Sporty (running/cycling) IEM’s for a 15yo using iPhone ~$150

Hi all.  I use Shure 525’s mostly for cycling, which have worked well.  I like the shape (block wind noise) and sound is good, although perhaps a bit too neutral (light on bass) for this purpose.

I’m after a set of IEM’s for my 15yo.  Need to be tough, somewhat weatherproof, and good enough sound for doing sporty stuff with an iPhone as source.  

Happy to look at used as well (but would be nice if at least looked new in original package!).

Can stretch, but would prefer to keep under $150 if I can!  Would appreciate some advice and info!

thanks all,

Mat

hmmmm.

So also forgot to add Bluetooth to the list.  There are so many brands I've never heard of, and "reviews" mostly seem to be "ads".  Likely too low-fi for Headfi....

ANY ideas?  Mat

My two bobs worth: I run a lot with headphones. I find iems really annoying. They get sweaty and fall out, they block out noise so I can’t hear cyclists coming up behind me on the path. Also I get a lot of “internal” noise like hearing my own breathing and the “thump” of each step.

I ended up buying a set of Aftershokz bone-conduction headphones. They sit on the bone behind your ears so your ears are completely open. 

issues? Yep the sound quality is pretty ordinary. But on balance they are good for me

Edited by sir sanders zingmore
  • Like 1

Thanks Zingers.  One issue there may be that sitting about, then cycling, then running - in that order - will be the use.  Will the sound of such a design be a bit junk for about-the-house use?

I've had suggested (used prices):

- sony wf-1000xm3

- Jabra elite 65 or 75

Maybe??  The Jabra may be the best bang for buck in this setting?

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
On 08/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Thanks Zingers.  One issue there may be that sitting about, then cycling, then running - in that order - will be the use.  Will the sound of such a design be a bit junk for about-the-house use?

Sorry @Mat-with-one-t only just saw your reply.

I think you are right, the aftershokz will not be great for about the house listening. 

On 08/12/2020 at 8:48 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

I've had suggested (used prices):

- sony wf-1000xm3

- Jabra elite 65 or 75

Maybe??  The Jabra may be the best bang for buck in this setting?

My concern with "true wireless" headphones like the sony or the jabra is how securely they would fit and whether they might fall out from the impact of running (that's apart from my personal concern about the dangers of having my ears blocked whilst running or cycling )

23 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Sorry @Mat-with-one-t only just saw your reply.

I think you are right, the aftershokz will not be great for about the house listening. 

My concern with "true wireless" headphones like the sony or the jabra is how securely they would fit and whether they might fall out from the impact of running (that's apart from my personal concern about the dangers of having my ears blocked whilst running or cycling )

Agree.  I personally use Shure’s when riding, but I keep the vol low.  I hate wind noise, so I find the compromise between blocking wind, hearing music and not hearing my surrounds works pretty well.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

My two bobs worth: I run a lot with headphones. I find iems really annoying. They get sweaty and fall out, they block out noise so I can’t hear cyclists coming up behind me on the path. Also I get a lot of “internal” noise like hearing my own breathing and the “thump” of each step.

I ended up buying a set of Aftershokz bone-conduction headphones. They sit on the bone behind your ears so your ears are completely open. 

issues? Yep the sound quality is pretty ordinary. But on balance they are good for me

That and that. I think these two points are really important, especially when cycling on roads shared with vehicles and trucks...

• Like 1

I use Jaybird x4 Bluetooth iem s for running. They are nice and secure with the comply foam tips that are included. I like that they still have a cable connecting the two ear phones so if I stop I can hang them around my neck and less chance of losing one. 

They sound good.

• Moderators

A vote here for the Jabra. I’ve used both the 65 and 75 extensively (I run about 2,000 km per annum), have tried many alternatives and these are my favourites. Sound is good, they are secure, reliable, block ambient noise effectively without NC but have good listen through when it’s needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 12:36 AM, DdDesign said:

I use Jaybird x4 Bluetooth iem s for running. They are nice and secure with the comply foam tips that are included. I like that they still have a cable connecting the two ear phones so if I stop I can hang them around my neck and less chance of losing one. 

They sound good.

I’ll look those up.  Cheers....

On 23/12/2020 at 6:09 AM, alistairm said:

A vote here for the Jabra. I’ve used both the 65 and 75 extensively (I run about 2,000 km per annum), have tried many alternatives and these are my favourites. Sound is good, they are secure, reliable, block ambient noise effectively without NC but have good listen through when it’s needed.

Have you found the 75 is worth the difference?  Also. I se there’s an “active” version of each (pricier) - are they the ones you use?

I use Airpods pro which I know are outside the budget, but I love the transparency mode which is like active noise cancellation in reverse, it amplifies outside sounds in the IEM so you can easily hear traffic and even talk with others when playback is paused.

The issue of wind noise when cycling can be greatly reduced by using https://www.cat-ears.com/ . Not exactly pro looking, but I use them on solo rides in conjunction with my airpods and wind noise is almost entirely eliminated.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Have you found the 75 is worth the difference?  Also. I se there’s an “active” version of each (pricier) - are they the ones you use?

The 75s are a good upgrade. Smaller, magnetically “snap” into the case. SQ is similar. Yes, I’ve been using the “active” (designed for sport/sweat) versions.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blybo said:

I use Airpods pro which I know are outside the budget, but I love the transparency mode which is like active noise cancellation in reverse, it amplifies outside sounds in the IEM so you can easily hear traffic and even talk with others when playback is paused.

The issue of wind noise when cycling can be greatly reduced by using https://www.cat-ears.com/ . Not exactly pro looking, but I use them on solo rides in conjunction with my airpods and wind noise is almost entirely eliminated.

Thanks mate.  I’ve made “cat ears” in the past (my own crap versions) and yes - a simple but effective solution!  I’ve found I hate wind noise more and more with age - it drowns out my tinnitus!  

I might try a real set.....