.

This one is pretty bad, probably the worse I so far encountered.  The vocals are distorted from the beginning, but at 0:18 sec it is bad -

It is a Supraphon recording which had a good name in the LP days. But after privatisation - who knows?

This one - spots of distortion from the start, but at 0:45 real bad

These are the worst that I have at hand.

Thanks

No real distortion. Listened on the Hifiman Arya ($2000+) off a CMA Twelve DAC/Amp ($2000+). The first track vocals are near my limit of peircing, but they aren't distorted. There is the occasional crackle or fuzz, but seems mostly independant of the vocals. There are some background strings that I can't imagine you can really hear on cheaper gear though, quite faint.

The idea of "keeping it analogue" only really works if that was their intent with the headphone. It means they designed the cup size, shape, driver selection and dampening to sound good with a anaoluge signal in.

They didn't do that. Instead of correcting with cup volume, dampening etc, they just correct it with the built in DSP. Keeps the cup size down, keeps it cheaper. Electronics is in there for the ANC anyway.

You listen to whatever sounds best to you, but its night and day difference. I have a pair. They sound like crap with analogue in, and passable when in wireless mode.

I can charge them later and see if the above tracks distort on them.

Very interesting comments about how they design headphones.  I thought that since at the end of DSP they have to convert to analog, feeding them analog in the first place must be better.

And my situation is like that. When I listen to the track in wired mode at normal volume, I only hear the bad distortion at 18 sec. In BT connection, at the same volume, I hear it all the time when they sing.

So what do you think? Do I have a bad 'copy' of the XM3, or is it that I bought the wrong type of headphones for my type of music?

I was thinking of perhaps buying the wired-only Sennheiser HD 599 which is supposed to be a good entry audiophile level, but can I be sure that they will handle tracks like this one without problems?

These days it is not possible to go to JB Hi Fi and try headphones, and Amazon does not offer no-questions-asked returns.

Thank you very much for your help.

You'll notice they work in wired mode even when off. Indicates they have no electronic conversions or DSP working in such a mode. Given they sound like crap when wired, lead me to think all the acoustic "design", or most of it, is done electronically. Not conventionally through dampening, cup volume, material, diffusion etc.

I think the XM3 is the wrong type of headphone for music enjoyment. Purely bought mine to have *some* music (some is better than none) with travel. Portable, ANC, wireless, small case. Has a lot going for them.

Maybe look at something lower end (the "better" the headphone, the more it'll reveal these flaws) but tuned well. Any headphone that is tuned well is enjoyable, IMO. Technical performaner or not.

With that in mind;  AKG K361 or K371 (or if you need wireless, the BT versions of each). Pick one that suits budget, isn't much between them. Might just be the right level of technical performance to enjoy the music, and not too much to start annoying you on poorly recorded music.

You must have misunderstood or did not read my last post carefully. The headphones do not sound crap when wired. or with BT on most tracks. They sound good.

They give the distorted bits on some tracks.  And in the wired mode it is much less than in the BT mode.

I agree with you that I got sucked into the hype of the XM3.  I may never use the NC, hands-free phone, etc.  I should have bought a wired-only type.

But it is too late. I have to live with it. The only way would be to hassle with Kogan and/or Sony that the headphone I have is faulty. And I don't think I would be able to convince them. I don't want to have the headphones passed around the country and then at the end of the day to accept them back.

I will use EQ, or fix some of the faults with Adobe Audition, or find better quality recording.

Eventually I may buy a wired pair of HPs, but it would be the bottom of the audiophile class - say the Sennheiser HD 599. That's all I can afford.

Sorry, didn't misunderstand. "Sound like crap when wired" is my view of them, they are very flat sounding and muffled, compared to something more hifi focussed in the same price range. For less money you can get a Senny HD6xx, which is worlds better, for example.

Anyway! Those AKG models are cheap. You can audition a pair at one of the DJ stores I'm sure. DJ City or StoreDJ etc. Might be worth a trip.

From rtings.com - "The Sennheiser HD 600 and Sennheiser HD 599 are very similar headphones in performance, and the HD 599 might offer better overall value. Their sound profiles are fairly similar, but the HD 599 are noticeably more comfortable and don’t feel as tight as the HD 600. On the other hand, they don’t feel as well-built as the HD 600. Some may find the HD 600 sound a bit more neutral."

I am thinking seriously about the HD 599 - currently for $302 on Amazon. The HD 600 are $448. I can't justify that for my use having bought the XM3 already. I will keep the XM3. I paid $290 for them at Kogan and we will find some use for them.

Had a look at AKG - too many models, very weird, mix of cheap and expensive, mostly closed back. Everything Studio and Pro, even for $50.  Not for me.

Sennheiser is a known brand and the HD 599 reviews are good.

Edited by aussie43

You don't actually seem to want help mate.

The HD6XX is the HD650. Not HD600. Don't buy a HD600.

In order of price, my recommendations for cheap headphones would be;

AKG K372 - HD560S - HD6XX

But it feels like you're just going to buy a 599 anyway.

If AKG is weird. Then so is Sennheiser. A mix of very cheap, very expensive, very very old unchanged models, rebadged models, models that are "crippled" versions to offer variety, retuned very old versions, Studio, aviation and hifi options. I didn't recommend the AKG because they are crap or studio headphones. They have been praised for their tuning and pricepoint. Ignore it, research it yourself, dismiss it and buy the brown/cream things, I don't mind.

And AKG and Sennheiser both founded around the same time in the same parts of the world. I'd actually say they are equally as known as each other ;)

"The Sennheiser HD 599 and Sennheiser HD 560S are closely-matched in regards to neutral sound. The HD 599 are more comfortable, have a better-balanced treble range, and a more spacious soundstage. The HD 560S offer a more stable fit, a more neutral bass and mid-range, better stereo imaging performance, and demonstrate slightly less distortion at high volumes."

Why would you recommend the HD 560S ($320 ) over the HD599 ($400) ?

I also have a similar discussion on another forum, and there is a guy there who has the HD598 (same as HD599), and he will test the tracks for me.

So if that goes OK, obviously I would be very focussed on the HD 599.

The above review mentions better-balanced treble range on the HD 599. It is trebles where I find the problems. I don't like the look of the HD 599, but have to sacrifice that.

Edited by aussie43

@aussie43 Yes, I hear the issue when I use my WH-1000XM3 ear phones.  I use Bluetooth connection from my iPad and play the links.  I hear audible tweeter distortion in the right channel with the first track you posted.  It occurs with tidal too, so it’s not an mp3 issue.

When i stream the track through my main hifi for comparison, there is no tweeter breakup, but the track is clearly dynamically compromised.  So it’s a recording that has some issues, and it is causing audible tweeter breakup in the WH-1000XM3.

I must say, with the second recording, I didn’t hear any tweeter breakup like the first track.  So maybe there is a further issue with your particular headphones...?

@Stereophilus

The track that I posted is particularly bad, but I can hear the distortion in short spots on many recordings of various origin. Opera, even some ABBA tracks have these spots.

It may be just a spot of harshness, not ringing, but still annoying. 

What would be your advice? To live with it?  Contact Sony and see what they say? 

1 hour ago, aussie43 said:

@Stereophilus

The track that I posted is particularly bad, but I can hear the distortion in short spots on many recordings of various origin. Opera, even some ABBA tracks have these spots.

It may be just a spot of harshness, not ringing, but still annoying. 

What would be your advice? To live with it?  Contact Sony and see what they say? 

I think it’s a design limitation of the headphones.  You might try Sony - possibly they will offer to exchange your headphones, but I think the issue will still be present in the new pair, to a greater or lesser degree.  My suggestion is to try a headphone design focussed on audio rather than noise cancelling.  I also would suggest trying (using the music you have posted) before buying to avoid disappointment. 

I think you got a Headphones built on a Friday. I had the series 1 of these for ages and they sound great and yes they do play better in NC mode, but never had there been distortion.  I would send back the cans.

Cheer

14 hours ago, arthurp said:

I think you got a Headphones built on a Friday. I had the series 1 of these for ages and they sound great and yes they do play better in NC mode, but never had there been distortion.  I would send back the cans.

Cheer

I can play with mine for days and hear no distortion if I avoid certain type of music.

Have you tried to play the tracks I posted links to? No distortion?

Yes, it is possible that I have a Friday or Monday job.  I bought them from Kogan cheaper than everywhere else, so maybe Sony sells rejects to him cheaper. Who knows. Or maybe they leave the QC to customers.

Edited by aussie43

Interesting observation: I notice the distortion on that first track is comparatively worse at lower volume levels.  If I listen via Bluetooth at high volume the distortion is barely noticeable, but at low volume, the issue seems more frequent and more intrusive.  This leads me to consider possible distortion generated through poor digital attenuation in the computer used.  It would be instructive to try a headphone amplifier for volume control (running max volume out of the computer), or trying different wired speakers to see if the distortion is reproduced at lower volume levels on a different transducer.

Also, I’m still not hearing any issue with the second track, which further suggests a possible “upstream” issue.

Not entirely reading all the posts so far and apologies if this is already considered.

To OP - have you checked you have the latest firmware installed on the XM3?

There have been several changes to the software and firmware, each revision having an effect on the sound quality (good and bad). 

I know there was a decrease in NC performance from a firmware 'upgrade' a few months ago but there are also 'improvements' to the DSEE sound equaliser.

You might want to research some of that before you go upgrading.

2 hours ago, WasM said:

Not entirely reading all the posts so far and apologies if this is already considered.

To OP - have you checked you have the latest firmware installed on the XM3?

There have been several changes to the software and firmware, each revision having an effect on the sound quality (good and bad). 

I know there was a decrease in NC performance from a firmware 'upgrade' a few months ago but there are also 'improvements' to the DSEE sound equaliser.

You might want to research some of that before you go upgrading.

Yes, I do have the latest FW version.

But this is about distortion in the mechanical parts. I am testing the HPs in a wired mode, with power OFF. The FW plays no role.

I have found videos on Youtube showing vocal ranges of various singers. Pavarotti, Bocelli, Elvis, Sinatra, Callas, Bartolli etc. 

The videos are compilations of short clips from other videos, and go from low tones to the highest.

My HPs start distorting around F4 which is 350Hz and goes on all the way to the highest F6. It seems that the noise is coming from the right cup, but not sure.

But when I generate and play a sweep of sine tones in that range it is clean. So it must be some harmonics or something.

And it is the same story in every video - they can't be all bad recordings.

I am sending them back.

Edited by aussie43

• 4 weeks later...

I’m finding the module inside the right ear cup can press on my ear. It becomes really uncomfortable. I’m a slim guy with a standard head and ears btw haha. 

Has anyone else experienced discomfort and how long can you comfortably wear them?

• 4 months later...
On 13/08/2020 at 8:33 PM, TheWretchedWorld said:

OK initial impressions
XM4 have ever so slightly better NC it is noticable but not by a huge amount not worth losing sleep over as an XM3 owner (this was tested switching between them playing jetliner white noise from my studio monitors so best case scenario, the XM4 may pull ahead more when it comes to cancelling more random sounds but I haven't really tested this) I ran the acoustic optimiser on both right before using

They both have a very similar sound signature. XM4 have a little bit more sparkle and air and bass seems tighter and more controlled (this gives me the impression that there is actually less bass but switching back and forth id say the quantity is the same its just that XM3 its a little looser.) They sound a bit bit less congested as a result
I was able to feed the same audio to both of them at the same time. Samsung phones have this nifty dual audio feature so I quickly swapped between them playing the same tracks volume matched.

TLDR XM4 are an improvement all round with lots of new features one of the most overlooked ones being that they pause when you take them off your head. Better battery life also.
Microphone sounds the same between both (a lot of people complained about unit to unit variance in terms of mic quality on the XM3 mine have been fine)
Noise cancelling is only slightly better
Sound quality is improved but it still retains that similar bass heavy sound signature. Tighter bass and more air and sparkle in the high frequencies (more resolving for lack of a better word) so if you didnt like the XM3 you wont like the XM4. (My XM3 pads have slightly more wear so take this with a grain of salt)

Probably not worth the upgrade as an XM3 owner if you are paying retail for them..... But if curiosity gets the better of you there is a difference albeit not a huge one.

After starting this thread

I would now add to this one.   Owing to recommendations, I purchased some refurbished XM4's from Sony via ebay.   $279 delivered and they look brand new.

Downloaded the Sony Headphone App to my Fiio M11pro and the Bluetooth connection was up in a jiff.      Yesterday and today I have been tweaking and getting use to the various options on the App.    The quality of the sound is super impressive.    Clear and detailed.  

I have it set to Noise Cancelling for the most part.   Serenity Now!!!!

I am not an Audiophile Headphone guy by any stretch.   But I suspect most folk wanting some quality, light weight, Bluetooth enabled headphones with noise cancelling, for travel and the like, would not go wrong buying these beauties.

Extremely happy with the purchase and look forward to getting out in the yard for some gardening/DIY business.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

The Z1R stock cable, although textured like something that cable with a fax from the 80s, is actually decent enough.

Unless there is a specific functional quirk, I'd stick with it. If you're chasing some sonic gains, I doubt you'd get any real world differences with something else for the Z1R.

If you're after some aesthetic differences, sure. Takes a normal 3.5mm plug. You don't need the locking/screw aspect, works with any push in. Z1R I *think* grounds off the middle ring oddly enough, so any 3.5mm based cable using a TS plug (tip, sleeve) or TRS plug (tip, ring, sleeve) where the R and S are tied together will work.

I'd love to make you one but don't have time to commit for a few months.

I wouldn't buy the Sony Kimber cable that they released for the Z1R. Seems to be a half arsed Kimber variant that has repotrs of going a bit green.

Got a budget and length / desires for it? Might be able to point you in the right direction.