Sony Headphones Owners Thread

6 hours ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

could do a head to head comparison and post impressions if enough people are interested.

I'd like to hear that from someone who isn't blogging for $$

The xm3 held resale value very well, for a good long time, so odds on you could grab the xm4 and then sell it on if need be with little loss

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Is it possible to use these headphones wired and turn off bluetooth/wireless?

Yes Bluetooth switches off when they are plugged in. But you definately want the headphone itself switched on even if you don't want noise cancellation as there is some post processing that takes place which makes them sound a lot better. They aren't really designed to be used passively (switched off) even with the wired connection.

54 minutes ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

The only major change cosmetic wise is this strange sensor like thing in the xm4 not sure what it's purpose is yet.

I take it thats the sensor inside the earcup? I'm pretty sure thats a proximity sensor, for autopausing when you take them off.

OK initial impressions
XM4 have ever so slightly better NC it is noticable but not by a huge amount not worth losing sleep over as an XM3 owner (this was tested switching between them playing jetliner white noise from my studio monitors so best case scenario, the XM4 may pull ahead more when it comes to cancelling more random sounds but I haven't really tested this) I ran the acoustic optimiser on both right before using

They both have a very similar sound signature. XM4 have a little bit more sparkle and air and bass seems tighter and more controlled (this gives me the impression that there is actually less bass but switching back and forth id say the quantity is the same its just that XM3 its a little looser.) They sound a bit bit less congested as a result
I was able to feed the same audio to both of them at the same time. Samsung phones have this nifty dual audio feature so I quickly swapped between them playing the same tracks volume matched.

TLDR XM4 are an improvement all round with lots of new features one of the most overlooked ones being that they pause when you take them off your head. Better battery life also.
Microphone sounds the same between both (a lot of people complained about unit to unit variance in terms of mic quality on the XM3 mine have been fine)
Noise cancelling is only slightly better
Sound quality is improved but it still retains that similar bass heavy sound signature. Tighter bass and more air and sparkle in the high frequencies (more resolving for lack of a better word) so if you didnt like the XM3 you wont like the XM4. (My XM3 pads have slightly more wear so take this with a grain of salt)

Probably not worth the upgrade as an XM3 owner if you are paying retail for them..... But if curiosity gets the better of you there is a difference albeit not a huge one.

117397724_631855161066455_798808087539215210_n.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 13/08/2020 at 8:03 PM, TheWretchedWorld said:

Probably not worth the upgrade as an XM3 owner if you are paying retail for them..... But if curiosity gets the better of you there is a difference albeit not a huge one.

thanks Louis...

Really appreciate your taking the time to do that!

• Like 1

The ability to connect to multiple devices at once via Bluetooth is another reason to consider the XM4 over the XM3 for some. 

EDIT - I see some people above have already mentioned this! 

Edited by commawaffle

On 28/08/2020 at 4:07 PM, commawaffle said:

The ability to connect to multiple devices at once via Bluetooth is another reason to consider the XM4 over the XM3 for some. 

EDIT - I see some people above have already mentioned this! 

I've read you lose the ability to listen using the higher quality codecs when they're paired with multiple devices... not ideal! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, commawaffle said:

What a weird limitation. I wonder why?

I reckon there’d be a technical limitation on available bandwidth. Having said that, wouldn’t be surprised to see a future software update with some additional smarts with how this is handled come into effect... or the WH1000xm5.

6 minutes ago, jkc91 said:

I reckon there’d be a technical limitation on available bandwidth. Having said that, wouldn’t be surprised to see a future software update with some additional smarts with how this is handled come into effect... or the WH1000xm5.

I feel like this would be a software update - it's just upgrading an already present feature as opposed to adding something new. It would be hard to package as something desirable for a new model I'd wager, as opposed to a firmware update. Then again, it is  Sony...

• 3 weeks later...

i purchased a pair today..Was going to go with the B&W px7, but after 5 minutes on my head i had enough of them. Not because they sounded bad, but found them very uncomfortable,. 
The Sony's on the other hand are very comfy and the sound quality to me, was very close to the px7's. Id be hard pressed to tell them apart.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am not an "audiophile" in the sense that I do not spend thousands on equipment. I am just a 77 year old guy who likes music - oldies, classical, opera.

I have my music on a PC, some mp3/320, some FLAC, and listen to music via a cable while playing Solitaire.

Recently with the Black Friday deals, I decided to splash out and buy the acclaimed Sony WH-1000XM3.  Not the latest model, but has aptX codecs including the Low Latency, should I wanted to use it with TV.

I was bitterly disappointed when I tried them playing my favorite opera pieces with Pavarotti and Joan Sutherland. It distorted some high tones, more than my other headphones - Audio Technica SR6BT.   Tried lots of other tracks, including pop and folk, and yes it is there and it is annoying.  I tried similar music on Spotify with the same results.

Due to my age I have to play back with a higher volume than young people would, but on the other hand, my hearing falls off on a slope after 1-2kHz, so the high tone distortion should not be so audible for me. But it is.

I can get rid of it by reducing 2-4kHz band by 10 dB in EQ.  But is it right to have to do that on headphones of this price and reputation?

What would be your opinion and advice?   Return it? Live with it and use the EQ to remove it?

How do I convince  Kogan technicians that it is a fault, and should not be there?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Edited by aussie43

I am running them both ways.  With bluetooth they run aptX. The distortion is a bit more noticeable with bluetooth.

My daughter has the same model, one year old. I hear the distortion with them too. She never noticed, because she plays different music.

I am starting to believe that the problem is with the recordings.  I am discussing it also on another forum, and one response was that it is a common problem. Good headphones show faults in recordings.  Most of my music would be pretty old recordings - say 50 yo - so who knows what they did then. 

I also bought Avantree Aria Me headphones to replace my broken TV headphones, and I can't hear the distortion there.

But I don't think they are higher quality headphone than the Sony XM3. More likely the other way - they aren't good enough to handle the high pitch ringing tone.

I think I will have to keep the Sony headphones. I don't like the idea of sending them back to Kogan or Sony, and arguing with them. I would have to show that it is a major fault, and that would be hard to argue.

I’m returning my pair. The left channel was significantly louder than the right. I gave it to someone to do a blind test and they confirmed my suspicions. I turned off all the audio enhancements and doublechecked my phone L/R balance. Very disappointing. Not sure if I will go for another pair or try something else.

Don't run them off the cable. It bypasses all the DSP wizardry, and they sound dreadful.

Can you try them with the Noice Cancelling level set to minimum too?

The NC process may not sit well with your ears and hearing loss. I know it messes with my hearing.

Linked me to a song you hear it on, and I'll test on my system. See if it's the recording.

Do you stream Spotify from your phone to the headphones?  If so, try running the setup app on your phone, if you haven’t already done that.  I have those same headphones myself.  If you post a track you hear distortion on I’ll listen and let you know what I can hear.